The Student Room Group

School attendance figures & university applications

I think I'm right in saying that your attndance figures go on the UCAS form, but how far back does that go? In the past I have had slight issues with attendance when I had a bit of a bad patch with work. I've picked myself up now, and I feel confident(ish) with the work, but even if I think I can get the grades, will my lower-than-average percentage render all that useless, as it implies I have no commitment?

I'm in year 12 now applying for 2005 entry next term.
Reply 1
I don't remember them going on my ucas form :confused:
Frances
I don't remember them going on my ucas form :confused:

Likewise, i had shit attendance also so if it had gone down i might have been in trouble.
Reply 3
Really?

It's what I've heard from friends.
Maybe they're taking the piss because they know that'd scare me. And I suppose the attendance isn't that bad in comparison with most places, just my school is big on attendance.

Hm.
Reply 4
That's good to hear.

I guess it could go on the teachers' reference, but i doubt my teachers are mean enough to ruin my chances of going to uni.
Reply 5
Hayley...
That's good to hear.

I guess it could go on the teachers' reference, but i doubt my teachers are mean enough to ruin my chances of going to uni.

The teachers would never write a bad reference......even if there's no hope of you (not you..but someone...lol...i'm not aiming this reference at you :tongue:) getting getting a grade in the subject..the teachers will write in the ref that so and so attended lessons and compleed the course. Of course unis know exactly what this means...but you'll be ok...esp since you've picked up since then!

Good luck!

G
Reply 6
our attendance was mentioned in the reference i think..

& teachers at my 6th form were honest - they had no qualms about giving a bad referrence if that's what people deserved, so it might depend on the type/ethos of your 6th form & how obsessed they are with their leavers destination, although if they write glowing reports & give wildly optimistic prediction for all their students then unis might start to take anything they say with a pinch of salt..
Reply 7
our school wants to be (and probably is, actually) the king of schools in my area...

therefore they will give anyone a lovely reference not to make the school look bad to anyone! :rolleyes:

were you allowed to read your references?? we were - i was just wondering if it is normal

:smile:
Reply 8
sparkler
were you allowed to read your references?? we were - i was just wondering if it is normal

We were not, :frown: to top matters off one student I know asked to see it, as he could see his paperwork lying on the side in the office, when he asked the lady in the office said no and picked it up and hid it.

Surely that against the data protection act? our IT teacher thought so and told us that we all can look at our references if we want due to DP act, and the school can only charge us an admin fee to look at them.
Reply 9
Hmm. Well, I think my school can be honest without dwelling too much on the bad.

I hope.
Reply 10
sparkler
our school wants to be (and probably is, actually) the king of schools in my area...

therefore they will give anyone a lovely reference not to make the school look bad to anyone! :rolleyes:

:smile:

well mine had a very impressive record with further education/oxbridge offers etc. probably because it was reasonably well known as a state 6th form & places knew the referrences were honest!

we were, yes.. well, the individual subject teacher reports that were then collated into a whole by our personal tutor & to say if there was anything we disagreed with or thought was important to raise, i never read the final entire thing though (sure i could have if i wanted!)

I think some people read theirs & decided to take a year out & apply with one from elsewhere!

Policy varies from school to school.. i think technically some educational things are exempt from the DP act, but UCAS will provide you a copy for ÂŁ5..though it's a bit late by then!
I was a boarder, so for me it wasn't mentioned, but for day students they mentioned if it was below satisfactory, or if attendance was outstanding. It's fairly easy to hide it though; and if you're a reformed character, I'm positive it won't be a problem.

I saw my reference and I thought it was a very honest reflection of what I was like, mainly positives, but the odd negative here and there.
Reply 12
BazTheMoney
I was a boarder, so for me it wasn't mentioned, but for day students they mentioned if it was below satisfactory, or if attendance was outstanding. It's fairly easy to hide it though; and if you're a reformed character, I'm positive it won't be a problem.

I saw my reference and I thought it was a very honest reflection of what I was like, mainly positives, but the odd negative here and there.

With the LSC grants for Sixth form students next year (means tested) this money will be contingent upon attendance, so most schools will be a lot hotter on attendance figures than they have been. Also, most references (and certainly ROAs or their equivalent) HAVE to put some general comment on punctuality and attendance. As the writer of more references for my subject and my tutor group for UCAS than I care to remember... ( and I don't think my school is alone in making sure that that info is passed on)
To be honest, unless you're really, really bad, I shouldn't think the school'll make it out to be that big. If you're generally intelligent and nice to them, they'll think there's a good reason you're not there.
Binary
We were not, :frown: to top matters off one student I know asked to see it, as he could see his paperwork lying on the side in the office, when he asked the lady in the office said no and picked it up and hid it.

Surely that against the data protection act? our IT teacher thought so and told us that we all can look at our references if we want due to DP act, and the school can only charge us an admin fee to look at them.

Yes it is illegal to refuse when requested. They can make a charge of ÂŁ10. It was not school policy to see them, but they showed me anyway :smile:
If you really wanted you could quote the act at them, its called a subject-access request and they will have to comply. They probably would not make the charge.
Reply 15
Elles
our attendance was mentioned in the reference i think..

& teachers at my 6th form were honest - they had no qualms about giving a bad referrence if that's what people deserved, so it might depend on the type/ethos of your 6th form & how obsessed they are with their leavers destination, although if they write glowing reports & give wildly optimistic prediction for all their students then unis might start to take anything they say with a pinch of salt..

Same here. Mine was more than willing to give you a bad reference if you deserved it.

Latest

Trending

Trending