Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would I be able to cancel my student finance in August? Also what if I defer a year? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I just have a couple questions, if someone could help answer for me please.

If I were to apply for student finance now, would i be able to cancel it later on, say August, if I wanted to?

Also, if I were to apply for student finance and defer my entry, will I have to reapply for student finance again? What would happen if I deferred my entry? Would my student finance account be put on hold until i start the next year? Would it get cancelled? Would I need to reapply?

I'm unsure whether I want to take out the loan or to work and pay for it.

Thank you.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by bakedbeans247)

If I were to apply for student finance now, would i be able to cancel it later on, say August, if I wanted to?

Also, if I were to apply for student finance and defer my entry, will I have to reapply for student finance again? What would happen if I deferred my entry? Would my student finance account be put on hold until i start the next year? Would it get cancelled? Would I need to reapply?

Thank you.
    Yes of course you can cancel it. Yes you have to reapply
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by bakedbeans247)

Thank you.
    SLC don't pay out a penny until your university confirms your physical attendance on the course. If you don't start the course that year your loans will be cancelled automatically.

You have to reapply for student finance every year - that means if you defer then you have to start all over again.

If you're considering paying up front then have a read of this:http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/stu...t-student-loan it isn't usually a good idea financially to pay up front.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    SLC don't pay out a penny until your university confirms your physical attendance on the course. If you don't start the course that year your loans will be cancelled automatically.

You have to reapply for student finance every year - that means if you defer then you have to start all over again.

If you're considering paying up front then have a read of this:http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/stu...t-student-loan it isn't usually a good idea financially to pay up front.
    Thanks for responding!

Also it's not because of the debt as to why I'm considering to try pay upfront. But thanks for taking the time to send the article

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Yes of course you can cancel it. Yes you have to reapply
    Thanks for responding!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)

Hey, me again, just another quick question that i think you might be able to help me with, if you don't mind ofc!

Is it possible to take a gap year after the 1st and/or 2nd year of university? How hard is it to be allowed to take one? I've heard you can take years off if your sick. For a student who wants to take a year off between years so that he can work and save up money to pay for the tuition fees, is that a good enough reason (if gap years are allowed that is)? In case you know their specific policies, I'm hoping to get into either Qmul or Kcl god willing.

Thanks!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.