Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to get A or higher in all my exams. Computing is time consuming and risky. Its not one of those subjects where you can predict what grade you would get on results day or what grade your working at now. I have finished 1 CA and started a new one. My teacher has not told me or my class mates what grade we got. I'm less concerned about the exam as both CA add up to 60% and the exam is only 40%. Few weeks before our CA began, we did small preparation for it; when it came to the CA our teacher basically helped us out with the structure and our timing. My friend who goes to another school and doing the same exam board has a totally different structure for his CA compared to my and the one that my class mates have been taught to use by my teacher. This makes me uneasy. So should i drop computing or not?

All replies are much appreciated and it will be great if i got a reply from someone who is currently doing computing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexisSanchez2)
    I'm looking to get A or higher in all my exams. Computing is time consuming and risky. Its not one of those subjects where you can predict what grade you would get on results day or what grade your working at now. I have finished 1 CA and started a new one. My teacher has not told me or my class mates what grade we got. I'm less concerned about the exam as both CA add up to 60% and the exam is only 40%. Few weeks before our CA began, we did small preparation for it; when it came to the CA our teacher basically helped us out with the structure and our timing. My friend who goes to another school and doing the same exam board has a totally different structure for his CA compared to my and the one that my class mates have been taught to use by my teacher. This makes me uneasy. So should i drop computing or not?

All replies are much appreciated and it will be great if i got a reply from someone who is currently doing computing.
    I'm assuming you're talking about A451 A452and A453. Personally,I gave up on Computer Science because I got to a *****y comprehensive school in Kent and when I first started CS in year 10, two weeks in my teacher left and so I was barraged with supply teachers who told us to go on CodeAcademy and Code.org. Bear in mind we hadn't even done anything remotely close to the stuff you learn in Computer Science. 4 weeks before the end of year 10 we got a teacher who is really good. Then we began A453. Personally,I struggled with coding and understanding Python so most of my time in lessons I spent just watching videos and looking at tutorials.By the time we began A452 my work was still depressingly low in A453 but I still started in A452. It was definitely easier but it was also quite time-consuming and so I done it only getting 13 marks. For my mocks in A451 I averaged 32-37 range. Currently with two weeks to go until GCSE's officially begin. I'm not gonna spend any time on Computer Science because I won't need it to get into the school I'm going to. I need 5A's and 2B's to get into the IB Course at Dartford Grammar School. I currently take 10 GCSE's (minimal in contrast to those who do 13) and i'm content with getting 9A's and 1G . Long story short, I suggest you drop it however you're different from me so if you can put the work in and wanna avoid a G then I urge you not to give up.

ReputationRep:
    Computing is really difficult to get right - I should know because I was hopeless at it! Having said that, I did manage to get an A, with an A* in the CA. Research your task and you'll likely find several people who've wrote the exact code for what you need to do. Obviously you can't copy more than a few lines (that's okay if you reference it), but if you take all of these ways to code your task and use your own knowledge to modify the coding, change parts, and make it your own, you should be okay.
    Good luck whatever you decide!

ReputationRep:
    Keep it. For any CAs just go on stack overflow. Also most of the paper is common sense. I was in a similar situation where our teacher ditched us halfway through the year and we just got some crappy supply teacher who didnt know nothing and just gave us papers to learn from. To actually prepare for the exam use computer science tutor on YouTube, highly recommended I got a A in my exam because of him. Just for your CAs remember to annotate and sufficent tests and comment on your code with #.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.