The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by IftekharAhad
As the title says. What companies/employees would employ a 14 year old for a part time job during holidays and weekends?

The law says you have to be 16 to work officially ... so you will need to find a job through contacts who will pay with cash. You can't physically be paid to your bank so you'll need a local, unofficial job, maybe help out in a corner shop and babysit?
As the title says. What companies/employees would employ a 14 year old for a part time job during holidays and weekends?

Some restaurants take on waitresses from 14. But mainly not the chain ones.
Other than that you are limited to a paper round or babysitting, gardening etc.
Original post by zoemyers
The law says you have to be 16 to work officially ... so you will need to find a job through contacts who will pay with cash. You can't physically be paid to your bank so you'll need a local, unofficial job, maybe help out in a corner shop and babysit?

Well yeah, you can be paid into your bank account. How do you think paper rounds pay you for starters. You might not have a national inusrance number etc, but you can still be paid into a bank account.
you could ask your neighbours if they need help walking their pets etc ?
Reply 5

Selling cookies, biscuits, drinks etc.. omdz I was making profit in year 9 and 10

Buy 10 cookies for 2 pound, sell each of them for 50p easy 5 quid ... cookies made me the most money.

A whole packet of custard creams cost like 45p, but people often buy from you for like £1

As for marketing techniques, 9 times out of 10 the fat kids will defo buy something

sho bro
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
You can be an actor.
When I was smaller I used to do peoples homework for them £1.00 for one side rate was variable. It took me like 2-3 minutes to do it. Made bare money
I've heard WHSmith take 14 year olds for part time work, but problem is there's no vacancies near my area
When I was 14 I was working at a local farm/stable yard- mucking out, helping with the animal- feeds, bringing in horses etc... Obviously it's a bit more niche but if you're up for it I was on like £5 an hour which is more than min. wage!
I've heard Boots employ 15 year olds too, only problem is there are no vacancies at the moment :frown:
I need a part time jobs on weekends
i'm fifteen going on sixteen any other suggestions? also, is it a good idea to get a job right before gcses?
Probably not the best idea to get a job now because as soon the revision and stress will kick in and you just won't have time for it.I suggest that you get a job after your exams as you will have a variety of places that will take you on as you would have finished your GCSE's.
I am 14 and I would like to earn some extra money. does anyone know of any places that would be willing to take me on? Thanks:u:
Im 14 do u have any jobs for me in Harlow
Original post by i_solemnly_swear
i'm fifteen going on sixteen any other suggestions? also, is it a good idea to get a job right before gcses?

Its not a good idea to do that its better to do it after and you could ask your teachers what were your expected results
It all depends on the companies and managers in your area. I worked in a pharmacy at 14 and my friends had jobs as waitresses, swimming instructors, etc.

There’s also dog-walking which you may think isn’t a “proper” job but one of my friends does that and she gets paid more than all of us. It’s a very profitable job :smile:
Original post by i_solemnly_swear

I personally wouldn’t. I had a job until about a month before GCSEs (I quit) and honestly I regret wasting so much valuable time working when I could’ve been revising. Not to mention they weren’t very helpful reguarding time off during exams - you may find they want you to work the day before or weekends during the exam period and honestly you just don’t need that stress. Especially if you start right before GCSEs, they won’t want to give you time off straight away.

If you want to take my advice, I’d say wait until your exams are over and get a job in summer afterwards. That’s what I’m doing :smile:
I used to do cleaning in an office and work in a cafe pot washing at 14. I also mucked out stables at 15 so that might be worth thinking about. This was many years ago though so probably not really relevant for today with all the new laws to consider.

Generally though I think you are going to be limited to babysitting/dog walking/car washing for friends and neighbours or a paper round.

Latest

Trending

Trending