Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have to choose my A-Levels for first submission tomorrow. I am an all-rounder, so I am blessed to be able to choose according to personal preference. I am horrendously indecisive, so I was wondering if some kind soul could give me a little feedback on my A-Level choices and answer a few questions.
    I can change these if necessary, however for now I have chosen:
    - English Literature
    - Mathematics
    - Religious Studies
    - Chemistry

Q1. I will be studying each subject under CCEA exam board. Does anyone have experience of studying these subjects under this board, and how have you found them?

Q2. Is the above a good combination of A-Levels?

Q.3 Will the workload be overwhelming or if I work hard will it be manageable? - I'm a pretty hard worker, aiming for all A* in my GCSEs and I've already achieved all A* in the modules and CA tasks up to now with full marks in most.

Q.4 What sort of university courses will this allow me to study? I have a slight preference for humanities over stem subjects, but I wouldn't mind a course that was somewhere in between or incorporated elements of both.

Q.5 Would I be better studying Religion or History? I would get a lot of help with religion, and I enjoy it more than history. However, I really like history too, but I feel like there would be much more learning involved with it, particularly when I consider my other choices.

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    I can answer Q.5

History is very time-consuming and difficult - the other three of your choices are very heavy subjects, so don't take History. Besides, if you are going to enjoy it more, there is no reason to take History.

Grades (which come relatively easily with enjoyment) are more important than the difficulty/reputation of the subject IMO - of course, this doesn't extend to soft subjects such as business, media studies, ICT, but is is relevant to most of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popcornjpg)
    I can answer Q.5

History is very time-consuming and difficult - the other three of your choices are very heavy subjects, so don't take History. Besides, if you are going to enjoy it more, there is no reason to take History.

Grades (which come relatively easily with enjoyment) are more important than the difficulty/reputation of the subject IMO - of course, this doesn't extend to soft subjects such as business, media studies, ICT, but is is relevant to most of them.
    That's what I had heard also, hence why I thought religion would be a more sensible choice. The reason I asked was because I was told that to take History was more valued by universities as opposed to Religious Studies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akrapovic)
    That's what I had heard also, hence why I thought religion would be a more sensible choice. The reason I asked was because I was told that to take History was more valued by universities as opposed to Religious Studies.
    You have Maths, Chemistry and English Lit. 3 facilitating subjects that are also very difficult. You could take something much easier than RS and be fine - RS is a fine choice though, go for it.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.