The Student Room Group

4 weeks before exams start!!!

(Aimed at people who have done their GCSES)
Admittedly, I've left revising fairly late due to coursework deadlines. Consequently, I haven't studied much and its 4 weeks until my exams. All my predicted grades are either A*/A (6A* and 6A), however i'm not sure if i'm able to attain that due to my lack of revision. I want to attain as many A* Grades as possible so I can get into a top university. Do you know any effective methods of time management that could help me cram as much revision in as possible? Do you have a good method that helped you revise for your language exams? ( German/ French/Spanish) And how did you revise for your English Literature Poetry Exams?
Thanks for taking the time to read this. Any help is greatly appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump
I am feeling exactly the same way!
Mostly good predicteds... I am stressed:frown:
Original post by BanterSmith
I want to attain as many A* Grades as possible so I can get into a top university.

I rage every time I read something like this.

GCSE's amount for so little it's not even funny. There are substantial numbers of people who get into Cambridge with 0 A*'s! 0!

The only grades that matter at GCSE are C's in Maths and English.
Reply 4
i did practically 0 revision apart from last minute cramming and ended up with 2 As 6Bs and a C which for me was pretty good considering. Don't stress about GCSEs, they really arent' as important as you think! That being said, learning how to revise IS important and it's something I missed out on meaning i'm struggling with productive revision for my a levels. :-)
Admittedly, I've left revising fairly late due to coursework deadlines. Consequently, I haven't studied much and its 4 weeks until my exams. All my predicted grades are either A*/A (6A* and 6A), however i'm not sure if i'm able to attain that due to my lack of revision. I want to attain as many A* Grades as possible so I can get into a top university. Do you know any effective methods of time management that could help me cram as much revision in as possible? Do you have a good method that helped you revise for your language exams? ( German/ French/Spanish) And how did you revise for your English Literature Poetry Exams?
Thanks for taking the time to read this. Any help is greatly appreciated :smile:

Alright. For language exams...use quizlet. Just try and learn as much vocab from your specification as possible. And for heaven's sake, do as many past papers as you can. Do them all. And enjoy it.

For poetry exams...again, just do practise questions. The more you practise analysing, the better you'll get at it.

I'm stressing too! I've made so many q and a flashcards but I'm unsure if I have enough time to learn them now. Honestly, my mum always told me this year was going to go quickly and she was right. Mother knows best I guess.

I'm predicted 3 A*s and 8 As but it's more like 8 As and 3 Bs.

I did around 40 hours of solid revision during the Easter, but that was revising for last weeks mocks and making flashcards.
For me it's 2 weeks - darn geography and drama!
I'm really stressing about geography,it just can't seem to remember the case studies and in lesson we've done zero work on any other paper except paper 1 (and thats from the start of year10, so i literally mean zero)
My first exam is next monday :redface:

Spoiler

Original post by Abstract_Prism
I rage every time I read something like this.

GCSE's amount for so little it's not even funny. There are substantial numbers of people who get into Cambridge with 0 A*'s! 0!

The only grades that matter at GCSE are C's in Maths and English.

I don't think that is necessarily true because I went on an Oxford taster day just over a year ago and they were saying to our group that you need 5 A*'s preferably 7 to really be considered so I think that the GCSE's really do matter.

I am also hoping to go to a top university and am really stressed out for English literature- I'm just not sure how to revise or what I need to remember.
Original post by heatherjs
I don't think that is necessarily true because I went on an Oxford taster day just over a year ago and they were saying to our group that you need 5 A*'s preferably 7 to really be considered so I think that the GCSE's really do matter.

I am also hoping to go to a top university and am really stressed out for English literature- I'm just not sure how to revise or what I need to remember.

English is my top subject if you want to message me for any help? :smile:
Reply 11
Bump
My first exam is next Tuesday...
In literature for each poem I'd make a structure that looks like this:

LANGUAGE
Quote - devices used/interpretation

STRUCTURE
Point - Rhyme Scheme - interpretation
Metre used - interpretation
Any other structure device you'll remember

FORM
Form device - Interpretation

Remember three things for each one that you can remember, obviously in the exam you won't use all of them but its just so you'll have something to say for any question you're given.
I got an A at GCSE in the poetry exam and A/B's throughout AS with poetry so I'm guessing it works, but that might just be me :biggrin:

Hope this helps!
What did you study for English lit? And how did you prepare for it? Also what structure did you follow for the actual writing of the answer? Sorry for the many questions :smile:
Original post by harrietbh12
English is my top subject if you want to message me for any help? :smile:
All my predicted grades are either A*/A (6A* and 6A), however i'm not sure if i'm able to attain that due to my lack of revision.

I got a B in geography entirely off the back of night before revision. If you're not thick you probably don't need to do as much work as you think. I found GCSE difficulty to be hugely over-hyped

Spoiler

Original post by harrietbh12
For me it's 2 weeks - darn geography and drama!
I'm really stressing about geography,it just can't seem to remember the case studies and in lesson we've done zero work on any other paper except paper 1 (and thats from the start of year10, so i literally mean zero)

Omg I've got my drama on Thursday! I so get you. Geography is hard but I find flashcards help. For each unit write down the necessary facts for each case study and just keep reading them till you remember :smile: Do lots and lots of papers that you most probably find on your boards website. Good luck :smile:
Original post by surina16
My first exam is next monday :redface:

Spoiler

what is the exam on the monday? :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by luald4
i did practically 0 revision apart from last minute cramming and ended up with 2 As 6Bs and a C which for me was pretty good considering. Don't stress about GCSEs, they really arent' as important as you think! That being said, learning how to revise IS important and it's something I missed out on meaning i'm struggling with productive revision for my a levels. :-)

Exactly whats happening with me with my As right now.
GCSEs was all cram this is discipline lol

don't get me wrong , but your better off putting this effort when you start your A-Levels(including GCSE Maths, english, and any other subject your intreasted in), (assuming you start a-levels at 2017). Ive even heard that from 2017 students take all of the a-level at the end of 2-years

Quick Reply

Latest