Turn on thread page Beta

OCR Chemistry Trends + Patterns and Option watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 786)
    Trends and patterns was straightforward. Nothing hard, really. I put the ligand as [Fe(CN)6 ]3- which i think is right (as the ligand is CN-). Transition elements was straightforward as well, although i forgot the name of the optical isomer -diamine- something or other. The grade boundaries will probably be quite high though.
    yey i got [Fe(CN)6] too! the last question was a gift.. and the MAD was no too bad although i bloody messed up the last section of that so stupidly.. im so annoyed.. but really it waas ok.. although at the end i felt like turning the paper over and writing down all te complex ion and colours id spent so damn long learning that they didnt ask on.. grr

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 786)
    Trends and patterns was straightforward. Nothing hard, really. I put the ligand as [Fe(CN)6 ]3- which i think is right (as the ligand is CN-). Transition elements was straightforward as well, although i forgot the name of the optical isomer -diamine- something or other. The grade boundaries will probably be quite high though.
    Yeah, and potassium is also in it - 4 potassiums

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by presebjenada)
    i felt like turning the paper over and writing down all te complex ion and colours id spent so damn long learning that they didnt ask on.. grr
    Know EXACTLY how you feel.... a lot of the past papers had way more factual questions where you could answer just using stuff you'd learnt- this was a mean paper.

ReputationRep:
    i think i've done really bad - i need an A in chemistry.

i do'nt know how to feel now that there is not a single thing i can do about it.

i also happened to miss out the last question in transition elements because i just didn't happen to see it. HELP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pumpkinfoodle)

i do'nt know how to feel now that there is not a single thing i can do about it.

i also happened to miss out the last question in transition elements because i just didn't happen to see it. HELP.
    i felt the same when i came out.. really flat..and just immediately started to worry about what i got. there really isnt a thing you can do now (i know saying that doesnt really help) but try and give yourselfa couple of weeks off from worrying about it.. either have a good cry and forget about it for a while or start applying for summers jobs or something.. every one makes mistakes.. read this thread! and see how many people think they also screwed up! if you put in the hours of revision.. im sure itsnot as bad as you think xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by presebjenada)
    yey i got [Fe(CN)6] too! the last question was a gift..

but i dont understand- what happened to the K?? i got empirical formular with K4C6N6 i thinkany1 else??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annaholden)
    but i dont understand- what happened to the K?? i got empirical formular with K4C6N6 i thinkany1 else??
    The complex ion that the person mentioned would have to be 4- charge and then the potasium bonds with it

ReputationRep:
    Lets all hope the ngrade boundaries come down as low as possible, after all these A2's this year for chemistry have been the hardest when ive compared to the past exam papers. Its gotta go down - or im shafted

ReputationRep:
    I did T+P and TE as a resit, and found it pretty much the same as before, the T+P was easy but the transition was hard, and i never have been able to do dot cross diagrams, but i still got my B from last time, and hopefully i'll still get n A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pumpkinfoodle)

WHAT QUESTION? :confused: i think i may have missed that too...

ReputationRep:
    t+p bit tricky
    formula guess- (Fe (KCN)4(CN)2) - only 1 mark
    anyone do cosmology yesterday? OCR making exam more hard cos they are getting rep as **** exam board? why didnt u decide to make harder next year? *****es.
    finished my exams and got really pissed - too pissed
    just waking up
    i think my kidneys are dead
    creed are the best band in the world
    biochem- why DNA Conserved for long time ?
    i put strong Hbond etc describe Dna and 2x strand and all bonding between bases - what did they want?
    I found that i u did no revision you could still do it
    so why did i do so much ****in revision?
    i cheated on biochem as well-
    when we had to circle those 2 groups that nucleotide could attach to i wrote it wrong first- then just 1min from end the guy sitting next to me was checkin his answers and it was a big diagram and when i looked left i saw it then chenged mine- easy 2 marks
    rest pretty easier - but strange how this is harder than jan 2004
    i thought they make it weasier in june?
    i also put down So2 as 180 degrees
    cos NH3 is 120 degrees- easy mistake ppl
    its 3 marks so just make sure you say O2 has 2 lone pair
    and something about So2 and lp lp repulsion
    whats the reaction for So2 and h2o?
    i put
    H20 and SO2 ----> H2 So4 + H2

now exams are over so now great except i wish we did get our marks sooner
    now i can bodybuild all day
    gave up training for a month for these ***** exams
    even if i dont get my 3 a's and dont get into uni for med i still got that
    mr universe(ity) compettion to prepare for!
    if you wondering y i dontr just shut up now
    its cos i still got some whiskey in me
    evil liquids! they take away my strength!
    and reduce me liek a carbonate

quote Hall and Oates " smoking guns ..hot to the touch...would cool down if we didnt use them so much"

just had to throw a random quote
    ok i need to post this b4 this post dies
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    T+P :confused:
    biochem
    physics :eek:
    biology :cool:

