Turn on thread page Beta

OCR Chemistry Trends + Patterns and Option watch

ReputationRep:
    Well, i thought i'd put my manditory comment in. That was my worst exam ever, but i expected it to be. I watched tennis last night, instead of revise. I completely screwed up the first question of trends and patterns i'm sure, i just dont wanna think about it! Then there were bits and bobs i messed up everywhere else. My option (MAD) wasnt much better tbh. The last part was good, and so was the long question - once again, the first question had my most in a pickle. So overall, I'd guess to C's there, i'd hate to say to D's....but with my other grades (hopefully i DID do well on unifying concepts) i will have an A or B overall (A ideally of course).

The long questions were the best - i think i would have got close to full marks on the last part of trends and patterns - goodie!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    The long questions were the best - i think i would have got close to full marks on the last part of trends and patterns - goodie!
    I seriously loved that long answer question What was the deal with the dot and cross diagrams at the beginning though - that was more like something out of Unifying Concepts! Totally mucked that up, though - I knew sulphur dioxide had covalent bonding but because they've all got 6 electrons in their outer shell I ended up doing a covalent arrangement with one oxygen electron and one sulphur electron on either side of the sulphur atom, leaving the sulphur with two lone pairs - I'm pretty sure that wasn't right. And then I stupidly wrote that the molecular shape was bipyramidal because of the two lone pairs which I think was wrong too because with just two bonding molecules it surely should've been linear?

On the bright side, no Born-Haber cycles or redox titration calculations! Incidentally, what did people get for the anti-caking iron complex iron formula? I put [Fe(KCN)4(CN-)2] because I couldn't think of anything else to do with the K ions :eek: That was a bit of a nasty question because it said in the syllabus that the only ligands we would come across would be CN, NH3 etc - I've never read anything about potassium salts being involved in complex ions, even if it is applying knowledge to new situations!

Biochemistry was a bit naff - 50 minutes is just too short for me and I didn't finish the nice long answer question on the different protein structures (serves me right for spending too long on the diagrams). I think there were some questions that I'd skipped in order to get the rest of the paper done and I don't remember going back and doing those so my mark is probably a bit rubbish. Oh well, I need 28 marks each on those two papers for a B and even if not I can get away with a C for Uni so it ain't the end of the world

ReputationRep:
    I did biochemistry and trends and it was crappity crap crap.

All the stuff most people find hard but I can actually do (born-harber cycles, titration calculations) didn't show up. I didn't need to know any of the transition metal solutions or precipitates or ligand colours I spent ages memorising, or the stupid absorbance graphs. If I'd just not bothered to revise for that exam at all, it wouldn't have made any difference to how I did.

I arsed up drawing my graph, then somehow screwed up the rest of that question too. I knew it should be [Fe(H20)5 SCN]2+, but it didn't come out anything like that. I dont know how I managed to make such a mess of what should have been a simple question, but I just couldnt work out what I was doing wrong.

At least I wrote loads for the big question at the end, but it probably wasn't good enough to redeem my pathetic performance in the rest of the exam.

Biochem should have been easy but I somehow didn't read the bit about needed to draw diagrams for the big question, so just wrote descriptions and now I'm screwed. I messed up the diagrams on hydrogen bonding in glucose and cellulose too, cause I was using a smudgy pen, the diagram got all smuged and I had to cross it out and start again in a teeny tiny little space.

Everyone else who sat them thought they were really easy too, so I bet they push the grade boundary up really high like they did with organic chem in january.

I thought those two were my best exams as well. I can't believe I made such a mess of this.

*Dies of shame*

ReputationRep:
    hm, i thought they were both quite hard, this was a reatake for me, as i did it in jan. did biochem as the option,and was pushed for time, and i didnt really like the long question, thought the other ones were okish though, trends and pattrns- nice long q, but again, didnt really think i cud do the 1st q or the ligands v well, grrr, i need an A overall!

ReputationRep:
    Trends and Patters was hard. I mucked up the dot and cross, as I drew MgO as covalent, and SO2 without double bonds. Oh well, that's 6marks down the drain! Bugger! The complex ion question was hard too. I guessed the salt to be [Fe(CN-)6(K+)4] because I didn't have a clue! Evil OCR!

MAD was beautiful. I finished the paper in 30mins and had to twiddle my thumbs for 20mins. The last question was just piss! It was so obvious what the compound was, and they sorta took you through it step by step! Nice!
    Q1 was the hardest question in MAD i think, but I put all about conjugation and long wavelengths being absorbed, so I'm sure thats right!

Lets see what August brings. I'll cry if I don't get an A!

Will the marks tell us what mark we got for each paper, or for both papers together?

ReputationRep:
    think it just shows it as one mark alltogether, thats what i got in jan. was MgO ionic? and how were u supposed 2 draw the So2 one?

