Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Question a Progressive Scottish Nationalist watch

ReputationRep:
    I saw DMcGovern post allowing members to ask questions about Irish Republicanism etc. So it gave me the idea to allow members to ask me (a Progressive Scottish Independence Advocate) questions about Scottish Independence/Scottish Nationalism and the political situation at present in Scotland.

DMcGovern Thread
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4020923

ReputationRep:
    Do you think Scotland should have another referendum if Britain leaves the EU or do you respect the decision made two years ago?

ReputationRep:
    Why do you want independence?

Do you think there should/will be another referendum in the short term?

Given the plummeting oil prices, how do you think an independent Scotland would have fared economically had Scotland voted for independence?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djh2208)
    Do you think Scotland should have another referendum if Britain leaves the EU or do you respect the decision made two years ago?
    When Scotland voted to stay apart of the UK, it was on a promise, a vow of significant more powers (devolution max) which wasn't delivered but it was also of a promise that voting no to independence was the only way to stay apart of the EU. Yet we are now being told that we could be dragged out of the EU against our will which I think would be democratically indefensible. So I think if Scotland votes to stay in the EU but the rUK votes to leave the EU then there should be another referendum however if Scotland voted to leave and the rUK voted to stay I think that also merits another referendum. One thing I will say though is I back leaving the EU and I am not convinced that Scotland will vote to stay in the EU, from what I have heard by talking to people on the streets, it looks likely that Scotland could vote to leave and the polls could have it wrong.

To answer your second question, I respect the decision made by the people of Scotland in the 2014 referendum but just because I respect it doesn't mean I agree with it and certainly doesn't mean that I am going to give up my belief in independence or stop trying to get independence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    Why do you want independence?

Do you think there should/will be another referendum in the short term?

Given the plummeting oil prices, how do you think an independent Scotland would have fared economically had Scotland voted for independence?
    I want independence because I believe there is no-one better than the people who care the most about a country, the people living and working in a country to make the decisions affecting the country. Scotland's future should be in Scotland's hands.

I think there should be a referendum in the short term if there is a material change of circumstance or evidence of public support consistently being in favour of independence. However, I don't want to have a referendum that we are not going to win. I think that there is a possibility of a referendum depending on the EU referendum result but if that does not trigger a referendum then it is likely to be 2021 before there is another referendum.

I think that Scotland would of fared fine econimcally if we had voted for independence because firstly we wouldn't have been independent until last month. Secondly, it is unlikely a Scottish Government would continue austerity and would most likely take different economic decisions to the ones Westminster has which would mean different results. Thirdly, although the oil price has slumped, it is an added bonus for Scotland's economy, our economy is diverse and a fallen oil price has helped other industries. In addition to this, Scotland's onshore revenue is set to increase by something like £8 billion by the end of the decade which would make up for the fall in oil price.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TartanGibby)
    I saw DMcGovern post allowing members to ask questions about Irish Republicanism etc. So it gave me the idea to allow members to ask me (a Progressive Scottish Independence Advocate) questions about Scottish Independence/Scottish Nationalism and the political situation at present in Scotland.
    If you're going to copy my threads, at least link them so I can't complain

There's also a very very large difference between an Irish Republican and that strange "progressive nationalism" ()

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    If you're going to copy my threads, at least link them so I can't complain

There's also a very very large difference between an Irish Republican and that strange "progressive nationalism" ()
    Edited so you now have a link to your profile and to your thread. I never said that Irish Republican and Progressive Nationalism were the same, I said that your thread gave me the idea for my thread
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Edited so you now have a link to your profile and to your thread. I never said that Irish Republican and Progressive Nationalism were the same, I said that your thread gave me the idea for my thread
    Typical Scottish. They copy our language, our sport, everything! jk
    Although I've yet to hear of a Scots nationalist paramilitary group. I've heard of some Welsh ones though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    Typical Scottish. They copy our language, our sport, everything! jk
    Although I've yet to hear of a Scots nationalist paramilitary group. I've heard of some Welsh ones though
    To my knowledge there isn't one, we have the Scottish Resistance and the indy camp at Edinburgh and now Glasgow to apparently but that is about it in terms of pressure groups taking action.

