Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Music exam watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have my viola exam tomorrow and Im practising on and off all day, does anyone have any tips? I have three pieces, 34 scales (though not all are ask ) I sight singing, sightreading singing, clapping, cadences (imperfect and perfect) talking about different periods of a piece and possible composers, normal sight singing (BTW arps and etc are under scales) and I think that is it, any suggestions on last minute practise?

ReputationRep:
    practice starting the piece from different places, then if you do make a mistake you know you can start confidently from another place instead of going back to the beginning.

ReputationRep:
    Just stay calm and focused. Don't over-practice. I'm sure you'll do really well. Good luck...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by historyhoney)
    I have my viola exam tomorrow and Im practising on and off all day, does anyone have any tips? I have three pieces, 34 scales (though not all are ask ) I sight singing, sightreading singing, clapping, cadences (imperfect and perfect) talking about different periods of a piece and possible composers, normal sight singing (BTW arps and etc are under scales) and I think that is it, any suggestions on last minute practise?
    *resists urge to make an anti-viola joke...*

ReputationRep:
    what grade are you taking?
    i dont think you can do much about your pieces and scales this late. you should already know them insideout. but try sight reading. remember that examiners prefer a slower tempo with everything correct. dont miss out dynamics, although i find they are my least priority. just do the forte's and piano's really clearly and miss out the dim's and cresc if it's too much bother.
    don't fall for the
    major=happy
    minor=sad
    cos i had to describe the tonality of a piece in the oral part and it was the other way around. you might also have key changes etc..
    are you with associated board?

ReputationRep:
    I have grade 5 on keyboard in about 2 hours i can't practise anymore but i cant play consider yourself properly....eek and rondo is a bit tut! What's more i have to carry my whole keyboard around everywhere complete with stand! :rolleyes:
    Failure is a bit inevitable here!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemma.....)
    I have grade 5 on keyboard in about 2 hours i can't practise anymore but i cant play consider yourself properly....eek and rondo is a bit tut! What's more i have to carry my whole keyboard around everywhere complete with stand! :rolleyes:
    dont say that!!!!
    dont play your pieces anymore...you will only stress yourself out!
    how do you find sight reading? are your scales alright?
    oh yh, you will have to do that sight singing stuff as well.
    hehe, keyboards stands can look kinda cool...i guess!!!
    nervous?

ReputationRep:
    well i chose not to do the full exam mine is more like leisure play...i don't do sight reading. Eek but cos of gcses i avnt practised that much till about 3 days ago and uptill now. I just cant play consider yourself at all.......
    You know the examiners are they really strict or can they be lenient.....cos i haven never done one of these before!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't know there were keyboard exams..is it the same as piano..except on a keyboard...or is the exam different??

G

ReputationRep:
    well i chose not to do the full exam mine is more like leisure play...i don't do sight reading. Eek but cos of gcses i avnt practised that much till about 3 days ago and uptill now. I just cant play consider yourself at all.......
    You know the examiners are they really strict or can they be lenient.....cos i haven never done one of these before!
    well, for grades 1,2 and3 all my examiners gave me at least 45 secs to practise the sight reading, but then at grade four i had this knobbly witchy person that only gave me 30 secs (the correct amount of time) so i think it is all dependant on the personality of the examiner. also my exam was quite late, the second last one to be precise, and the examiners generally get bored, tired and ratty by that point.
    remember that when you go out of the exam room, always look into the examiners face and give your biggest, most beautiful and charming smile and say 'thank you very much.'
    it will create a great impression and will instantly make you liked!!!

ReputationRep:
    well i havent done the piano one to see if there is a difference. But no i odnt think there is - you can still do the scales etc.......but i picked to do leisure playing just 4 songs with 25 marks each - pass is 65 and ahem i cant play one song at all hardly! MUhaha

ReputationRep:
    well i havent done the piano one to see if there is a difference. But no i odnt think there is - you can still do the scales etc.......but i picked to do leisure playing just 4 songs with 25 marks each - pass is 65 and ahem i cant play one song at all hardly! MUhaha

im sure you can! just relax your fingers before you go in. the last thing you would want is for them to slip and completely hit the wrong note. it would sound bad and will tense you up even more

ReputationRep:
    heh, I have grade 7 piano on the 15th of July and I'm always hitting wrong notes at the mo, plus my aural / oral skills are terrible. I'm just hoping they won't notice the wrong notes in the exam, Obviously they will, but there's always hope. Well at least there's plenty of time to practice now exams are over ...

I'm on trinity btw, it means you don't have to bother with the AB theory before doing any higher grades. If anyone cares, peices are some beethoven peice, intermezzo by brahms and danza del viejo boyero (I think) by Alberto Ginastera, which is a crazy peice. They might not notice wrong notes in that one . Shame I have to play it from memory.

ReputationRep:
    I have grade 8 singing on July 24th (ABRSM) and I'm a dab hand at exams, having done Piano grades 1-5, Singing grades 4-8, and Theory 1-5. I never practise the hour before the exam, I just relax and take it easy. If you are getting things wrong when practising 5minutes before the exam, you'll throw yourself off course. Remember with the aural (or is it oral?) that it isn't that many marks. The pieces are the most important bits. If you muck up a scale or sing a wrong note in sight singing (or singing by ear) you'll drop 1 mark or 2 marks, which is nothing in the great scheme of things.

Just be calm, confident, and friendly. Examiners like it if you're smily and cheerful.

Good luck everyone with music exams coming up soon, lets not get too bogged down about them! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I have my grade 8 horn (guildhall) in the middle of July. I am playing Strauss concerto 1 (movements 1&2 I did all three movements for my A-level) and Hindemith sonata mvts 2&3 and an evil kopprasch study. I have only learned half my scales but can ******** them a bit - oral is easy, sight transposition can be nasty - I have to do G,E,Eflat,D,C,B (the nastiest because it is tritonal transposition), B flat Basso. urgh. I only need 50% for a pass at guildhall and the examiners are all really nice. I really have started to detest playing recently - I have to play for 1.5-2 hours a day to keep my technique where it is and I find it so mind-killing. I'd much rather bee reading but I need the playing for uni if I don't get into my first choice

MB

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmmm I posted in the wrong topic and I cant be bothered to repeat it here. I have a diploma on the 17th and the main point is to play things slowly for a while. You will be amazed how well this works with even fast pieces.

Use the hardest parts of the pieces as technical exercises playing them loud, soft, fast, slow, staccato, EXTRA legato (hard to explain) etc and they will eventually become easy. It is usually he hard parts that can make or break a piece. It is in one of mine when it is the climax

Another thing to make a piece effortless is to stress different rhythms. eg in a piece with all semi quavers play them in triplets so the rhythm is all wrong. The piece will sound bad but it will make you think alot and when you switch back to the noraml rhythm it will be sooooo easy.

Good luck to everyone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Womble548)
    Another thing to make a piece effortless is to stress different rhythms. eg in a piece with all semi quavers play them in triplets so the rhythm is all wrong. The piece will sound bad but it will make you think alot and when you switch back to the noraml rhythm it will be sooooo easy.
    Same sort of idea - In a passage of quavers play them in a dotted rhythm at half speed (dotted quaver, semiquaver, dotted quaver, semiquaver, etc) then play the same passage with those note lengths reversed (semiquaver, dotted quaver, semiquaver,dotted quaver, etc) effectively you will have practiced with all notes at full speed. Then try playing it at full speed and it will seem easier.

MB

ReputationRep:
    btw mines grade 6!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by historyhoney)
    btw mines grade 6!
    have you had it? how did everything go...sight reading, oral, scales etc?
    think you did well?

neha
    xxxx

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.