Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you ever do something life changing with no plan? watch

ReputationRep:
    Pretty simple question really:

Would you ever do something big and life changing, without a plan after.

I'll give you my background on this question: I am a 24yr old male. I feel myself not going far in my current job and as much as I love the people, I don't want to work there anymore. I applied to jobs and grad schemes and I got through a couple of assessment centers on some but in the end I didn't get any.

If I am to leave right now: I leave with no job lined up or nothing to do in the mean time. I have been teaching myself skills (web development, about to do TEFL) so I can freelance but I would like to take some time and go travelling....but as it's on my own I'm too scared and that's why I've not committed!

I don't want to do a masters as I don't think it will benefit me much, maybe an MBA but need a little more money for that.

Any advice/comments guys?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    i shall transf'rm into a mistress
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by claret_n_blue)
    Pretty simple question really:

Would you ever do something big and life changing, without a plan after.

I'll give you my background on this question: I am a 24yr old male. I feel myself not going far in my current job and as much as I love the people, I don't want to work there anymore. I applied to jobs and grad schemes and I got through a couple of assessment centers on some but in the end I didn't get any.

If I am to leave right now: I leave with no job lined up or nothing to do in the mean time. I have been teaching myself skills (web development, about to do TEFL) so I can freelance but I would like to take some time and go travelling....but as it's on my own I'm too scared and that's why I've not committed!

I don't want to do a masters as I don't think it will benefit me much, maybe an MBA but need a little more money for that.

Any advice/comments guys?

Thanks!
    Yes i did, I dropped out of my degree last month with no back up plan and it was the first time in my life with no plan but i felt much happier and healthier for it. May look into getting something that you're okay with to pay the bills and get some savings in the mean time whilst you figure out a plan?

ReputationRep:
    I want to do a TELF too. ^^

That's a TL;DR in the spoiler, about my experience.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I pretty much ended up doing something without any plan. I was feeling a bit miserable at uni (personal problems, existential crises, etc.) but one day my History lecturer asked us if we wanted to work alongside Edexcel to come up with exemplary essays for the new A2 curriculum, and I offered to help.
    Also volunteered as a peer mentor in my department, that didn't go on too well. Nobody asked me for any help, and I felt bad to having taken a role, but not having done anything for it. So, one night, I wrote an entire handbook with everything I wished I knew in my first year at uni, and also some academic sources and advice.

I initially got an internship for the Bank of England earlier this year, but had to refuse as the living costs were a killer. I couldn't afford to live in London for how much they paid me a year. After that, I frantically tried applying everywhere, no success. One week in March I got a message from a school asking if I can tutor some children in History and Politics, and it felt like a dream...having someone to ask you for a job instead of vice versa. Apparently they found my resume interesting on indeed. Funny how I spent weeks trying to get a job, mostly to retailers, but ended up being asked to do something that's actually relevant to my degree (and the pay is good too). If I hadn't offered to do the two things above, maybe I wouldn't have gotten this chance.

Now this encouraged me to take part in a governmental internship back in my home country for the summer. I'm aiming to get a place in either the Ministry of External Affairs, or in the Ministry of Culture, or as an assistant curator for the National Cultural Patrimony.

A year before all of this, I felt like nothing was working for me, but now I feel a spark of hope. I don't have a carved out plan, as I'm sick of planning things in my life fearing that they might not come true. I initially wanted to go to medical school; I had the support of everybody around me, from my anatomy teacher, to doctors, colleagues and even lecturers from the University of Medicine, just not my parents. They were highly against this, and thus discouraged me. It was incredibly painful seeing colleagues that I tutored in anatomy in my high school years, following their dream. That made me hate my degree, despite enjoying the disciplines. I'm still not in love with how things turned out for me, but...oh well; as Epicurus said: Demand not that things happen as you wish, but wish them to happen as they do, and you will go on well.
    What I can tell you is, do whatever you want, if you have the possibility to do so (as long as you don't want to ruin your life in any way...just saying, I had an attempt in doing that >_>) . Just be aware that things might not always turn out the way you want them to, or when you want them to. That shouldn't scare you, though... such is life. If you have in mind of doing TEFL, finish that and then you can travel to a different country and teach English there. Ironically, I'm not even a native English speaker, but because I scored max in IELTS, I am considered one (in all but ethnicity :giggle:). That means I could apply to teach English in my homeland (the irony).

ReputationRep:
    Go for it! Who needs a plan? Doing things without a plan gives me the most thrill and teaches me the most lessons in life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sheikhspeare II)
    i shall transf'rm into a mistress
    What are going on about bro?

ReputationRep:
    Everybody is saying "yes go for it blah blah".

I'm on a £30k a year job at the moment.

Does that change anything?

Like everyone, of course I want money. And when I come back from whatever, the most I'll want to drop down to is £27k. I have a family house in London and one we are buying in Hertfordshire. These all cost money. I have to help my parents pay for stuff etc.

Is it more complicated than I am thinking or am I just over thinking?

ReputationRep:
    Bump?

ReputationRep:
    do it for the vine

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on risk-to-reward ratio

ReputationRep:
    I have never had a plan. Just do what feels right.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.