Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm currently in year 12 and hoping to go on to study economics at university. Grades wise, I'm doing okay so far. I should be getting this at AS:
    Economics: A
    Business: A
    Maths: B
    PE: B
    Whilst this is good, I feel like I'll struggle to get into any respected unis due to having so little to put on my personal statement. I have no work experience, no volunteering, honestly I have no intention on doing so, I'm admittedly lazy, especially when the work I'd be doing doesn't involve money (if it involves money I'm insanely driven). I honestly just want to focus on getting my grades but I'm worried my personal statement will be ridiculously poor. I have performed at high level in sport and won a national championship in it, but in terms of work, I have nothing.
    I have three main questions;
    Is having good grades and performing sport at a high level enough?
    And if it isnt, what do you recommend I do to boost my PS?
    Finally... Why do universities care so much about personal statements? Surely the fact I'm likely gonna get straight As at A level (I got Bs and Cs at GCSE) is more impressive than getting something as easily attained as dofe gold? I'll just never understand, but please someone enlighten me! I'm sure there's a good reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luiswright31)
    Hi, I'm currently in year 12 and hoping to go on to study economics at university. Grades wise, I'm doing okay so far. I should be getting this at AS:
    Economics: A
    Business: A
    Maths: B
    PE: B
    Whilst this is good, I feel like I'll struggle to get into any respected unis due to having so little to put on my personal statement. I have no work experience, no volunteering, honestly I have no intention on doing so, I'm admittedly lazy, especially when the work I'd be doing doesn't involve money (if it involves money I'm insanely driven). I honestly just want to focus on getting my grades but I'm worried my personal statement will be ridiculously poor. I have performed at high level in sport and won a national championship in it, but in terms of work, I have nothing.
    I have three main questions;
    Is having good grades and performing sport at a high level enough?
    And if it isnt, what do you recommend I do to boost my PS?
    Finally... Why do universities care so much about personal statements? Surely the fact I'm likely gonna get straight As at A level (I got Bs and Cs at GCSE) is more impressive than getting something as easily attained as dofe gold? I'll just never understand, but please someone enlighten me! I'm sure there's a good reason.
    I was in the same position as you at this point last year as well! However, as the personal statement does form an important part of your application, and especially considering that you're applying for a very oversubscribed course, it is important that you nail it! Showing evidence of extra reading is a must, so have a look on amazon or in your local library at books that interest you, or articles from university lecturers online. Also, you could have a look at good universities near you to see whether they have any external lectures that you could attend to prove that you have a passion for economics. In terms of relevant work experience, it's not completely necessary, but if you could try and arrange something in the financial sector, eg: working in a bank, accountancy etc, it wouldn't harm your application. I put these 3 things down on my personal statement combined with national level sporting achievement and I did fine with offers. Hopefully that's helped you!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Some good advice above. Just to address a few other points:
    Economics is an academic subjects so an academic interest in the subject and evidence of it is better than work experience.
    Mist people applying to good unis will meet or exceed the entry requirements so you need to differentiate yourself from everyone else and the PS is the best way to do this.
    Different unis view PSs differently but it's still a apart of your application package so make it the best it can possibly be.
    Don't place too much emphasis on extra curriculars. Focus on the relevant transferable skills instead. Winning a sport championship doesn't mean you'll be a good economics student.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.