Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

low self confidence and struggling with public speaking need advice :( Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm a 3rd year student currently preparing for my last lot of exams, but as well as that this year i've had a dissertation to do and in 9 days i have to do a 15 minute presentation about the work i've done. I don't feel very confident about what i've written in my dissertation and so to talk about the same stuff in front of a group of people with questions is really stressing me out on top of the seemingly millions of other things that are worrying me :/

I've never been good at public speaking and the build up to it makes me feel really anxious - i lose sleep over this sort of stuff and the whole idea of it happening soon is really intimidating and i just burst out crying sometimes when i think about it.

For someone like me who struggles very much with this is there any advice any of you could share? I am sorting out the powerpoint and topics i'm going to be talkig about today. I'll practice speaking and stuff when i've finished but this along with exam revision/assignments as well ugh just really don't know what to do and really really really panicing about everything wish i was just someone who was confident and calm i really don't want to fail and look/sound like an absolute idiot :/

ReputationRep:
    Maybe try practicing in front of your friends/family/own mirror first? I am bad at public speaking too, but it really gets better when you do it over and over again so that you actually know what you'll be doing on the presentation day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annasuccia)
    Maybe try practicing in front of your friends/family/own mirror first? I am bad at public speaking too, but it really gets better when you do it over and over again so that you actually know what you'll be doing on the presentation day.
    yeah i will try to that as much as i can thankyou, it's just my material is really complicated as well which i have to talk about i just lack so much confidence in my knowledge never mind my communicating skills as well just feel so out of my depth :/

ReputationRep:
    You're overreacting. It's all in your head. Instead of ruminating in your failures and weaknesses, think about what you can do to improve.

Think about why exactly you feel like your public speaking isn't any good. Are you too quiet? Do you stammer a lot? Do you lose your cool when you see everyone staring at you?

Once you pinpoint what exactly your weaknesses are, try and correct them.

Also, if you feel like you lack confidence, just fake it. No one will ever know.

And also, take a deep breath and clear your mind before giving the presentation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andromeda24)
    I'm a 3rd year student currently preparing for my last lot of exams, but as well as that this year i've had a dissertation to do and in 9 days i have to do a 15 minute presentation about the work i've done. I don't feel very confident about what i've written in my dissertation and so to talk about the same stuff in front of a group of people with questions is really stressing me out on top of the seemingly millions of other things that are worrying me :/

I've never been good at public speaking and the build up to it makes me feel really anxious - i lose sleep over this sort of stuff and the whole idea of it happening soon is really intimidating and i just burst out crying sometimes when i think about it.

For someone like me who struggles very much with this is there any advice any of you could share? I am sorting out the powerpoint and topics i'm going to be talkig about today. I'll practice speaking and stuff when i've finished but this along with exam revision/assignments as well ugh just really don't know what to do and really really really panicing about everything wish i was just someone who was confident and calm i really don't want to fail and look/sound like an absolute idiot :/
    I used to hate public speaking too, I feel your pain Unfortunately, practising in front of people doesn't tend to help because you're obviously fine with talking in front of people you're friends with.

The number one way to feel better about public speaking is to make sure you know what you're talking about. If you're confident in what you're going to say, the whole ordeal is a million times better. So go over your presentation, make sure you understand everything you're going to say.

Think about what questions are the audience most likely going to ask and make sure you could answer them.

Write yourself a crib sheet, to direct your presentation. Absolutely do not write a script, cause that makes the worst presentations, but just jot down some notes to direct your presentation and get you back on track if you lose your train of thought.

Make sure anything that is in your presentation is something you can explain in your own words; there's nothing worse than when someone asks you to explain something that you're written, and you can't.

Also, see if you can't come up with a joke or two to throw in there. It'll lighten the mood and make you feel a lot more comfortable if people are onside early. Just makes sure it's a good joke so people will laugh!

And bear in mind, when you listen to someone else give a presentation you spend far more time concentrating on what's being said than who they are. It's exactly the same the other way around. Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    I know of someone who used to suffer from anxiety/panic attacks which were triggered by public speaking. She would go into a complete melt down, it was horrible to watch, anyway, she went to the doctors about it and they gave her a medical note which she showed her course leader or whoever appropriate and it meant that she only had to give her presentation in front of the examiner rather than a whole group of people.

If it really effects you that bad you could do the same? That said, you might have left it a bit late now to get it all sorted out.

I find the best thing to do in situations you feel uncomfortable in is to think about what you're going to do after it happens. For instance, I'll think about going to the pub and who I could invite etc. Not only does it take your mind off it but it assures you that you are going to get through it as you're making plans for after it. I also tell myself that in a years time I'll have forgotten it had even happened - in the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal.

Hope this helps and good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Fake it til you make it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andromeda24)

I have recently experienced what you've been for in fact I have for several years. At first I thought it was shyness but then realised as I grew older it was more. I am unable to do public speaking and get really fidgety and distressed and I make mistakes and have a shakey voice. I also often cut down on what I need to say which sometimes affects my grades. do you find that no matter how much you practise it doesn't help?
    also I find it annoying when people think you hate it, because it's not as simple as that is it

I know how it is distressing because it sometimes happens in small groups as well with people who are my friends. it also impacted my part time work and lead me to quitting it. then I realised I couldn't go on that way so I went to the gp who gave me a leaflet and told me to refer myself to the service which helps with social anxiety, I think you should do the same cause it might help. so far I've done an assessment appointment and they are going to give me cbt to help, I know it won't help me straight away but after a while I hope it does. I really hope you try that too, because I know that it's an annoying thing because it just blocks your confidence and opportunities. tbh I feel like if i didn't have it I'd be a normal person
    hopefully this has helped, sorry if I have gone on a bit but I wanted to share my experience to maybe help you
    maybe if you do the same thing as me we can work through it together?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.