Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

For the past 18 months, since i arrived in uk, I haven't been able to make Real friends. I mean i do have acquaintances to hang around for footy or films, but that's it. Initally, though i spoke english fluently i couldnt grasp much in coversations due to their accent and also humor, although now i do. For these reasons i dont get along with most people in my year.

Ive been invited to birthday parties, before but because of my religion cant really go, thus limiting options to make social connections. I mean right now i havent got the time to get into a sport or activity(due to exams). I really dont know where to start from to get to know people, and not come of as been weird or creepy.
    Im very unhappy how my life turned out because i feel like ive become so boring, with nothing much to bring in conversations.

How do i get out of this situation? where could i start off to make Real friends outside?I feel like i dont have control over my life...

Hello there
    Hang on a sec- it doesn't sound like you're completely isolated here- you must be on pretty good terms with your 'aquaintances' if you are able to play football and watch films with them! Even if you don't have much in common with them or don't know them very well, I wouldn't shut off possible friendships with them, get to know them! Make conversation with them, ask them questions, ask if they want to hang out at lunch and break, put in effort to get to know them and they might put in more effort to get to know you! This also goes with people in your lessons or fellow students in general- be friendly, smile and say hello and make conversation where possible even if it's just asking about homework or something! Be open and friendly, don't close yourself of and wait for people to come to you. People are far more likely to want to get to know you if you give off a open, friendly vibe and show that you're willing to put yourself out there and make new friendships. I also understand that you might be really busy studying for exams but you obviously do need to have a break at some point and spending a few hours out of your week at a club to do with an activity or hobby you enjoy is not only a great way to meet like minded people but it will also keep your mind fresh and able to focus more on studying! As well as this, try and take as many oppotunities possible- obviously if it's confliciting with your religious beliefs then by no means do you have to go somewhere or do something, but try and go to as many events and go to parties or whatever when you can as you are garenteed to meet loads of people and you'll definately have something to talk about- it sounds like you need new and interesting experiences! It might also be worth considering getting a job as this is another way for you to meet new people and try new things and there's no harm gaining some extra cash and expereince to put on your CV or Personal Statement! Good luck and I hope things work out for you

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Hello there
    Hang on a sec- it doesn't sound like you're completely isolated here- you must be on pretty good terms with your 'aquaintances' if you are able to play football and watch films with them! Even if you don't have much in common with them or don't know them very well, I wouldn't shut off possible friendships with them, get to know them! Make conversation with them, ask them questions, ask if they want to hang out at lunch and break, put in effort to get to know them and they might put in more effort to get to know you! This also goes with people in your lessons or fellow students in general- be friendly, smile and say hello and make conversation where possible even if it's just asking about homework or something! Be open and friendly, don't close yourself of and wait for people to come to you. People are far more likely to want to get to know you if you give off a open, friendly vibe and show that you're willing to put yourself out there and make new friendships. I also understand that you might be really busy studying for exams but you obviously do need to have a break at some point and spending a few hours out of your week at a club to do with an activity or hobby you enjoy is not only a great way to meet like minded people but it will also keep your mind fresh and able to focus more on studying! As well as this, try and take as many oppotunities possible- obviously if it's confliciting with your religious beliefs then by no means do you have to go somewhere or do something, but try and go to as many events and go to parties or whatever when you can as you are garenteed to meet loads of people and you'll definately have something to talk about- it sounds like you need new and interesting experiences! It might also be worth considering getting a job as this is another way for you to meet new people and try new things and there's no harm gaining some extra cash and expereince to put on your CV or Personal Statement! Good luck and I hope things work out for you
    Thanks man i think you might have opened my eyes somehow. I wont giveup ill try to improve my situation

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 23, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.