Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I saw a post today on one of my facebook "friends" wall about what a great time they had at a school reunion. Turns out by looking at all the photos that there was a school reunion 2 weeks ago and pretty much everyone was there. No one emailed or facebooked or called me or anything about this. I didn't really have friends when I was at school (there were a few people I spoke to a little who added me on facebook like 8 years ago), and they purposely messed up my yearbook photo but I feel really upset that no one gives a damn about me.

I've had depression and low self-esteem, a lot of it stemming from the bullying I received at school but I thought people might have grown up. However, it really doesn't seem that way.

I'm actually fighting back tears today from this, I know I'm being stupid and never really had friends so why would I even want to go? but even if I didn't go (I now live several hundred miles away) it would have been nice to be invited.

This has reopened those high school feelings. I feel like nothing's changed and I'm still that loser guy that no one likes,

Am I being too sensitive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I saw a post today on one of my facebook "friends" wall about what a great time they had at a school reunion. Turns out by looking at all the photos that there was a school reunion 2 weeks ago and pretty much everyone was there. No one emailed or facebooked or called me or anything about this. I didn't really have friends when I was at school (there were a few people I spoke to a little who added me on facebook like 8 years ago), and they purposely messed up my yearbook photo but I feel really upset that no one gives a damn about me.

I've had depression and low self-esteem, a lot of it stemming from the bullying I received at school but I thought people might have grown up. However, it really doesn't seem that way.

I'm actually fighting back tears today from this, I know I'm being stupid and never really had friends so why would I even want to go? but even if I didn't go (I now live several hundred miles away) it would have been nice to be invited.

This has reopened those high school feelings. I feel like nothing's changed and I'm still that loser guy that no one likes,

Hey buddy,

It's bad, I kinda know the feeling. The best piece of advice I'd give to you is to simply move on and form your own friends. Forget about them, they're not worth worrying about or probs seeing again if they treated you the way you said. Are you at uni? Plenty of opportunities to start a new social life there and to put your past behind you. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    F*ck them. Most of the people I went to school with were pricks too. Now they're working at call centres for the likes of Next and H&M on minimum salary. Being 'hard' in school really paid off for them (!)
    Made my proper friends in college and uni.

ReputationRep:
    Hi OP, I haven't read the other responses, as I wanted to get in touch without delay. It's your peer group that has the problem, not you, as they have subscribed to perpetuating a taxonomy from an earlier stage of their development.

It's all slightly ridiculous, so comfort yourself with the knowledge that as they felt it necessary to occupy the emotional dynamic of their younger selves, this proves that they haven't evolved in the interim.

Bottom line: they're the losers, not you. Feel released from their tyranny.

Thanks so much for the advice guys! I worried people would attack me for being stupid, but your posts have really made me feel better about it.

Been torturing myself with Facebook again today

The more I look, the more pictures I find posted. The most hurtful thing "So weird how much everyone has changed in 10 years". Yeah....everyone.

I want to post on these people's walls about leaving me out but that'll probably just isolate me more. :cry2:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

The more I look, the more pictures I find posted. The most hurtful thing "So weird how much everyone has changed in 10 years". Yeah....everyone.

I want to post on these people's walls about leaving me out but that'll probably just isolate me more. :cry2:
    :hugs:
    School is just one stage in your life, and you don't have to connect with everyone there. If they left you out, it is their loss. You sound like a wonderfully sweet and good person, don't let some idiots get you down.

Oh my dear, come here :hugs:. Don't be upset :console:.
    They didn't invite you, it's their loss. Move on and forget about it.
    Try not to dwell on it too much and just forget about it.
    It's okay. Everything will be okay, don't worry too much, take deep breaths and clear the mind. :console:
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I wouldnt wnat to go back or get upset about not having a reunion with people who bullied me. If you go nack soem time in the future make your life great and show them they never stopped you.

ReputationRep:
    Why is our education system being Americanised. I mean really, school reunions? What next, dating the prom queen?

ReputationRep:

Your not being stupid at all, its perfectly normal to be upset at being left out- I get upset when I see lots of people invited to something and not me.

(Original post by TearsInRain)
    Why is our education system being Americanised. I mean really, school reunions? What next, dating the prom queen?
    What the hell are you talking about? My school actually predates the USA and has been holding school reunions for a very long time.

ReputationRep:
    Story of my life

ReputationRep:
    What the hell are you talking about? My school actually predates the USA and has been holding school reunions for a very long time.
    Okay well good to know. I'm no expert just thought it was an American thing.

ReputationRep:
    You were probably too cool for the school reunion. Don't dwell on it too much, it won't do anything. Anyways, if you would like to know the reason why you could always ask somebody why you weren't.

ReputationRep:
    This is the kind of s:banana::banana:t that's convinced me to go nearly off the grid (e.g. creating a new facebook profile ad cutting off all contact to nearly everyone I know) once I get to university. I'm only going to talk to family and a couple of trusted friends, otherwise I'm starting anew. F:banana::banana:k them, you don't need trash like that in your life, you're a better person than they will ever be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vela1)
    F*ck them. Most of the people I went to school with were pricks too. Now they're working at call centres for the likes of Next and H&M on minimum salary. Being 'hard' in school really paid off for them (!)
    Made my proper friends in college and uni.
    This is actually true.
    I was never cool in school, but now Im making bank. f*ck the haters.

ReputationRep:
    You have to move on.

People you knew at school will always view you that way probs, so you just gotta move on and meet new people now. Just totally cut them off and start anew. That way you'll gain good friends, and you'll hopefully keep in contact with a few even if you went away etc.

Stop trying to be friends with them, and start meeting new people. And I'm certain you're a nice person. Consider them pricks, and know that you would have gained nothing out of a friendship with them. You didn't miss out on anything because any friendship s with them would have brought you down with them, to the detriment of you, and know that you retained your dignity and self-respect.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 27, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.