ReputationRep:
    after lookin at past papers i thought this exam would be pips if you did a bit of revision.... what a paper :confused: it was soo hard!! so many bloody calculations specially colorimeter ques. i do oCR BIO too and found that hard too when normally i do ok in exams. theyve made them so hard this year spec sciences so not every1 gets the A's for uni so places not oversuscribed. its so unfair. i agree that other boards are more easy. ocr just fiddle with grades or make the exams intolerable. Piss :confused:

ReputationRep:
    made stupid mistakes everywer im sure. got like 1001 lol for the mole ratio ha!!!! there were a few good bits here and there and im hoping i didnt drop too many marks. thing is, i cant tell how ive done cz all i think about is how iv finished :s i hope it was good.

omg the essay question on trendy patterns!!!!! got it right in the end but i got sooo confused with the higher lattice enthalpy with smaller cation and lower decomp temp with small cation i went back and forth about 3 times LITERALLY writing about half a page, realising i was contradicting myself, crossing it all out doing the other arguement, thinking it was wrong again, crossing it out, going back to the first one omg i thought my head was gna explode!!!! lol luckily i got there in the end but still!!!!

oh my dear pumpkinfoodle worry not u r miss chemist u will kick ass at imperial and ur going to do mad shopping in HK so yay!

if i dont get an A in chem i am screwed.

ReputationRep:
    same. if i dont get an A i can safely wave uni goodbye. what a waste of time and energy. ohhhhhhhhhhhh crap. how r we sposed to have fun for next seven weeks with this crap lingering. imagine havin so much fun till 19/8 then get results and spend the rest of the holiday sulking over mixed grades. what ****!!!

ReputationRep:
    btw u know the colorimeter question, dont u just read off the volume of whatever where theres the highest absorbance. i need to check this coz if ive done it wrong im screwed!!!!thanx guys

ReputationRep:
    You gotta draw lines on the graph to find the highest absorption. It's hard to explain, but u miss out the very top point, and draw a line from the first point to the point before the highest point, making the line really high. Then you draw a line from the last point to the point after the highest point, so that it crosses the first line. The point they cross is the highest absorption.

I got 13.25 for that point. Hmmm...dodgy

ReputationRep:
    Guess I'm in the minority. I actually found T&P ok, I got stressed in it at one point because I couldn't remember how to do a calculation but left it out and when I went back to it at the end I could do it luckily. I was a bit put off by those dot and cross diagrams but *somehow* I managed to remember what to do lol.

Transition elements was my 'option' one. That went fine too, I couldn't do a couple of "suggest.." questions but they weren't worth many marks.

Hopefully these have made up for my absolute **** up of unifying concepts!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThunderCat8)
    You gotta draw lines on the graph to find the highest absorption. It's hard to explain, but u miss out the very top point, and draw a line from the first point to the point before the highest point, making the line really high. Then you draw a line from the last point to the point after the highest point, so that it crosses the first line. The point they cross is the highest absorption.
    What the crap? That wasn't in my text book (cambridge advanced sciences) or the revision guide I bought, or the different revision guide my friend bought, and we didn't do any like that in class. All the examples I've seen have been straight diagonal lines. That would explain why I couldn't do that question then.

Ok maybe it's not too much of a stretch of the imagination and I should have figured it out, but still. Annoyed.

That's 2 marks I lost for the graph, 3 for the subsequent screwing up of the rest of that question, probably the 5 for the dot and cross, plus 3 for some other thing I remember not knowing. That's an absolute minimum of 13 marks lost already, plus any other arse ups that may have accidentally occured.

Think it may be time to give up on the idea of uni and resort to life as a professional criminal. Steeling exam papers maybe.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I get what Thundercat8 means - The OCR Advanced Sciences textbook says that for colourimetry the graph normally levels off, but this one went up and down which was a bit crappy - but it said in the question it wanted you to Estimate the amounts at the highest absorbance. It was a straight line graph, like a peak, so if you extend the two lines where they cross is the highest absorbance. Then I subtracted the iron volume at that point from 20 to get the volume of the CN ligand solution.

That textbook is a bit rubbish anyhow - you were s'posed to know the reactions for aluminium chloride with water as stated in the syllabus and the textbook was quite emphatic that you only needed to know the chlorides of sodium, magnesium, silicon and phosphorus!

ReputationRep:
    Thankfully we had a really good teacher for T&P, so she told us about the colourimetry questions with the graph that goes up and down. It doesn't explain it very well in the book, so when we all did a past paper in class, she taught us exactly what to do in those questions. The book is rubbish, really really rubbish. They all are, the Physics ones, the Biology ones etc. They're too indepth, and not concise enough. It would be nice to have more bullet points etc, but they just waffle on for page after page about total crap.

Many times I've been doing a past paper and a question comes up for which there is no answer in the OCR text book. Very annoying indeed.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.