Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of joining the raf as a pilot, it is the only thing that's has ever stood out to me as a career, I am in my first year of sixth form and I'm doing BTEC sport science, I chose this because I had no u plea what I wanted to do when I started so I did it because I thought I would enjoy it, which I do, I wasn't planning on going to uni again because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do.

So my question is have I ruined my chances? Because I will be going in against people with A* in maths and a degree from UNI? I did decent in my GCSEs. I will have the correct requirements but does that not mean anything at the end of it?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theguy18)
    I'm thinking of joining the raf as a pilot, it is the only thing that's has ever stood out to me as a career, I am in my first year of sixth form and I'm doing BTEC sport science, I chose this because I had no u plea what I wanted to do when I started so I did it because I thought I would enjoy it, which I do, I wasn't planning on going to uni again because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do.

So my question is have I ruined my chances? Because I will be going in against people with A* in maths and a degree from UNI? I did decent in my GCSEs. I will have the correct requirements but does that not mean anything at the end of it?
    You have the correct / minimum requirements, but they're just that, minimum requirements. As you say, you'd be competing for selection with people who have more than that.

On the surface, that doesn't really matter, but you do need something that will make you stand out. Could be anything, could be a long history of volunteering, could be exceptional service in the ATC, many positions of leadership throughout school...etc. But you do need something.

By far the better option is to rethink your A levels and try university - if nothing else it gives you a realistic plan b.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    You have the correct / minimum requirements, but they're just that, minimum requirements. As you say, you'd be competing for selection with people who have more than that.

On the surface, that doesn't really matter, but you do need something that will make you stand out. Could be anything, could be a long history of volunteering, could be exceptional service in the ATC, many positions of leadership throughout school...etc. But you do need something.

By far the better option is to rethink your A levels and try university - if nothing else it gives you a realistic plan b.
    Drewski, Can i ask what you did in the RAF? you seem to know a lot about it, could do with your help!

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks! I've done quite a it of voluntary work and I heard a gliders license is something that stands out to them, is this true?

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks! I've done quite a it of voluntary work and I heard a gliders license is something that stands out to them, is this true?
    Yes and no.

Yes, it shows you have put time into flying, that you've got some skills, that you can learn and follow instructions.
    No, a lot of other people all have the same kind of thing.

ReputationRep:

Hi, I have flown solo on gliders through a cadet scheme in a non-military club; and can say pretty much anyone could do it (some quicker than others) so no real reason it would make you better than any other candidates. But it does involve teamwork and good communication and the multitasking/coordination involved probably would help with parts of flying or FATs. So if it's another thing you can say you've done then good, but I doubt it would stand out enough to get you the job alone.

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    Theguy18

The standard of candidate passing selection for all Officer/DE-SNCO roles in the RAF is high, and competitive. Particularly in flying roles, I would advise you consider going to University on completing Sixth Form. It gives you a chance to grow, get involved in teams, perhaps experience leaderships roles and prepare you for OASC/IOT and a future career in the RAF.

You can of course apply straight out of Sixth Form, many Pilots are recruited young however you need to be a candidate of high caliber in all areas to be successful.

Regards,
    AT

ReputationRep:
    Ok thank you for all the messages they have been helpful! Just one more question thou! I love the idea of flying so I have been looking at a WSOp as well is there any chance of starting in that role and then transfer to be a pilot later? I have seen that it is possible but it's hard? Is that true and is it worth it?

ReputationRep:
    Ok thank you for all the messages they have been helpful! Just one more question thou! I love the idea of flying so I have been looking at a WSOp as well is there any chance of starting in that role and then transfer to be a pilot later? I have seen that it is possible but it's hard? Is that true and is it worth it?

I don't think that would sound too good if you mentioned that in your oral board at Cranwell.

I'm not in the RAF, so I can't answer for definite, however I would say its highly unlikely.

Don't go for a job merely to use it as a stepping stone.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.