Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

One of my close friends got rushed into the critical care unit the other day. He had blood poisoning, which is either caused by kidney failure, or has led to kidney failure, I'm not sure. He's on kidney dialysis.

Now this is so serious, obviously! I've been researching it online, and it's a life-threatening condition. But, when go to see him, he acts like he's all fine. He laughs and makes fun of everything, like always. He isn't fine. He got put onto a general ward after two days, but then had to go back to ICU because he wasn't taking in the antibiotics. I had no idea this happened. He didn't say anything. My other friend who went to see him told me. Now, because he's acting this way, I have no idea how ill he really is :/

I'm so worried, and I can't stop worrying. I've been crying and stressed a lot, especially with this around exam time. I can't focus.

Anyone help? I don't want to go and visit him and be some emotional wreck. That isn't fair
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    One of my close friends got rushed into the critical care unit the other day. He had blood poisoning, which is either caused by kidney failure, or has led to kidney failure, I'm not sure. He's on kidney dialysis.

Now this is so serious, obviously! I've been researching it online, and it's a life-threatening condition. But, when go to see him, he acts like he's all fine. He laughs and makes fun of everything, like always. He isn't fine. He got put onto a general ward after two days, but then had to go back to ICU because he wasn't taking in the antibiotics. I had no idea this happened. He didn't say anything. My other friend who went to see him told me. Now, because he's acting this way, I have no idea how ill he really is :/

I'm so worried, and I can't stop worrying. I've been crying and stressed a lot, especially with this around exam time. I can't focus.

Anyone help? I don't want to go and visit him and be some emotional wreck. That isn't fair
    He could be acting that way as it's his way of dealing with it. One of my relatives ended up in the icu in the middle of my a levels exams and despite being very ill he was still sat there smiling and laughing with us, so i kept a brave face on and tried to treat him as normal as possible as i felt that helped him. Everyone deals with things like these in different ways, i d suggest speaking to your school if you feel able to about this as they may be able to help somehow and also maybe try and speak to mutual friends. Are you able to visit him with another person as that could be helpful?

(Original post by claireestelle)
    He could be acting that way as it's his way of dealing with it. One of my relatives ended up in the icu in the middle of my a levels exams and despite being very ill he was still sat there smiling and laughing with us, so i kept a brave face on and tried to treat him as normal as possible as i felt that helped him. Everyone deals with things like these in different ways, i d suggest speaking to your school if you feel able to about this as they may be able to help somehow and also maybe try and speak to mutual friends. Are you able to visit him with another person as that could be helpful?
    Thanks for the reply.

I go to see him often with my boyfriend and other friends stay there when we aren't there. But the thing is we have no idea how bad he's doing, or how well he's feeling, since he just laughs everything off. We didn't even know that he'd been transferred to the ICU. The worst is not knowing I'm really worried because of how serious this condition seems to be. I keep thinking that he'll die, and it really shows when I visit I wish I could be more supportive, but one thing I'm not is mentally stable.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Thanks for the reply.

I go to see him often with my boyfriend and other friends stay there when we aren't there. But the thing is we have no idea how bad he's doing, or how well he's feeling, since he just laughs everything off. We didn't even know that he'd been transferred to the ICU. The worst is not knowing I'm really worried because of how serious this condition seems to be. I keep thinking that he'll die, and it really shows when I visit I wish I could be more supportive, but one thing I'm not is mentally stable.
    You are being supportive by visiting them, don't put yourself down so much. Well if he's up and laughing that's got to be a good sign, how close are you as friends? You could gently ask what his diagnosis is.

(Original post by claireestelle)
    You are being supportive by visiting them, don't put yourself down so much. Well if he's up and laughing that's got to be a good sign, how close are you as friends? You could gently ask what his diagnosis is.
    We're really close friends (well, he's best friends with my boyfriend too.) We have asked, and he's just nonchalant about it, as always. He may have to have part or his whole kidney taken out, and I don't know how dangerous that is

Thank you for the advice. It just helps to write stuff out sometimes.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    We're really close friends (well, he's best friends with my boyfriend too.) We have asked, and he's just nonchalant about it, as always. He may have to have part or his whole kidney taken out, and I don't know how dangerous that is

Thank you for the advice. It just helps to write stuff out sometimes.
    People can lead relatively normal lives with one kidney if that's any comfort. I m sure he d tell you if as a close friends that were was anything to worry about.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.