Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I worked this question out from the GCSE Edexcel predicted 2016 higher paper and I am sure it is impossible to prove she earns a profit of £20. My working out done in paint . As you can see the money earned winners is more than she earns altogether. Am I right?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlie223)
    I worked this question out from the GCSE Edexcel predicted 2016 higher paper and I am sure it is impossible to prove she earns a profit of £20. My working out done in paint . As you can see the money earned winners is more than she earns altogether. Am I right?
    Your calculation is wrong for P(player winning). There are 3 ways of winning out 20 there the probability is 3/20 not 9/20

ReputationRep:
    Hi your calculation is wrong. You need to do a simple space diagram which gives you 3/20 students that would win so 12/80 are expected to win.

80 students X 70p = £56
    12 students X £3 = £36

56-36= £20

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TauBilly)
    Your calculation is wrong for P(player winning). There are 3 ways of winning out 20 there the probability is 3/20 not 9/20
    Ahhh I see, why does my method come to 9/20 are you not allowed to calculate all at once? If you do them all separately it comes to 3/20

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh I see, why does my method come to 9/20 are you not allowed to calculate all at once?
    You should use a sample space diagram to work out the probability.

It seems like you tried to work it out tree diagram style.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LieutenantJ)
    You should use a sample space diagram to work out the probability.

It seems like you tried to work it out tree diagram style.
    Ok, how would this affect my overall marks for the question? would I still get 3 for method?

ReputationRep:
    Ok, how would this affect my overall marks for the question? would I still get 3 for method?
    Yeah and it would make you less prone to making mistakes. Whenever you have questions like this where you have to work out probabilities with spinners and cards, it is best to use a sample space diagram.

When the probability of two or more events are given and you're asked to work out another probability using the probabilities you already have, then use the tree diagram way.

For example if you have a question like "The likelihood of Tina being late to school each day is 3/10 and the likelihood that she is not is 7/10. Work out the probability that she is late on both Monday and Tuesday." You would use tree diagram way in this instance.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh I see, why does my method come to 9/20 are you not allowed to calculate all at once? If you do them all separately it comes to 3/20
    The first part is correct, there is a 3/5 chance of picking one that could give you a correct answer. However, for each of those cards chosen only one from the second pile will give you the correct total of 9 so there is a 1/4 chance. This means that the probability of the player winning is 3/5*1/4=3/20

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.