Other (Unionist) (2)
7.14%
GaelicBolshevik
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Was going to do all the assemblies but there's too many options.)

Keeping it to the most significant ones:
- DUP
- Sinn Féin
- UUP
- SDLP
- Alliance
- Conservative
- Labour
- Other (unionist)
- Other (nationalist)
GaelicBolshevik
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
That Bearded Man we all know how pointless the SDLP are but for the sake of pragmatism might as well leave them in there

adam9317 who are you voting for?
GaelicBolshevik
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Who just voted SDLP?
adam9317
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by DMcGovern)
That Bearded Man we all know how pointless the SDLP are but for the sake of pragmatism might as well leave them in there

adam9317 who are you voting for?
It would have to be UKIP!
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'd consider NI Labour if they fielded a candidate in my area.

Sinn Fein definitely, SDLP lol.
meenu89
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would vote for any Unionist party that had the best chance of winning- the DUP.
GaelicBolshevik
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by meenu89)
I vote any unionist party that had the best chance of winning- the DUP.
*COUGH* Red Sky *COUGH*

I hear Peter Robinson retired to spend more time with his Nama FAMILY! I MEAN FAMILY!
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Who just voted SDLP?
Not northern irish but whats so bad about the SDLP?
GaelicBolshevik
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by Davij038)
whats so bad about the SDLP?
Everything. That Bearded Man can give you a little bit of detail why he doesn't think they're an effective party, but essentially they're useless and counterproductive.

They were set up in 1970 as a non-violent alternative to Sinn Féin and did well under John Hume, but has become useless since about 1994 when Sinn Féin became a solely non-violent party. All it does now is split the nationalist vote and is a watered-down version of SF, where SF is left-wing they're socdems/centre-left-ish, and they're less interested in nationalism/republicanism.

Not northern irish
Neither am I - I'm Irish
(Take issue with the northern prefix since that's not an ethnicity, nor is it a proper nationality.)
Davij038
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Everything. That Bearded Man can give you a little bit of detail why he doesn't think they're an effective party, but essentially they're useless and counterproductive.

They were set up in 1970 as a non-violent alternative to Sinn Féin and did well under John Hume, but has become useless since about 1994 when Sinn Féin became a solely non-violent party. All it does now is split the nationalist vote and is a watered-down version of SF, where SF is left-wing they're socdems/centre-left-ish, and they're less interested in nationalism/republicanism.

Neither am I - I'm Irish
(Take issue with the northern prefix since that's not an ethnicity, nor is it a proper nationality.)
Nothing wrong with Social Democracy!

Fair enough and point taken (Though some TSR users will have issue with that!). If the UK leaves the EU I would certainly advocate leaving the UK to join the EU. . .
GaelicBolshevik
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Nothing wrong with Social Democracy!

Fair enough and point taken (Though some TSR users will have issue with that!). If the UK leaves the EU I would certainly advocate leaving the UK to join the EU. . .
Weeell, I myself don't recognise it as a proper left-wing ideology, and it's too wishy-washy for me, but I guess

Indeed!
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Not northern irish but whats so bad about the SDLP?
Because they really don't reflect Labour, traditionally seek the Catholic Conservative vote and generally promise alot and deliver nothing.

Recent South Down candidate for the SDLP criticised Sinn Fein for support marriage equality because it was a "man-made bill"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Davij038
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by That Bearded Man)
Recent South Down candidate for the SDLP criticised Sinn Fein for support marriage equality because it was a "man-made bill"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Christ, sounds like Tim Farron....
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Whoever can keep Sinn Feinn out of power so the DUP.
GaelicBolshevik
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rakas21)
Whoever can keep Sinn Feinn out of power so the DUP.
Technically unionists can't keep SF out of power because it's a permanent coalition due to the 'power-sharing' initiative to keep both sides happy. If you were trying to keep them out of power you'd have to vote in a different nationalist party like the SDLP (not a real nationalist party) or another one, but the other ones tend to be more left-wing than Sinn Féin and the SDLP are useless now.
GaelicBolshevik
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Airmed you seen this?
anarchism101
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'd say Sinn Fein but their habit of effectively being two different parties in Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland annoys me. In the RoI they're generally a left-wing, soft eurosceptic, anti-austerity but also development-positive party, which is what I'd like to vote for. In NI, however, they seem so obsessed with unification that they just adopt the policy of whichever government happens to be in power in Dublin in order to make the island more symmetrical because they think somehow that will being unification. Also I think continuing not to turn up to Westminster, while it made sense at one time, is now anachronistic, unhelpful and petty. So SDLP by default.
GaelicBolshevik
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by anarchism101)
I'd say Sinn Fein but their habit of effectively being two different parties in Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland annoys me. In the RoI they're generally a left-wing, soft eurosceptic, anti-austerity but also development-positive party, which is what I'd like to vote for. In NI, however, they seem so obsessed with unification that they just adopt the policy of whichever government happens to be in power in Dublin in order to make the island more symmetrical because they think somehow that will being unification. Also I think continuing not to turn up to Westminster, while it made sense at one time, is now anachronistic, unhelpful and petty. So SDLP by default.
So you want a left-wing, development-positive party, and you vote for the SDLP?
They're nothing but worse than Sinn Féin in all respects.
They really don't reflect Labour, traditionally seek the Catholic Conservative vote and generally promise a lot and deliver nothing, more so than can be said for Sinn Féin.

