The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Queen Mary University of London
Hi! My name is Will and I have completed three years as an undergraduate medical student at QMUL's medical school, Barts and The London. I am now taking a year break from Medicine as I study for an intercalated BSc in Global Public Health at QMUL.

This thread is your opportunity to ask a current Barts student (me) about either the undergraduate or postgraduate courses at QMUL. Feel free to ask me about any aspect of the Medicine course including the curriculum, teaching methods and locations, clinical teaching or extra-curricular activities like sports teams and academic societies. I can also give you the latest on either of our medical school campuses including accommodation and facilities.

Barts love,
Will

Hi Will,

I really neeed some advice from you.
I'm not sure whether to apply to queen Mary or not.
I got 8A* 3A and 4As at AS and I am predicted 4A*s but I got 617.5 for my ukcat which is very low.
Do you think I will get an interview??

Please help,
Mina
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 581
Hi Will

what UKCAT Score would queen mary require I know tey have 50 percent weighting, but is 650 its above average by 15 points
Hi there, I appreciate you getting in touch!

First of all, it's great to hear that you like Barts. From what you've said, especially with regards to the amount of volunteering you've done, it seems as though you are really passionate about studying Medicine.

The reality is that Barts has become more competitive in recent years and as a result, the UKCAT scores of applicants has also increased. This new entry requirements state that you must score in the top 3 deciles of UKCAT scores in order to receive an interview. With this in mind and assuming you are set on applying to Barts, you have two options.

Option 1. Apply to Barts as one of your options in the coming application cycle. Cross your fingers and hope for an interview!

Option 2: Retake the UKCAT next year and hope you score more. I imagine people do better second time around. Also, you'll have a whole year to practice.

Good luck! Let me know what you decide to do and I can advise you further.

Barts love,
Will

Hi Will,

I just wanted to know if queen mary accept people that reapply for the uni. My predictions are average A*AB and my UKCAT is 692. I wanted to know if you can reapply just in case I don't get in first time because I do want to study medicine at Queen Mary
Hi holly really keen on getting into Maxfax for Barts but I have a 2;2 before my dentistry degree do u have any tips on how I can make my application stand out Thanks Alia 😀
Original post by Rollvert
Hello there,

I would like to ask how a UCAS Tarrif is calculated by the university for application in regards to an international applicant? Thankyou in advance!

Hi there, thanks for getting in touch!

On the UCAS website, it is possible to calculate your UCAS tariff based on international qualifications. This includes the IB. You can find that here: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/tariff-calculator.

The entry requirements for international students can be found in the full admissions policy document here: http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/media/smd/documents/admissions-policy.pdf

Let me know if you've got any other questions!

Barts love,
Will
Original post by Linalolo
Hi Will,
I am predicted AAA in bio chem and maths.. I did the Irish version of GCSE and got 5 A's 4 B's.. (no A* and only one science which includes bio chem and physics together - I got A in science and A in english and B in maths). I got UKCAT 2600 (650), band 2.. I have a pretty good personal statement. Realistically, is it worth applying to Queen Mary or not?

Hi there, thanks for your question.

Your results and UKCAT are all within the entry requirements. Therefore, there is no reason why you wouldn't be offered an interview. Obviously, it is impossible to say for sure but you should apply wherever you feel you would be happiest!

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Barts love,
Will
Original post by As That
Have Barts changed their entry requirement for graduate-entry medicine? If I remember correctly, they required a 2:1 + UKCAT last year, but not A Levels. Do they require A levels, in addition to degree and UKCAT, this year?

Hi there, thanks for the question.

I can't remember what the entry requirements were previously for graduate entrants. However, here's what the current entry requirements say about GEP medicine and A-levels:

All degrees, regardless of degree title, must be supported by two science AS or A level at grades BB or above, including Biology or Chemistry. Accepted science subjects are Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, and Psychology. You may apply with achieved or predicted grades.

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if you've got any other queries.

Barts love,
Will
Original post by Minawembly
Hi Will,

I really neeed some advice from you.
I'm not sure whether to apply to queen Mary or not.
I got 8A* 3A and 4As at AS and I am predicted 4A*s but I got 617.5 for my ukcat which is very low.
Do you think I will get an interview??

Please help,
Mina

Hi there, thanks for getting in touch.

You've got some great GCSEs and A-level predictions! Your UKCAT is still above the 3rd decile which is the specification in the new entry requirements. Therefore, you've certainly got a chance.

Let me know if you've got any other questions about life at Barts.

Barts love,
Will
Original post by N shah
Hi Will

what UKCAT Score would queen mary require I know tey have 50 percent weighting, but is 650 its above average by 15 points

Hi there,

The new entry requirements for undergraduate Medicine state that the UKCAT score must be above the third decile. As of 8th September, this currently stands at 620. You can find the latest UKCAT report here:
https://www.ukcat.ac.uk/media/1192/2017-preliminary-mean-scores-sept-2017.pdf

Let me know if you've got any other questions!

