Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, could anybody tell me if I will need to learn C3 trig for M2 Kinematics (Edexcel). There is some of it in the textbook but I thought M2 was an AS module. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering the same thing as I haven't learnt C3 yet. I've never needed to use C3 in a past paper but the specification annoys me by saying it may be tested. If i have time i might learn a bit of trig tho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xyz9856)
    Hello, could anybody tell me if I will need to learn C3 trig for M2 Kinematics (Edexcel). There is some of it in the textbook but I thought M2 was an AS module. Thanks
    'A knowledge of the specification for M1 and its prerequisitesand associated formulae, together with a knowledge of algebra,trigonometry, differentiation and integration, as specified in C1, C2and C3, is assumed and may be tested.' - from the spec. I've rarely seen questions on it in the exam but there are some in the textbook so no reason why they couldn't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    'A knowledge of the specification for M1 and its prerequisitesand associated formulae, together with a knowledge of algebra,trigonometry, differentiation and integration, as specified in C1, C2and C3, is assumed and may be tested.' - from the spec. I've rarely seen questions on it in the exam but there are some in the textbook so no reason why they couldn't
    Should I learn C3 trig just to be safe?

ReputationRep:
    Should I learn C3 trig just to be safe?
    It's up to you. If you have time it's probably not a bad idea, but as I say i don't recall actually seeing any exam questions rely on it so it's your decision

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    It's up to you. If you have time it's probably not a bad idea, but as I say i don't recall actually seeing any exam questions rely on it so it's your decision
    alright thanks, I might just learn how to do sinx and cosx

ReputationRep:
    M2 is actually an A2 module, so you do need to have a full knowledge of C1, C2, and C3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HapaxOromenon2)
    M2 is actually an A2 module, so you do need to have a full knowledge of C1, C2, and C3.
    nice username haha, but on the front of the papers it says 'Advanced/Advanced Subsidiary'. Is it just knowledge of how to differentiate cosx and sinx?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AAls)
    I was wondering the same thing as I haven't learnt C3 yet. I've never needed to use C3 in a past paper but the specification annoys me by saying it may be tested. If i have time i might learn a bit of trig tho.
    The only place where I can see C3 being used is when finding the cartesian equation of trajectory because you need to know the identity for 1/cos^2x which is sec^2x but then writing it as 1+tan^2x. If you just learn the identities then you can apply them intuitively. Examsolutions has a good video about this.

ReputationRep:
    nice username haha, but on the front of the papers it says 'Advanced/Advanced Subsidiary'. Is it just knowledge of how to differentiate cosx and sinx?
    In the specification it's listed as an A2 unit. See page 12 of
    https://qualifications.pearson.com/c...hs_Issue_3.pdf.

Theoretically any of C1, C2, and C3 is assumed knowledge, but since I don't do mechanics I can't say which bits would be used for mechanics problems. I would take Logic938's advice since he seems to know about this.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.