Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

what do you think is the best way to comfort someone who is greiving? watch

ReputationRep:
    It's probably a personal thing, but what do you think is the best thing to say or do?

The girl I'm seeing has been travelling the past few weeks and just found out her aunt died. She's on her way back. She's going home for another week or two now so the only way I can try to comfort her is through text (we've only been seeing each other for about 6 or 7 weeks so we don't really call each other). I'm not really sure what to say besides the "that's awful, im sorry, how are you doing etc."

ReputationRep:
    as you don't know her very well it's probably best to keep it short and not over do it as grief is very private/personal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VladThe1mpaler)
    It's probably a personal thing, but what do you think is the best thing to say or do?

The girl I'm seeing has been travelling the past few weeks and just found out her aunt died. She's on her way back. She's going home for another week or two now so the only way I can try to comfort her is through text (we've only been seeing each other for about 6 or 7 weeks so we don't really call each other). I'm not really sure what to say besides the "that's awful, im sorry, how are you doing etc."
    I would probably just say something like 'I'm here for you if you need me.'
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Just tell her that you are there for her. Never over do it, if she wants to discuss anything then she will do. It is a very personal thing and people react differently.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Give her space through text and don't hound her all the time to see how she is doing. Just say something along the lines of "I'm so sorry for your lose. Thinking of you and your family. If you ever need to talk, I'm here. Take care".

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ok basically everyone is saying the same thing

that's fine, I just wasn't sure how much I should say but I'll just keep it to a minimum and let her know i'm free to chat whenever she wants

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you need to say any comforting words just make sure that you'll always there for her.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 17, 2016
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.