Year 10 thinking about what a levels to pick for medicine

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi there guys I am a boy in year 10 and I have been thinking about what a-levels i want to do. I want to study medicine in ucl and I have come up with 4 a-levels so far

- Biology
    - Chemistry
    - History
    - French

I am pretty good at history and I have heard a language in a level is good. Are these choices good?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramaaub)
    Hi there guys I am a boy in year 10 and I have been thinking about what a-levels i want to do. I want to study medicine in ucl and I have come up with 4 a-levels so far

- Biology
    - Chemistry
    - History
    - French

I am pretty good at history and I have heard a language in a level is good. Are these choices good?

Thanks
    It's good to choose maths/physics too. I'm planning to do medicine too and year 11 I'm taking Biology, Chemistry,Maths and Economics. If you want type up on google what gcse's are needed to do Medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Biology, Chemistry and two other subjects will set you up well edit: forgot there's no AS levels now. Three would also be fine.

No university except Cambridge expresses any desire for maths or physics.

No university at all expresses a desire for a language, so only do that if that's what you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nisha.sri)
    It's good to choose maths/physics too.
    Why's that then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Why's that then?
    So more doors are open for medicine school. That's why
    If you don't do Maths/Physics then less doors are open, you can search it up if you don't believe me

ReputationRep:
    So more doors are open for medicine school. That's why
    If you don't do Maths/Physics then less doors are open, you can search it up if you don't believe me
    Apart from Cambridge, which doors are opened?

ReputationRep:
    http://university.which.co.uk/advice...ecome-a-doctor
    Check on here and why are you going against me?

ReputationRep:
    http://university.which.co.uk/advice...ecome-a-doctor
    Check on here and why are you going against me?
    That wasn't the answer to the question I asked you

ReputationRep:
    That wasn't the answer to the question I asked you
    So, you want me to list every single one of them.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...el-requirement

Tbh, I don't have time for that but look at the link above . It's very well listed

ReputationRep:
    So, you want me to list every single one of them.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...el-requirement

Tbh, I don't have time for that but look at the link above . It's very well listed
    That would be a very short list indeed considering the only medical school on it would be Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    Why's that then?
    People may decide medicine isn't for them during sixth form, taking maths means they are not restricted by any degrees involving numbers.

So degrees like chemistry and economics are still possible.

ReputationRep:

- Biology
    - Chemistry
    - History
    - French

Thanks
    Yeah they're fine.

(I wouldn't say a language is any better than any other A Level, by the way.)

ReputationRep:
    That would be a very short list indeed considering the only medical school on it would be Cambridge.
    Fine to be honest it's better to do Maths/Physics - well that's what i think

ReputationRep:
    yeah they're perfectly fine.
    Are you sure you want to do 4 even with the reformed A Levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surina16)
    yeah they're perfectly fine.
    Are you sure you want to do 4 even with the reformed A Levels?
    Honestly I have no idea :/

ReputationRep:
    Honestly I have no idea :/
    Ah okay - you have a year to think about it so don't worry
    I'm in year 11 so by the time you make that decision, I'll be mostly done with year 12 and will tell you if 4 is too much
    Most people are taking 3 A Levels this year (I'm doing 4, but the 4th is further maths which is why it is considered to be 'less work than 4 other a levels') and I presume it will be the same for your year too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surina16)
    Ah okay - you have a year to think about it so don't worry
    I'm in year 11 so by the time you make that decision, I'll be mostly done with year 12 and will tell you if 4 is too much
    Most people are taking 3 A Levels this year (I'm doing 4, but the 4th is further maths which is why it is considered to be 'less work than 4 other a levels' and I presume it will be the same for your year too

Hey! I completely forgot about this thread, how is it going? What do you think about the 4 a levels?

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I completely forgot about this thread, how is it going? What do you think about the 4 a levels?
    Focus on your GCSEs and also get some work experience, you need to find out if its for you, my friend who got 11 A*s did WE and after that didn't want to do it anymore.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 25, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.