Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've had 2 driving instructors since I started to learn in June, I also drive a lot with my mother. I have booked my test for the 27th April however my driving instructor has just told me that he does not think I'm ready and won't let me use his car. My mum feels very safe with my driving and thinks I should give it a go in her car but I'm not sure. Do you think I should have a go or have more lessons until my instructor is sure? My current instructor doesn't really build my confidence so I'm gonna change whatever happens, he's only had to adjust the steering a few times where I didn't get over to the most left lane I could on a large roundabout
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Archstone14)
    I've had 2 driving instructors since I started to learn in June, I also drive a lot with my mother. I have booked my test for the 27th April however my driving instructor has just told me that he does not think I'm ready and won't let me use his car. My mum feels very safe with my driving and thinks I should give it a go in her car but I'm not sure. Do you think I should have a go or have more lessons until my instructor is sure? My current instructor doesn't really build my confidence so I'm gonna change whatever happens, he's only had to adjust the steering a few times where I didn't get over to the most left lane I could on a large roundabout
    I would say the instructor is usually the best person to tell you whether or not you're ready - yes, you may be good at driving, and to anyone it may appear that way, but your instructor may notice more specific things which an examiner might fail you on, which could be why he doesn't think you're ready.

If you decide to take it in your own car, make sure that it's fits the rules here! If you're not sure, then to be honest, I'd cancel the test (save the money...), get a new instructor, and then see what he says. If you look at new tests now, you might find that towards the end of May one comes available, which would give you good time to be with a new instructor to see what he thinks about you taking it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    I would say the instructor is usually the best person to tell you whether or not you're ready - yes, you may be good at driving, and to anyone it may appear that way, but your instructor may notice more specific things which an examiner might fail you on, which could be why he doesn't think you're ready.

If you decide to take it in your own car, make sure that it's fits the rules here! If you're not sure, then to be honest, I'd cancel the test (save the money...), get a new instructor, and then see what he says. If you look at new tests now, you might find that towards the end of May one comes available, which would give you good time to be with a new instructor to see what he thinks about you taking it.
    Hey thanks for the reply, I think I'm just gonna cancel it until the summer then do an intensive course with another instructor to get me up to scratch. My mum really wants to take the test but I agree with you that my instructor will know best. Thankyouuu
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Archstone14)
    Hey thanks for the reply, I think I'm just gonna cancel it until the summer then do an intensive course with another instructor to get me up to scratch. My mum really wants to take the test but I agree with you that my instructor will know best. Thankyouuu
    No worries! And at least by putting it off you'll be even more confident in the Summer!!! Your mum just probably doesn't want to keep driving you around :rofl:

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.