The Student Room Group

May have picked the wrong a levels!

So basically this year I picked maths biology chemistry and economics because I wanted to study medicine however now I'm not too sure I've got work experience at the end of July to help me decide. But if I feel that i don't want to do medicine after work experience other areas that I'm interested in are astrophysics or engineering (aerospace) so if i decide that i want to go down that route what do i do? Do i have to retake yr 12 or can i do the entire physics a level in yr 13 and then apply to university and if i did the latter option how would i apply to uni because if i apply in yr 13 i wont have a predicted grade for physics obviously so would i have to finish yr 13 and the physics a level and then take a gap year and apply then? I don't know what to do. (By the way if you ask I didn't pick physics since I thought that i wanted to go down the medicine route and economics was an easier 4th subject).
You can try and do the A level physics in a year as its now a linear course, but it won't be easy for sure. Retaking a year isn't idea. Speak to your head of 6th form.

Skips :smile:
Isn't ideal*

The autocorrect war continues...

Skips :smile:
Yh that's what I was thinking. Retaking the year isn't something I really want to do. But one question I have is would good universities accept me onto their course (like UCL) because they won't have any predicted grade for physics? Or do i have to wait for my physics a level result and then apply to a gap year?
Reply 4
Original post by AChowdhury123
Yh that's what I was thinking. Retaking the year isn't something I really want to do. But one question I have is would good universities accept me onto their course (like UCL) because they won't have any predicted grade for physics? Or do i have to wait for my physics a level result and then apply to a gap year?

If they see you have good marks in Maths under your belt they are probably more likely to accept a predicted grade for Physics. Are you doing ASs in your other subjects? It might strengthen your application if you are (but don't worry if you aren't...).
I think most universities require a level physics for aerospace engineering but, done a quick check online and found Manchester uni will consider your application without physics providing you do M1 and M2 in maths
Original post by jneill
If they see you have good marks in Maths under your belt they are probably more likely to accept a predicted grade for Physics. Are you doing ASs in your other subjects? It might strengthen your application if you are (but don't worry if you aren't...).

Thank you but what I meant is that I won't have anyone to give me a predicted grade in physics as I wouldn't have teachers to give me a predicted grade. So what I'm asking is that if i tell the universites that I'm currently doing physics a level in yr 13 will they make me an offer based on what i get on results day or do i have to get my result and then apply in a gap year afterwards??
Reply 7
Original post by AChowdhury123
Thank you but what I meant is that I won't have anyone to give me a predicted grade in physics as I wouldn't have teachers to give me a predicted grade. So what I'm asking is that if i tell the universites that I'm currently doing physics a level in yr 13 will they make me an offer based on what i get on results day or do i have to get my result and then apply in a gap year afterwards??

Are you self-teaching Physics?

Anyway, you may as well apply. And use your PS to explain your subject choice, etc. If they reject you (which they may not) then re-apply with grades in hand and take a gap year. No big loss...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Are you self-teaching Physics?

Anyway, you may as well apply. If they reject you (which they may not) then re-apply with grades in hand and take a gap year. No big loss...

I would self teach myself if i feel i want to go down this route in yr 13. Ohh okay thank you for the help:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest