Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ladies, question about guys being too loving? Watch

If a guy was the type of person that would always be there to help you, compliments you all the time, consistently tells you he loves you and so on... Would this affect your relationship in any way?

Would you like this sort of relationship or would you see it as being too much?
    Im that type of guy in my relationship and I'm worried it'll make things turn sour...

Whats your take on it?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds good to me

ReputationRep:
    too much.

always there to help me = very good.
    compliments me all the time = no & v. annoying.
    consistently tells me he loves me= no I'm not a "words of affirmation" type person (sometimes is good)

it would affect a relationship in that I wouldn't want to be in one with him lol, probably wouldn't get into one with that type of person anywayyyyy.

Some girls like it though, if she's already in a relationship with you surely that means she likes how you are.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I wouldnt see that as being too much

ReputationRep:
    This is very subjective, some girls love it and thrive in relationships like those, I personally find it suffocating and have broken up with guys before because of it. (bear in mind what you described was extremely mild in comparison to them) If the girl really likes you then this wouldn't matter to her, plus if you're not too far into the relationship it may just the honeymoon/lust stage and eventually you'll tone down on it, but there's nothing wrong with a little extra sugar:-)

ReputationRep:
    Sounds great, I'm sure girls would love you.

Assuming they don't already have a doormat, in which case you'd be redundant.

Ok, I might have overstated how I am here a little bit, let me correct it.

I dont always compliment her, just from time to time.

I tell her I love her as much as she tells me, so its kind of an equal balance between us.

ReputationRep:
    Thats how my boyfriend is with me and we've been together for 4 years however it does depend on the girl... for me i like it <3

ReputationRep:
    I'd find that nice.
    my boyfriend is just like that and I don't find it too overbearing - it's just our relationship.

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend acts like that and I love it

ReputationRep:
    It's nice but in excess it can be off putting.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    It is different for every girl. To me, that sounds like what a boyfriend should be like but it can be a bit suffocating if your boyfriend is like that every single minute of the day almost. Sometimes I prefer the subtle signs that my bf loves me instead of him constantly wanting to hug and kiss me. I love when he tells me he loves me, hugs me, does things for me etc but I am one of those people who feels smothered if affection is shown constantly. It should be shown every single day, but not every single minute. Subtle signs you care are fine too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    If a guy was the type of person that would always be there to help you, compliments you all the time, consistently tells you he loves you and so on... Would this affect your relationship in any way?

Would you like this sort of relationship or would you see it as being too much?
    Im that type of guy in my relationship and I'm worried it'll make things turn sour...

Whats your take on it?
    I've been in a friendship with a guy like this before and whilst it was nice at first it just gets a bit sickening after a while. Always being there to help you is nice, but constant compliments and constantly telling you he loves you is a big turn off (at least for me) One or two genuine compliments is fine; telling her you love her is only advised if you're in a serious relationship otherwise it's just vomit inducing and cringey.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 17, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.