Barts love,
Will
Original post by suttinan
Hi Will,

I just wanted to know if queen mary accept people that reapply for the uni. My predictions are average A*AB and my UKCAT is 692. I wanted to know if you can reapply just in case I don't get in first time because I do want to study medicine at Queen Mary

Hi there, I'm glad to hear you want to study at Barts!

Here is the line from the admissions policy:

Barts and The London does not consider any applications from students who are re-sitting their AS or A Level year.

However, it is possible to apply for extenuating circumstances in some cases. You can read the full policy here: http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/a100/

Best of luck with your exams.

Barts love,
Will
Hi Will, I’m an international applicant applying to Barts for 2018 entry. I’ve got 10A*s for my IGCSE but a really low UKCAT score of 2490 (average 622.5) and STJ band 1. Does QMUL rank international applicants according to their UKCAT score when it comes to selecting them for the interview?
Hi Will!

Does BARTS give you the opportunity to pursue hobbies outside of medicine? Orchestra or Band? I play instruments and am involved in the orchestra and school and don't want to give it up if i can help it
Original post by penne pasta
Hi Will, I’m an international applicant applying to Barts for 2018 entry. I’ve got 10A*s for my IGCSE but a really low UKCAT score of 2490 (average 622.5) and STJ band 1. Does QMUL rank international applicants according to their UKCAT score when it comes to selecting them for the interview?

Hi there, thanks for getting in touch.

First of all, congratulations on great grades!

Barts rank students based on 50:50 weighting of your academic ability (UCAS score) and UKCAT. You can work out your UCAS score here: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/tariff-calculator

The full entry requirements for undergraduate entry can be found here: http://www.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/coursefinder/courses/80040.html

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Barts love,
Will
Original post by Milky_Way
Hi Will!

Does BARTS give you the opportunity to pursue hobbies outside of medicine? Orchestra or Band? I play instruments and am involved in the orchestra and school and don't want to give it up if i can help it

Hi, great question, thanks for getting in touch.

Absolutely! You will definitely have enough free time as a medical student to continue playing an instrument - I do, anyway!

You can find a list of the arts, music & performance societies at Barts here: https://www.qmsu.org/societies/findbl/

Let me know if you've got any other questions.

Barts love,
Will
Hi Will,

hiya, I just wanted to let you know I reapplied for qmul A100 and got in the second time round. They don't accept A-level resits but I think you have a chance if you didn't get an interview at qmul during your first application (because that has been the case for me). however, I think would be good if you asked the admissions office directly just to be sure.
hi will!
what is the best subjects to take for a levels to do dentistry
can you please give me a few options please
cause ik u have to do bio chem but what third one, please list a few!
thanks

Hi! My name is Will and I have completed three years as an undergraduate medical student at QMUL's medical school, Barts and The London. I am now taking a year break from Medicine as I study for an intercalated BSc in Global Public Health at QMUL.

This thread is your opportunity to ask a current Barts student (me) about either the undergraduate or postgraduate courses at QMUL. Feel free to ask me about any aspect of the Medicine course including the curriculum, teaching methods and locations, clinical teaching or extra-curricular activities like sports teams and academic societies. I can also give you the latest on either of our medical school campuses including accommodation and facilities.

Barts love,
Will
Thats good to hear but when did you apply last year??
Original post by weird nerd
hiya, I just wanted to let you know I reapplied for qmul A100 and got in the second time round. They don't accept A-level resits but I think you have a chance if you didn't get an interview at qmul during your first application (because that has been the case for me). however, I think would be good if you asked the admissions office directly just to be sure.
Original post by unillama
hi will!
what is the best subjects to take for a levels to do dentistry
can you please give me a few options please
cause ik u have to do bio chem but what third one, please list a few!
thanks

Hi there, thanks for getting in touch!

The official line from the admission department for exams taken in 2017 or later is the following:

Minimum entry from 2017: 3 A levels at AAA
- Chemistry or Biology
- Another Science or Maths (Chemistry, Biology, Physics, or Maths)
- Any A level except Critical Thinking or General Studies, or Further Maths if Maths is taken too

For more information regarding the course and entry requirements for Dentistry, follow this link: http://www.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/coursefinder/courses/80113.html

Hopefully this helps you make up your mind. If you're going to do Biology and Chemistry, then just chose another which you enjoy or think you will do well in.

Let me know if you've got any other questions.

Barts,
Will
Thats good to hear but when did you apply last year??

I am not sure what you mean. I applied in October last year for 2017 entry.
Original post by weird nerd
I am not sure what you mean. I applied in October last year for 2017 entry.

Thats fine then thank you.

Latest

Trending

Trending