Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I need help ! I had an offer from Liverpool and Nottingham trent to study psychology, but now finishing my A levels ive realized that i am so fed up of studying and want to do something more vocational! So i was considering staying at home and doing a teaching degree locally. However, I dont know if im missing out on the uni experience by not moving away from home! Im in a relationship too and dont want to be too far, although we've only been together a month. Also is a psychology degree better than a teaching degree? I mean overall i want to be a teacher, but you can do it through doing a psychology degree! Im just so confused! What do i do? Im through to UCAS extra now.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by daisyfx)
    I need help ! I had an offer from Liverpool and Nottingham trent to study psychology, but now finishing my A levels ive realized that i am so fed up of studying and want to do something more vocational! So i was considering staying at home and doing a teaching degree locally. However, I dont know if im missing out on the uni experience by not moving away from home! Im in a relationship too and dont want to be too far, although we've only been together a month. Also is a psychology degree better than a teaching degree? I mean overall i want to be a teacher, but you can do it through doing a psychology degree! Im just so confused! What do i do? Im through to UCAS extra now.
    If you can only see yourself being a teacher then do primary education

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daisyfx)
    First off, you'll absolutely regret basing any decisions on a relationship when your 17/18 (especially if you've only been going out for a month).

Doing a psychology degree will likely open up a few more doors, however its only worth doing when your pretty committed (rather than just doing it because everyone else is going to uni). You don't have to start doing a degree straight away so you could do a primary education qualificaiton to start off with it wouldn't stop you going to uni later if you so decided? Its not absolutely essential to start university at 18/19 people do it later and still work out fine!

ReputationRep:
    A career in psychology usually requires many years of study. If you want to be a psychologist, you'll be studying between 7-9 years or longer if not full time for the duration. This is because you'll need a PhD. This time frame also doesn't take into account that some courses over highly sought after and you could be applying for your PhD 3+ times before being accepted.

You need to be really passionate about this career if you're going to dedicate around a decade to achieving the chance to even begin it!

If you see yourself being a teacher then the teaching degree makes much more sense and you'll be putting your foot on the ladder much sooner

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.