Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Please can someone give an honest opinion on the lecturers etc
    I need to decide whether I will firm it!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm a current second year studying Biology at Imperial so please feel free to ask me any specific questions you want

Personally I love it there. Most of our lecturers are really helpful and know a lot about their subject (Steve who does a lot of the first year lectures is amazing, you get off to a great start with him!). Of course you will have some lecturers you just don't like, but you will have that anywhere you go. If that does happen you can talk to your personal tutor or the undergraduate office and they'll do their best to sort things out for you (such as explaining things you didn't understand). We've only ever had one lecture who just read off a PowerPoint, which I've heard he has changed for the current first years after we commented on it, they mostly try to make an effort.

The work load is nowhere near as bad as I expected when I started. In the first year we had two lectures a day (9-10, 11-12) and twice a week we'd either have a tutorial or a lab practical (that changed though, sometimes we'd have nothing). It means you have most afternoons off to make notes, catch up with work or just relax. No one will chase you to make sure you're doing your work, but as long as you don't leave things until the last minute you won't have to worry about it.

A few things that I've found different at Imperial compared with people I know from other universities is that the first year isn't a re-cap of A-Level, they assume you know that so you go straight into new and current things. This is good and bad depending on what you like. It's bad because you don't have an 'easy' first year (it counts for 11% of the overall degree) and you'll probably get your worst grades in your first year. However, it's good because it makes the other years so much easier because you're used to it and it's more interesting to learn about. Also you have to pass every module, if you fail you're allowed to re-sit once (capped at 40%) and if you fail that you have to re-sit the whole year (even if you only fail one module). This is the thing I like least about it, but the only people I know of that failed are people that revised a few days before the exam.

I was also worried people would have come from much nicer schools than mine and would look down on me, but that's not the case at all. There's a huge variety of people on the course so you'll easily find people to be friends with and everyone is friendly and willing to chat.

Finally if you're worried about getting your offer I know a few people who missed their offer by one grade and still got in, as long as the B wasn't in Biology and they had space on the course. Biology is one of Imperial's least popular courses, which is good for you because you can get an Imperial degree without having to worry so much about making the grades!

If you'd like to know more about what we study then feel free to ask, but I hope this helped you a bit.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you
    This has been very helpful

Do you feel imperial has a similar degree in terms of workload and prestige to Oxford as this was my number one choice originally.

Thanks so much for your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Firefly13)
    I'm a current second year studying Biology at Imperial so please feel free to ask me any specific questions you want

Personally I love it there. Most of our lecturers are really helpful and know a lot about their subject (Steve who does a lot of the first year lectures is amazing, you get off to a great start with him!). Of course you will have some lecturers you just don't like, but you will have that anywhere you go. If that does happen you can talk to your personal tutor or the undergraduate office and they'll do their best to sort things out for you (such as explaining things you didn't understand). We've only ever had one lecture who just read off a PowerPoint, which I've heard he has changed for the current first years after we commented on it, they mostly try to make an effort.

The work load is nowhere near as bad as I expected when I started. In the first year we had two lectures a day (9-10, 11-12) and twice a week we'd either have a tutorial or a lab practical (that changed though, sometimes we'd have nothing). It means you have most afternoons off to make notes, catch up with work or just relax. No one will chase you to make sure you're doing your work, but as long as you don't leave things until the last minute you won't have to worry about it.

A few things that I've found different at Imperial compared with people I know from other universities is that the first year isn't a re-cap of A-Level, they assume you know that so you go straight into new and current things. This is good and bad depending on what you like. It's bad because you don't have an 'easy' first year (it counts for 11% of the overall degree) and you'll probably get your worst grades in your first year. However, it's good because it makes the other years so much easier because you're used to it and it's more interesting to learn about. Also you have to pass every module, if you fail you're allowed to re-sit once (capped at 40%) and if you fail that you have to re-sit the whole year (even if you only fail one module). This is the thing I like least about it, but the only people I know of that failed are people that revised a few days before the exam.

I was also worried people would have come from much nicer schools than mine and would look down on me, but that's not the case at all. There's a huge variety of people on the course so you'll easily find people to be friends with and everyone is friendly and willing to chat.

Finally if you're worried about getting your offer I know a few people who missed their offer by one grade and still got in, as long as the B wasn't in Biology and they had space on the course. Biology is one of Imperial's least popular courses, which is good for you because you can get an Imperial degree without having to worry so much about making the grades!

If you'd like to know more about what we study then feel free to ask, but I hope this helped you a bit.
    Also which accommodation did you stay in and do you have a long commute from where you are currently staying

ReputationRep:

Thank you This has been very helpfulDo you feel imperial has a similar degree in terms of workload and prestige to Oxford as this was my number one choice originally.Thanks so much for your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgia44)
    Also which accommodation did you stay in and do you have a long commute from where you are currently staying
    I stayed at Pembridge in my first year. It's a 30-40 minute walk across Hyde Park to get to lectures, which I loved. There are places closer if you don't feel like the walk, but they are more expensive.

I'm not currently living in central London so I have about an hour commute in each day. That was out of choice though because I just didn't feel like staying in central London another year and wanted to live with my boyfriend (who's graduated). Most people have a 10-30 minute tube journey in, but I also know people who live a 10 minute walk away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgia44)
    Thank you This has been very helpfulDo you feel imperial has a similar degree in terms of workload and prestige to Oxford as this was my number one choice originally.Thanks so much for your help
    It will make absolutely minimal difference for employers. More people you would see on the street would recognise Oxford due to its history but Imperial and Oxford have similar prestige. Workload similar.
    I stayed at Pembridge in my first year. It's a 30-40 minute walk across Hyde Park to get to lectures, which I loved. There are places closer if you don't feel like the walk, but they are more expensive.

I'm not currently living in central London so I have about an hour commute in each day. That was out of choice though because I just didn't feel like staying in central London another year and wanted to live with my boyfriend (who's graduated). Most people have a 10-30 minute tube journey in, but I also know people who live a 10 minute walk away.
    I stayed in Pembridge in first year too and it took 25-30min by walk, to be honest. You can also walk through Kensington High Street.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yl95)
    I stayed in Pembridge in first year too and it took 25-30min by walk, to be honest. You can also walk through Kensington High Street.
    Sorry, I forgot I took a longer route through Hyde Park in the mornings because I liked it! Apologises, like this person said it doesn't have to take that long

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I forgot I took a longer route through Hyde Park in the mornings because I liked it! Apologises, like this person said it doesn't have to take that long
    Hyde Park only takes 25-30min for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yl95)
    Hyde Park only takes 25-30min for me.
    Haha, fair enough - guess I'm just a slow walker then!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.