Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just out of curiousity, when you sit down to revise what do you get done? In terms of revision notes, papers, etc. Also, how many subjects/different exams do you study within a day?

I feel like I don't get a lot done, and was just wondering what other people aimed to do?

ReputationRep:
    For computing I have a past paper on one half of the screen and its mark scheme on the other, along with some paper I think/write down my answers to the questions and check they the answers as I go through. I aim to get one paper done in an hour session, this is my main method of revising as the exams are very much about learning and repeating rather than skillful application of your knowledge.

For economics it depends whether I need to understand/learn a topic or just remember it. For the former I will read my notes, watch youtube videos or make new notes using online resources. For the latter I read and condense notes. Finally I do timed exam papers and essays then mark them.

History is a lot of essay planning and writing as the exam is just two 45 mark essays, sometimes I'll read through the exam board endorsed revision guide and attempt to remember historiography/quotes.

Overall I read,make and condense notes then move on to learning the exam(question) structure before completing past papers. I don't bother with mindmaps,flashcards etc as that's not how I learn. Although the method where you imagine you had to teach what you're learning to someone else can be useful.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    For law I aim to be able to answer one exam question flawlessly in 10 minutes for unit 1 (90 marks, 90 minutes, 9 questions), so I could just be looking at my flashcards for 30 minutes and ensure I know what the advantages/disadvantages are of a certain "thing" (Law Commission for example) or how a specific "thing" works. I then look at the acts and cases around what I decided to revise. I then usually try and answer an exam question. I will usually give myself 13 minutes and do it again and try to get it to 10 minutes. Currently I'm still working on finishing my flashcards (delegated legislation is proving to be a pain at the moment).

For Classics, I tend to just reread the sources (Source 86 is proving to be annoying too) and try and write a full analysis on the source but I struggle with analysis for classics, I just don't now how to organise my essays and my teacher isn't being much help whenever I ask him. For The Odyssey, I'm currently rereading the entire epic book by book each day so I can fully understand what's going on in what part of the book. Seem to be having more luck with The Odyssey than with Women in Athens & Rome at the moment though.

For Economics, I'm not revising because I'm doing the 2 year course so I'll be sitting the exams this year. I have a presentation to prepare for on price elasticities and I'm not confident on that topic whatsoever (my teacher gave me this on purpose, and he knows I hate presenting things too ugh!). If I ever look at my notes thoroughly I usually just reread them, try and memorise the graphs and explain how the graphs work. I managed to get 22/40 on a test which is my best score so far by using this method (beforehand I was getting around 30-40% on each test).

ReputationRep:
    I plan my revision by sections of work that needs to be done , rather than the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttski)
    For law I aim to be able to answer one exam question flawlessly in 10 minutes for unit 1 (90 marks, 90 minutes, 9 questions), so I could just be looking at my flashcards for 30 minutes and ensure I know what the advantages/disadvantages are of a certain "thing" (Law Commission for example) or how a specific "thing" works. I then look at the acts and cases around what I decided to revise. I then usually try and answer an exam question. I will usually give myself 13 minutes and do it again and try to get it to 10 minutes. Currently I'm still working on finishing my flashcards (delegated legislation is proving to be a pain at the moment).

For Classics, I tend to just reread the sources (Source 86 is proving to be annoying too) and try and write a full analysis on the source but I struggle with analysis for classics, I just don't now how to organise my essays and my teacher isn't being much help whenever I ask him. For The Odyssey, I'm currently rereading the entire epic book by book each day so I can fully understand what's going on in what part of the book. Seem to be having more luck with The Odyssey than with Women in Athens & Rome at the moment though.

For Economics, I'm not revising because I'm doing the 2 year course so I'll be sitting the exams this year. I have a presentation to prepare for on price elasticities and I'm not confident on that topic whatsoever (my teacher gave me this on purpose, and he knows I hate presenting things too ugh!). If I ever look at my notes thoroughly I usually just reread them, try and memorise the graphs and explain how the graphs work. I managed to get 22/40 on a test which is my best score so far by using this method (beforehand I was getting around 30-40% on each test).
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/4a...vel_Notes.docx
    Those are for the old syllabus but if you skip to page 13 and beyond there is stuff on price elasticities. Maybe it can help a little bit. EconplusDal (youtuber) also has really useful videos if you need extra stuff on elasticities as well.

ReputationRep:
    For maths I do a past paper and mark it, that takes 1.5-2hrs total. I usually do a full set (C3, C4 and M1) in a day and then figure out an overall grade.

For bio I'm still making flashcards so I'd aim to get about 1/4 of a topic (4 topics total for A2) done in a 2hr session

History I haven't actually started revising yet :/ but once I do I'll mainly be planning/writing essays

ReputationRep:
    Does everyone do all of this in one day? Wow, that's so much, if so. I definitely need to kick myself into gear. It seems to take me an hour just to get through one topic.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.