Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I posted a few months ago about getting back into school and starting to work towards a degree into Veterinary Medicine. I'll avoid giving all my background again as y question is simply about entry requirements and distant learning.

I currently hold GCSES
    A/B Science, C Maths, C English and 5 B's in other subjects

As we discussed in the last post these don't meet the basic entry requirements for any universities. So I will be retaking some of my GCSEs through distance learning to get my grades up to scratch. Then go onto A levels in Bio/Chem/Phy while going down to part time work.

So to my questions-
    From the research I've done the best learning provider I could find was the NEC.
    https://www.nec.ac.uk/
    Do you guys think this is a good choice?
    Any personal experience?

Now to subject choice for the GCSES, i'm aware I need 5 A'S to include Maths, English and Science.
    So Maths and English are 2Retakes Definetly needed.

Would the A I have cover me for the science? Or because I received a A/B grade does it not count?. If I was to retake the double award in science would that would count as two A's?. Would my previous A still contribute?. Thus giving me 3 towards my 5 total?

Then I was just going to take History / Geography depending on how many more subject A's I needed.

I'll throw in some other questions about work experience while im on a roll :P

Previous employment and work experience
    Wildlife rescue 3 years including both part time and full time.
    Animal Technician 6 Months and Lab assistant work experience 1 Month
    Cat re homing centre 5 Months voluntary part time
    Current - Equine groom for competition stables 6 months
    (I have found a dairy farm but currently don't have the time to work there but it is something I want to do)
    ( I have also got some great references from each of my past posts)

A part from an actual vets is there anything I'm really lacking? Might sound a weird question but how much will my past work experience really play into getting into vet med. Are they all about the grades or is it 50/50??

Any general advice would be great as well. Thanks guys this is the best place to get advice and you've all already helped me out so much.
    Thanks a ton Tom.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Thomas19)

Would the A I have cover me for the science? Or because I received a A/B grade does it not count?. If I was to retake the double award in science would that would count as two A's?. Would my previous A still contribute?. Thus giving me 3 towards my 5 total?
    I'm not 100% sure, but to double check I'd email admissions at the uni you want to apply to.

I would also check about their policy for retakes. Some may not allow them unless you;ve had extenuating circumstances.

A part from an actual vets is there anything I'm really lacking? Might sound a weird question but how much will my past work experience really play into getting into vet med. Are they all about the grades or is it 50/50??
    Yes, you are missing actual vet practices. Try to see both large and small animal vets if possible.
    You also are lacking in farm stuff. If you can't go to a farm during the week could you go at weekends? It's doesn't have to be dairy - other farms might include poultry and pigs for example (depending on what you have in your region).

Try quantifying your work experience into weeks (e.g. 1 full day x 5 = 1 weeks) to give you an idea of what you should be aiming for in terms of quantity.

Your work experience is a vital part of your application. How much weight a uni places on work exp vs grades depends on the uni. E.g. Cambridge want you have to have stellar grades but aren't fussed if you've not done a lot of work exp. On the other side, Liverpool will invite everyone who meets the minimum grade requirements to fill out a work experience questionnaire and will invite the top 500 or so for interview based on the questionnaire (ie higher grades than the minimum would confer you no advantage at Liverpool). How you talk about placements at interview is also another important factor.

ReputationRep:
    So to my questions-
    From the research I've done the best learning provider I could find was the NEC.
    https://www.nec.ac.uk/
    Do you guys think this is a good choice?
    Any personal experience?
    No personal experience, but NEC has been around for awhile and is reputable - as with any distance learning thing it is more about your own motivation. If you can though, I would try to find a local higher education college, they take 'older' students, and this would definitely be better especially for A-level as some lab sciences cannot be taken by distance learning.

Now to subject choice for the GCSES, i'm aware I need 5 A'S to include Maths, English and Science.
    So Maths and English are 2Retakes Definetly needed.

Try emailing some universities and see what they say. If I were you I would take 3 separate sciences - this would be more helpful to you for A-level preparation, show your commitment, and has the upside of being more like starting from scratch than retaking. It is even possible some unis may see it as not being retakes anyway as it has been such as long time since your original GCSEs - but check with them about this.

By the time you apply you may well be classed as a mature student, and most unis have different policies on mature student admittance to allow for the fact that people can change and become more motivated, harder working and more sure of their vocation when they get older. Check with individual unis about their entry requirements for mature students, there may be opportunities to do an access course or similar.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.