Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I received offers from UCL , WBS, and Manchester, can anybody share their experience regarding the two schools, and give any possible suggestions on what might be a better choice.

Struggling on which one to firm!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    UCL Management Science can not be compared to other Management courses. Obviously in this situation it depends on what you want to study and not where.
    WBS and UCL are both really prestigious, but honestly I'll suggest you to choose WBS if you are not considering to take the Engineering minor that UCL is offering.
    At first I was really skeptical about Warwick because it's not in London, but they actually have many job fairs and a lot of companies, banks and industries are really interested in Warwick students since they're known to be really good.

What's your opinion about it?

ReputationRep:
    Well, thats a very valid point. The engineering course offered by UCL is very attractive indeed, as I have even once considered to take engineering as a major. On the other hand, their school of management has only a decade of history when compared to the more established WBS (sometimes ranked among the top 20 business schools in the world).

ps. I checked the list of lectures and assistant lectures for both unis, and UCL seems to be light-years ahead in terms of staff qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    UCL is great, but seeing the career prospects, WBS has a amazing list in big firms, while UCL's program is new and the graduating class will be in 2017, therefore there aren't any solid informations.

With this being said, at last what matters is what course you want to study. They are really different and they have their own pros and cons. UCL offers Scenario weeks to improve analytical skills in a real simulated world while WBS gives you a large range or eligible modules that you can take each year and for instance you can focus on your interests while you develop a deeper understanding of the course.

I hope that I've been helpful!

ReputationRep:
    What do you aim to achieve after the course? Management Science at UCL is a lot more quantitative than Management at Warwick, offers an integrated masters year, is located in London (easier to network) and will likely open up a greater number of postgraduate study and career options. Warwick's business school's course is older and more established than UCL's management course (first cohort haven't graduated yet, has a great alumni network, offers a far greater range of modules (14 optional modules over 2 years), offers the opportunity to spend a year abroad studying at some of the best business schools in the world, and living costs will be significantly cheaper than London.

Note: UCL is the more prestigious university if that kind of thing matters to you at all.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester is similar to Warwick, it offers a slightly wider range of optional modules, similar year abroad opportunities to Warwick (greater number of partners but at the top level Warwick has some slightly better ones), Manchester is likely a cheaper place to live, it's business school is probably better known to the average person but Warwick's is better overall and has better career placement.

If you mention what your goals are it'll probably be easier to advise you!

ReputationRep:
    UCL is the best brand but a little new on management. WBS is the most established. I would rank Manchester third.

ReputationRep:
    What aim do I want to achieve after my course?

I would like apply to management related Msc course, aiming for LBS,LSE and Said.
    ps. A GMAT is also necessary

And thank you to everyone who answered this thread, I find it very helpful

ReputationRep:
    By BMAT do you by any chance mean GMAT? LBS and LSE will accept degree holders of any background so either will do; SBS don't really do management related MScs in courses other than Financial Economics and Programme Management but rather PGDiplomas (correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't checked in awhile). Given the universities your aiming at for your masters I'd recommend picking the university you feel you'll be happier at as it will be the one where you're more likely to get a first. What do you aim to do post masters? The UCL name will carry more weight if you want to leave the country but they're largely on par in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    Turns out Warwick is considering me as an Local Student (9000), while UCL is considering me as an international one (22,500/year)

ReputationRep:
    WBS> UCL management Science. WBS is renowned over the world

ReputationRep:
    I'd take Warwick as the advantages provided by UCL (Location etc.) are in my opinion not worth the extra 13500 (not including living costs) you'd have to pay to get them.

(Original post by ShafTJB)
    WBS> UCL management Science. WBS is renowned over the world
    I'd agree that WBS at this point is the better university for a business education but in terms of global recognition, keep in mind that UCL probably still has the edge there.

ReputationRep:
    what's your choice ?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.