Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My employer is breaking the law by not paying tax. I know he avoid tax because he pays us all cash in hand, without a payslip plus he doesn't charge for carrier bags etc. I know this is illegal but I don't want to report him Incase I get money/employability rights taken away from me?

I'm 17 so I get paid minimum wage, I only make between £75-135 a week depending on whether or not I get shifts that week because I am part time.

Since I get paid very little does this mean I will not have any money or rights taken away from me because I accepted the cash in hand payments?

I really want to report him because I think it's unfair but I need more information, also I'm young and don't want to do anything I could regret.

* I just want advice so don't leave stupid or rude answers cause they're irrelevant*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brebre09)
    My employer is breaking the law by not paying tax. I know he avoid tax because he pays us all cash in hand, without a payslip plus he doesn't charge for carrier bags etc. I know this is illegal but I don't want to report him Incase I get money/employability rights taken away from me?

I'm 17 so I get paid minimum wage, I only make between £75-135 a week depending on whether or not I get shifts that week because I am part time.

Since I get paid very little does this mean I will not have any money or rights taken away from me because I accepted the cash in hand payments?

I really want to report him because I think it's unfair but I need more information, also I'm young and don't want to do anything I could regret.

* I just want advice so don't leave stupid or rude answers cause they're irrelevant*
    Don't know about the not paying tax part. But not everyone has to charge for plastic bags.

ReputationRep:
    where do you work??
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Speak to someone from the citizens advice bureau. They will be able to give you advice and will be able to point you in the right direction if you want to take things further.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    You will have to weigh up how much you want to report him versus how much you want the job. Which is more important to you, his illegality or your income?

If you can use the internet to get on TSR, you can use it to work out the implications of working cash in hand.

There are various reasons why he may not be charging for bags, again search on Google and find out the rules.

ReputationRep:
    Ideally you should report him ASAP, but... how long to you intend to stay working in this job? If you get another job within the next couple of years then you could just wait until you are in another job so reporting him doesn't affect you. It doesn't really help her majesty's treasury if they have to provide benefits to a sacked worker for the payoff of a small-scale tax evasion fine.

ReputationRep:
    blackmail him

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.