ReputationRep:
    just got back in, me and my girlfriend have just done the exam. went quite alritish really. long answer questions were ok and we seemed to agree on most questions. think we got (K4)4+[Fe(CN)]4-. anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    I did Trends and Patterns and the Transition Elements option. Trends and Patterns was a mean paper. Dot and cross diagrams??? I haven't done those for years, why ask something from the first module of AS when you have a whole new trends and patterns syllabus to ask questions about? Ridiculous. Didn't have a clue on the bond angle in sulphur dioxide, put a guess in at 109 degrees though. The colorimetry question was mean, we've done hardly any of that in class, I got 13.6 as the Fe3+ volume and worked out the rest from there. Lattice enthalpy question at the end wasn't too bad. That Iron and potassium complex I put as [Fe(CN)6]4- as the formula for the complex, cos that fit with the 4 K atoms I got in the empirical formula.

Transition elements had a nice first question, the rest was a bit dodgy. 9 marks on isomerism? There's barely 9 marks worth of stuff to write!!!

I'm pretty peed off, I learnt a lot for those exams and very little came up, and the questions werent very nice at all compared to past paper questions.

ReputationRep:
    it was a pretty crap paper really - all a bit random. the long question was nice, as was the long one in methods of analysis and detection. all our papers this year have been weird with random assortments of questions and nothing like what we've had as practise. grr.

ReputationRep:
    So glad im not the only one who thought trends and patterns was utter ****, threw away so many single/double/triple marks it was obscene.

Biochemistry wasn't too bad in my opinion.

Ah well all over now, summer of drunkeness starts tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    Wow, this is what SO2 looks like apparently:

http://wps.prenhall.com/wps/media/ob...05_05-17UN.JPG

Did anyone put that? Looks rather random! I said it was bent, but I put 104.5 degrees like H20 has. Hmmm, T&P = bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ainsworth)
    just got back in, me and my girlfriend have just done the exam. went quite alritish really. long answer questions were ok and we seemed to agree on most questions. think we got (K4)4+[Fe(CN)]4-. anyone else?
    Yeah I put the same, i thought the charges would balance so this would be the answer. But that Trends and Patterns and the MAD exam were hard. I really hope they lower grade boundaries

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThunderCat8)

Did anyone put that, because I said it was bent, but I put 104.5 degrees like H20 has. Hmmm, T&P = bad
    Ouch. 120 degrees crossed my mind cos the was only one lone pair. ah well, at least everyone else found it hard. But come on, dot and cross bonding diagrams on an A2 trends and patterns paper? I know it's supposed to have a synoptic element to it, but 6 marks out of 45 on dot and cross diagrams is ridiculous. Did anyone actually revise them for this exam??? The grade boundaries had better go down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThunderCat8)

Did anyone put that? Looks rather random! I said it was bent, but I put 104.5 degrees like H20 has. Hmmm, T&P = bad
    Thats amazing, i thought it was linear cos of CO2 - thanks for pointing it out (that Ive failed LOL)

ReputationRep:
    nope, didnt hav a clu it looked like that, and where is that on our spec then? im sure we havent looked at so2 bonding ever.

ReputationRep:
    I assumed SO2 would be linear like CO2. Arse.

ReputationRep:
    Where the bloody hell did they get the sodding double bond for SO2 from?! I didn't even know it DID double bonds! There's NOTHING about it in the textbook, and that was all I had because our T&P teacher was so crap (she didn't even notice that the OCR Chemistry 2 book doesn't have anything on the reactions of AlCl3 with water when it says in the syllabus that we're supposed to know it, or if she did she didn't bother to correct it! Oh, and once I put "42" as the answer to a question on a mock and she gave it a mark!)

That paper was eeeeeevil

ReputationRep:
    Woo, got the SO2 Q right but I thought lone pairs repulsed more so the bond angle wouldv'e been less than 120 (as in a normal trigonal planar)?
    For the Fe/Scn Q I got it as [Fe SCN (H20)6], It gave really odd no' but if you took them as a ratio and divided it by the smaller (Fe I think) it came out close enough to 1:1 (but you didn't get any marks for this, only a 1 marker for the formula)
    How did people do on that little question in biochem about how DNA protects itself from damage?

ReputationRep:
    Trends and patterns was straightforward. Nothing hard, really. I put the ligand as [Fe(CN)6 ]3- which i think is right (as the ligand is CN-). Transition elements was straightforward as well, although i forgot the name of the optical isomer -diamine- something or other. The grade boundaries will probably be quite high though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 786)
    Trends and patterns was straightforward. Nothing hard, really. I put the ligand as [Fe(CN)6 ]3- which i think is right (as the ligand is CN-). Transition elements was straightforward as well, although i forgot the name of the optical isomer -diamine- something or other. The grade boundaries will probably be quite high though.
    Didn't they say in the question the Fe was 2+? Cos that would make it [Fe(CN)6]4-.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.