Recent South Down candidate for the SDLP criticised Sinn Fein for support marriage equality because it was a "man-made bill".

Another thing is that the Northern Executive is only a devolved assembly so it doesn't have complete control over legislation, so they're less able to oppose austerity. Now that they're the 3rd largest party in the Dáil, they'll be able to provide a good platform against austerity both south and north.
anarchism101
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So you want a left-wing, development-positive party, and you vote for the SDLP?
They're nothing but worse than Sinn Féin in all respects.
They really don't reflect Labour, traditionally seek the Catholic Conservative vote and generally promise a lot and deliver nothing, more so than can be said for Sinn Féin.

Recent South Down candidate for the SDLP criticised Sinn Fein for support marriage equality because it was a "man-made bill".

Another thing is that the Northern Executive is only a devolved assembly so it doesn't have complete control over legislation, so they're less able to oppose austerity. Now that they're the 3rd largest party in the Dáil, they'll be able to provide a good platform against austerity both south and north.
I live in England, I don't vote for any parties in NI, this is hypothetical, I said SDLP because they generally take the Labour whip at Westminster. I'd probably vote Sinn Fein at European elections, as there they seem to act as one party a bit more, plus they align with the far-left bloc.

I don't think it's just a matter of powers, Sinn Fein in NI just look like a dogmatic party with no new ideas, following simplistic nationalist ideas because they don't know what else to do. I can remember a few years ago watching an election debate where the Sinn Fein candidate (think it was Daithi McKay, but not sure), saying NI corporation tax should be lowered simply because it was lower in the RoI. For a party claiming to be left-wing, that's pathetic.

I don't say this with any joy. I'd love to see Sinn Fein readjust. In addition to being committed to its policies regardless of who's in charge in Dublin, it needs to provide new, positive reasons for unification if it wants to see it one day. I'd like to see it make at least some explicit effort to reach out and include Protestant voters (if it fails, at least they tried).

So far SF's main rebranding seems to have just been a greater focus on social liberalism. I appreciate that and I'm glad they've done it, but it's not enough.
GaelicBolshevik
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by anarchism101)
I don't think it's just a matter of powers, Sinn Fein in NI just look like a dogmatic party with no new ideas, following simplistic nationalist ideas because they don't know what else to do. I can remember a few years ago watching an election debate where the Sinn Fein candidate (think it was Daithi McKay, but not sure), saying NI corporation tax should be lowered simply because it was lower in the RoI. For a party claiming to be left-wing, that's pathetic.
Ach no, they're nothing of the sort. In the past few years they've done loads of stuff like the same-sex marriage thing that was vetoed by the DUP even though the people have made it clear they want to legalise it.

Daithi McKay didn't say that, he said that "One of the main reasons why a lower rate of corporation tax is needed in Northern Ireland is to enable the economy here to compete with that in the Republic of Ireland"
I remember seeing it on the Assembly's highlights of the day.

I don't say this with any joy. I'd love to see Sinn Fein readjust. In addition to being committed to its policies regardless of who's in charge in Dublin, it needs to provide new, positive reasons for unification if it wants to see it one day. I'd like to see it make at least some explicit effort to reach out and include Protestant voters (if it fails, at least they tried).
There are many positive reasons for unification. Just last month an independent group who did studies on the economic benefit for German and Korean unification - and were right about Germany - did one on Ireland and said that it'd benefit greatly, seeing a £6 million boost to the economy.
The DUP dismissed it as 'biased'.

Republicanism has always reached out to Protestants. They were the founding fathers. (United Irishmen?)
This claim that protestant = unionist & catholic = republican is complete rubbish.

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many universities have you heard back from?

14.17%
12.44%
12.33%
18.09%
23.16%
19.82%

Watched Threads