Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it bad if I see a different GP every time? Watch

I'm seeing a GP every 1-2 weeks with some ongoing issues, but the place I go to is really unpredictable with who and when I'll be able to get an appointment for, so I end up seeing someone different every time.

Is this bad or will it make no difference?

ReputationRep:
    It's not bad and can be the case for a lot of people. It really depends on how you feel about it. There shouldn't be any technical problems however as all the GPs will be making notes where necessary on your patient file.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't make a difference unless you have preference for who you see, in which case you'll have to wait longer to always see them specifically.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I have to do this as well as my preferred GP is only in part time now and its nearly impossible to get an appointment with her. As long as you get on OK with each GP you see and feel comfortable with them and you feel they are doing their job efficiently then there is no problem in seeing different GP. We all do have one we prefer though but its not always possible to get an appointment with them.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm seeing a GP every 1-2 weeks with some ongoing issues, but the place I go to is really unpredictable with who and when I'll be able to get an appointment for, so I end up seeing someone different every time.

Is this bad or will it make no difference?
    Itwould probably be better to have continuity in most cases but it's not bad to be seeing different people. They will all have access to the same records and it is even possible that one will think of something another didn't.
    If you are concerned that this is meaning they miss things or you're not getting proper care tough you can ask to see the same person.

ReputationRep:
    With any on-going issue it's always helpful to see the same GP if possible.

Firstly, it saves you having to explain your story over and over again meaning more time to focus on your progress. Secondly, the doctor who sees you on more than one occasion will have a better feel for if you're doing well or not, being able to compare you on a number of different visits.

That said, requesting a specific GP will inevitably increase your waiting times, so it's a decision left in your hands really.

ReputationRep:
    If it's an ongoing problem it's a bit better to see the same GP, in theory it means they know what's going on better than someone new and you can build a relationship with them. However, GPs are so busy that I doubt they remember all the details from your case anyway so I don't think it's the end of the world not to.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 21, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.