The Student Room Group

Has anyone else lost interest in A-levels?

In the past few months I couldn't careless if I failed my exams this year and it's freaking me out. Compared to what I was like in September, it's quite a big contrast. I have no interest in going to sixth form, doing homework or revising. I try but after 20 minutes I just can't focus or make my eyes stay on the page.

It's gotten to the point where I think I should just quit now because I honestly don't think I'll even bother with half my exams.

I actually love learning and going to class, but outside the classroom I'm not bothered. Just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I haven't lost interest, I know if I fail a road of horrible self-esteem, horrible deep sadness, feelings of HUGE disappointment await me. But I'm SO tired, like I've become so mentally exhausted. Coursework deadlines have caused me huge stress over the past month and I honestly am sick of 6th form at this point. The anxiety levels are too high. It my fault though, I should be better prepared and have handed drafts in on time, but there comes a point where you just get so exhausted of everything that you stop caring. I hit that point with my draft deadlines...now I'm paying for it tbh.

Also when I say I'm stress I mean I'm so ridiculously stressed that I have developed a rash on my arm and I have scratched it so much blood is quite literally pouring out of my arm at present :redface:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
I feel the exact same way!! I feel like staying at find most of the time because u hate that environment. I literally feel like I'm guaranteed to fail (or at least do pretty badly)
I've contemplated just giving up but that's not really an option.

I wish I Could offer you helpful advice but I'm literally in a similar situation to you. It sucks
I feel the exact same way with my subjects. We've finished all course content so I've just lost interest in all of my subjects. What gets me going is this: "These 2 years will create potentially 50 years of excellent opportunities so it's worth sacrificing 2 years to stress and being tired, and then having excellent results to help you find work/uni for potentially 50 years or more".
For different reasons but yes. I find two of my courses fairly dull and boring for the most part. One is just dull and I have no real interested in, the other is just too bare boned for me, just looking at the surface and not getting stuck in to the detail, and it's putting me off a lot because of that. My other subject I am interested in, but it is pure theory this year, and while it started off really exciting it has gotten to the bit where we are dragging up dregs just to have enough content really.

I really want to get to uni and just start delving into what the last subject I talked about has to offer, and get reading all the books I would have to read and looking at all the issues and theories in more detail and putting them under the microscope, but I know to do that I have to pass what are fastly becoming three subjects that at least at a level standards are starting to really bore me.
I remember so many people feeling like this last year- me included to some extent- you just have to focus on the end goal and remember that it's not too long until you're free from them once and for all!
Reply 6
I feel this way too :frown:

I just have no motivation at all. It takes me around an hour to cover one topic, so it's extremeley frustrating. I desperately want to go to university, but even that isn't motivating me :frown: I feel like I waste days because I get next to nothing done. Then I forget everything too, so weeks are wasted. I'm going to fail all of my exams, I know it.
ive gone in reverse, at the beginning of the year after my first test results and despite normally being at the top end always getting A's and B's suddenly getting E's and U's put me into... well pretty much a sad person who believed they can't do anything. it's getting nearer to my AS exams now and im realising if i can get an A in maths my favourite and a B in two other sciences then im on the road to uni.... although right now the only thing that isn't motivating me ten times more than i am is the fact that im either gonna get all A's and B's or an A and everything else D's which means that i wont get into uni and i can't do anything else in life so maths is the only thing i can cling onto, that fails me then there's nothing i can do apart from waste my life on benefits on scummy council estates where your chances of being mugged are ridiculous. i know i can retake AS's if i fail but it won't make any difference as time won't fix anything, i can have as much as i want and still do awful in my exams. but jeez some of the work in all three sciences are crazy hard!
Reply 8
Guys come on! You've come this far into the year already, so just hold on tight, this term will fly by! :flybye:

If you find you can't do revision and can't focus properly, take the day off.
Seriously, I felt this way for awhile too and you need to give yourself a break is just what you need to refresh and revitalise. (sounds like an advert ... :redface:)

After that, just keep on going! At a slower pace than before so you don't drain yourself out before exams. :colondollar:

Good Luck everyone :kiss:
Reply 9
Original post by aamirac
Guys come on! You've come this far into the year already, so just hold on tight, this term will fly by! :flybye:

If you find you can't do revision and can't focus properly, take the day off.
Seriously, I felt this way for awhile too and you need to give yourself a break is just what you need to refresh and revitalise. (sounds like an advert ... :redface:)

After that, just keep on going! At a slower pace than before so you don't drain yourself out before exams. :colondollar:

Good Luck everyone :kiss:

I'm eating Mushroom and Cream Soup. It has croutons.
I've improved on my glorious GCSE work ethic, but that's not particularly difficult as I did no work at GCSE. I've noticed a lot of people in my year saying they've done no revision, which is weird when compared to GCSEs last year lots of people were doing hours upon hours and getting themselves quite worked up.
hi
I don't feel as motivated as I used to be, in particular compared to last year doing AS. However I think this may also be more to do with the fact that I don't know what I'm doing/where I'm going after college has finished so I'm a bit lost.
Yup
Reply 14
Lol, yes.

Original post by Student403
Yup

Hahaha, no revision? :five:
Original post by Ayman!
Lol, yes.

Hahaha, no revision? :five:

Indeed ;_; senioritis is scary and very real
Wake up and give your head a wobble :smile: especially if you're in year 13.
Reply 17
Original post by Student403
Indeed ;_; senioritis is scary and very real

I've also suddenly contracted this "I couldn't give a rat's arse" attitude. Looking for a way to beat it. ;-; We've got M3 in less than a month!
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I haven't lost interest, I know if I fail a road of horrible self-esteem, horrible deep sadness, feelings of HUGE disappointment await me. But I'm SO tired, like I've become so mentally exhausted. Coursework deadlines have caused me huge stress over the past month and I honestly am sick of 6th form at this point. The anxiety levels are too high. It my fault though, I should be better prepared and have handed drafts in on time, but there comes a point where you just get so exhausted of everything that you stop caring. I hit that point with my draft deadlines...now I'm paying for it tbh.

Also when I say I'm stress I mean I'm so ridiculously stressed that I have developed a rash on my arm and I have scratched it so much blood is quite literally pouring out of my arm at present :redface:

:hugs:
Original post by Ayman!
I've also suddenly contracted this "I couldn't give a rat's arse" attitude. Looking for a way to beat it. ;-; We've got M3 in less than a month!

That sounded very Zain-y :colone: Ikr!? I've got my German in just over 2 weeks lol

At this point I feel like I'm trying to do well to repay my teachers who wrote my recommendations :rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest