Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is this a selfish lifestyle sould you say ? Watch

Is it selfish if a woman decides not to have children and just focus on herself all her life? For example if shes into sports spending most of her time keeping fit in her spare time whilst working on her career to be the best person she can be?

ReputationRep:
    Yes the inherent purpose of all humans is to procreate. That's just my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Is it selfish if a woman decides not to have children and just focus on herself all her life? For example if shes into sports spending most of her time keeping fit in her spare time whilst working on her career to be the best person she can be?
    It is not for an outsider to judge.
    If she finds a man which focus on himself that wants no children they will make a good couple

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Not at all. If that's what you want to do then go ahead and do it. You're not being forced or under any obligation to have children.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all. If you don't want children that's fine. I don't believe our main purpose in life is to procreate, I think it's to enjoy life and be happy.

ReputationRep:
    No, the world is becoming over populated as it is. The more people who dedicate their lives to study and/or their careers, the more of a chance there is that we will discover cures for incurable diseases and solutions for unsolvable problems.

I think we've hit or are close to hitting a point in humanity where there are enough of us that our primary purpose is no longer to reproduce.

Obviously there will always be people who want to have children and that is of course a good thing, we can't just stop reproducing. But it just doesn't take as many of us to reproduce to keep humanity going anymore so we can focus our efforts and lives on other things.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not selfish in the least bit. People should live their life however they wish to.

ReputationRep:
    No? The world is currently overpopulated. If a woman chooses not to have children she's being incredibly selfless by opting not to bring a child she doesn't want into an overpopulated world.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No it's not selfish at all. There's nothing wrong with putting your own wants and needs first. I mean the only way people might begin to like the idea is if it's framed under things like saving the planet through reducing the pressure on resources.

Getting married/having children is such a strong script that we're given its hard to believe that it's actually a choice for many of us.

ReputationRep:
    nope, i'm a woman and i don't want kids. I want to enjoy my life, do what i want with it, spend my money on whatever i want. Maybe i am selfish but at least i'm free and living for myself

ReputationRep:
    Short answer is no and the long answer is no

ReputationRep:
    Not at all, this is the life I think I want to have, it would be more selfish to being a child, unwanted into the world for the sake of crumbling to peer pressure. Live your own life, it's yours and no one else's!!!

ReputationRep:
    Well yes because selfish is to act in your own interests, but once again I'm not seeing an issue here. People do selfish things every single day, everyone does.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 17, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.