Biological approach psychology Watch

tomlfc
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
How has stress evolved to become a survival advantage?
TSR Jessica
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed
Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
x
cmr98
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi! Not sure if you're doing GCSE or A level, but I'm revising for my AS resit right now and im currently doing stress so I'll try give you an answer
I guess you could say that the stress responses activates the body for activity. For example, the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis (hormonal response) stimulates the release of corticosteroids which can have the effect of increasing blood glucose levels, thus increasing availablity of glucose for respiration for energy. Equally the sympathetic-adreno-medullary pathway (Nervous system response) leads to the release of adrenaline, which activates the sympathetic nervous system- thus increasing heart rate and basically leading to the fight or flight response- muscle tension, vasodilation, increasing breathing rate etc.

Therefore you could say stress is evolutionary because stress may occur in times of danger (say being chased by a lion), and the components of the stress response such as the release of adrenaline prepare the body for activity- either to fight the stressor or run from it.

Hope that helps a bit
tomlfc
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
thank youuuu, yeah I'm doing a levels my teacher had set questions similar to that one for homework without explaining any of it. Anyway, thanks again
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (128)
17.9%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.21%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (123)
17.2%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (103)
14.41%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.79%
How can I be the best version of myself? (218)
30.49%

Watched Threads