We Scots are a peaceful bunch except when it comes to the English and our Haggis lol
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    To my knowledge there isn't one, we have the Scottish Resistance and the indy camp at Edinburgh and now Glasgow to apparently but that is about it in terms of pressure groups taking action.

We Scots are a peaceful bunch except when it comes to the English and our Haggis lol
    Interesting - there are so many different ideas in IR that there are more parties than you can count, and a lot of pressure groups

Haha

ReputationRep:
    What exactly makes you 'progressive'?

(Independence is progressive, the alternative, the union, is regressive)

Do you not feel shame at this attempt to hijack words and use them to show a positive light on whatever it is you're advocating? It's a form of social engineering and thought control you know, and you're either pursuing it or have been swallowed up by it yourself.

"I want independence because I believe there is no-one better than the people who care the most about a country, the people living and working in a country to make the decisions affecting the country. Scotland's future should be in Scotland's hands."

Why is this at all valid justification?

Why are 'Scottish people' more able to govern Scotland?

When the UK has a Scottish Prime Minister (Gordon Brown) and a Scottish Chancellor of the Exchequer (Alistair Darling) as was the case between around 2007 to 2010 was the entire UK geared towards supporting Scotland just because the two most senior members of Government were Scottish?

Or was it the case that the interests of the UK constituent countries were pursued equally as they always have been regardless of the home nationality of our leaders?

If that has been the case or if England has still received favour, how does that make Scottish people more able to look out for Scotland's needs if they have already had the opportunity but failed?

Why does Scotland, a rather insignificant region in global comparisons of just 5.3m people and a landmass of just 77,933 km2 require total independence to achieve optimum governance while Texas can work just fine in the USA with a population of 27.4m people and a land area of 696,241 km2. How can entire countries like China, India, Russia and the USA manage with their vast territories and populations if every region is marginalised by a great number of others while Scotland only has to 'compete' with 3 in the UK and is still so apparently worse off for it?

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to take a shot in the dark here - you want to remain in the EU amongst leaving the UK-union?
    I'm wondering if the fact that scots haven't been dealt the damage of immigration (housing, jobs and school place shortages being the biggest factors) has much to do with it

ReputationRep:
    BubbleBoobies
    Not necessarily true

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)
    BubbleBoobies
    Not necessarily true
    yeah not "necessarily", but "necessarily" is a high bar to set here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BubbleBoobies)
    yeah not "necessarily", but "necessarily" is a high bar to set here
    Whilst I agree England has been hit harder than the Scots, I still think Scotland has its own problems.
    The construction industry has been underfunded for a long time now imo

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I agree England has been hit harder than the Scots, I still think Scotland has its own problems
    yeah but what problems based on the EU do they have?

ReputationRep:
    yeah but what problems based on the EU do they have?
    Well I think we gain a lot more than we lose tbh.
    Leaving the EU seems like it would take a massive renegotiation of terms. The EU is good to us

ReputationRep:
    Well I think we gain a lot more than we lose tbh.
    Leaving the EU seems like it would take a massive renegotiation of terms. The EU is good to us
    benefits to scotland? or the UK?
    if scotland leaves the UK and applies for membership, then they too shall get swamped with migrants as well. do they really want that? because that's not how the EU contemporarily brings them benefits, because all the migrants go to england, not scotland, because england is richer

ReputationRep:
    benefits to scotland? or the UK?
    if scotland leaves the UK and applies for membership, then they too shall get swamped with migrants as well. do they really want that? because that's not how the EU contemporarily brings them benefits, because all the migrants go to england, not scotland, because england is richer
    A common misconception, the migrants tend to think England is richer, when really the average wage is very similar. I dont think most care whether it's Scotland or England they end up in

ReputationRep:
    A common misconception, the mugrants tend to think England is richer, when really the average wage is very similar.
    well you're still saying that this is what they assume

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.