Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Name:  1460882482704-1339212355.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  299.2 KB hi, for part e ) of this question, I am a little confused about my answer compared to the markscheme s answer. Attachment 523405523407 the mark scheme has used the opposite direction which I don't get why. However their answer is positive as well but somehow they put a negative sign and changed it to positive. I got a positive value for mine by taking the right as my positive direction since the car is accelerating by -3/4. What is the difference? Thanks.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coconut64)
Size:  299.2 KB hi, for part e ) of this question, I am a little confused about my answer compared to the markscheme s answer. Attachment 523405523407 the mark scheme has used the opposite direction which I don't get why. However their answer is positive as well but somehow they put a negative sign and changed it to positive. I got a positive value for mine by taking the right as my positive direction since the car is accelerating by -3/4. What is the difference? Thanks.
    if you mean the mini - sign to the top left of the T= 400N it looks like a typo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefatone)
    if you mean the mini - sign to the top left of the T= 400N it looks like a typo
    Are you sure? Why would they write it out twice then if that's the case? Thanks.
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    It doesn't matter which direction you take as positive.
    Only reason I can see to take the direction they did, is the terms are then all positive.

PS. Sign to top left of the T is only a typo, in that it should have been a minus sign.

I presume they had T as tension, acting away from the car, then found it to be minus, and so is actually pushing the car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    It doesn't matter which direction you take as positive.
    Only reason I can see to take the direction they did, is the terms are then all positive.
    Hi, I don't know what you mean by that because I took the right as the positive direction and that gives me a positive value as well. From their equation, the answer is also positive but I don't see the point of turning it to negative then back to positive if you get what I mean.. The final answer is positive...

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure? Why would they write it out twice then if that's the case? Thanks.
    oh ok i see

so since they "guessed" the wrong direction for the force exerted on towbar thus the negative sign just means the force acts in the opposite direction to which the mark scheme defined positive in right?

Zacken is this right?
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    Hi, I don't know what you mean by that because I took the right as the positive direction and that gives me a positive value as well. From their equation, the answer is also positive but I don't see the point of turning it to negative then back to positive if you get what I mean.. The final answer is positive...
    No, from their equation the answer is -400

I presume they're using the same direction for T ss the first part of the question, and haven't changed things around. But you've not posted that, so just guessing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    No, from their equation the answer is -400

I presume they're using the same direction for T ss the first part of the question, and haven't changed things around. But you've not posted that, so just guessing.
    You are right sorry about that, I get what you mean now, it is the same thing it just that they have used a different direction, Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefatone)
    oh ok i see

so since they "guessed" the wrong direction for the force exerted on towbar thus the negative sign just means the force acts in the opposite direction to which the mark scheme defined positive in right?

Zacken is this right?
    Hi, don't worry about it, they have got a negative value so that's why they had to change it to a positive value at the end. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, don't worry about it, they have got a negative value so that's why they had to change it to a positive value at the end. Thanks.
    glad someone was able to help you to understand ^-^

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.