Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I've come from a BA in music and now doing postgrad in politics, although I'm a little stuck on which uni to go for...

Having applied to study Global Politics at Durham and IR at Bristol I've been offered places on both courses.

The league tables seem a little mismatched, Durham appears better for this field and more prestigious within the UK rankings, whereas Bristol outperforms in the world league tables.

Which do you think would be best generally and in terms of employability?? Or are both uni's regarded pretty similarly?

Advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Lesliemarieoc)
    Hey

I've come from a BA in music and now doing postgrad in politics, although I'm a little stuck on which uni to go for...

Having applied to study Global Politics at Durham and IR at Bristol I've been offered places on both courses.

The league tables seem a little mismatched, Durham appears better for this field and more prestigious within the UK rankings, whereas Bristol outperforms in the world league tables.

Which do you think would be best generally and in terms of employability?? Or are both uni's regarded pretty similarly?

Thanks!
    They're both very good universities - I'd look into the number of people likely to be on your course and choose based on which has the course and environment that will suit you best.

If employability is important to you then finding out what opportunities there are alongside your degree to make contacts, gain relevant experiences etc is worth asking directly about.

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I am basically in the same position, trying to chose between Durham and Bristol ( and maybe Bath) for a postgrad in International Relations! If you want to exchange opinions you are more than welcome, as I am struggling deciding as well!

ReputationRep:
    I've accepted a place onto a masters IR at Bristol...if either of you do accept your choice there and are looking for people to live with in a house or flat share let me know, as I'm coming from London!

ReputationRep:
    Will do, I_mac! As per now, I'm leaning towards Bristol, but the fact that Durham's national reputation is slightly better, stops me from deciding! Can I ask you what are the reasons that made you choose Bristol? I am coming from Italy so I don't have a clear perception of uni prestige in the Uk. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Well I was choosing between politics at Bristol and Gender Studies at UCL, I completely understand what you mean about wanting to go to a uni which is high on the league tables, but at the end of the day focus on the course and what the university can give you. I decided Bristol mainly because I'm struggling to afford London, but also because the course is great and when I went to visit all the staff were really helpful and I felt at home, much more about what the university could do for me. However both are very good universities

ReputationRep:
    I have the exact same problem. I'm an Irish student and I've just graduated from university in Dublin with offers to study an MSc. in Global Politics at Durham University or an MSc. in International Relations at the University of Bristol.

I was holding out for a Dutch university but I've been rejected by two so far because they're so strict about your previous education matching the subject matter. I'm also contemplating applying to Warwick but the more I think about it, the more I'm starting to like the idea of Durham/Bristol I just can't decide between the two.

For me, I see Durham as the more prestigious university with a degree that can be applied to a variety of employment opportunities but its slightly more expensive, and I'm afraid it will feel a bit remote to live there. Also it performs well nationally but I'm worried about its international recognition.

Bristol, on the other hand, seems to offer a cheaper course in a better environment (I like living in cities) but I'm apprehensive because I associate IR with specific employment opportunities in diplomacy and foreign office work. It also performs well internationally but has dropped in national league tables.

Basically

Durham: Better course / Remote location
    Bristol: Better location / Less prestige?

Thoughts? My ultimate goal is to pursue employment with an IGO or NGO like the United Nations / EU Commission / Human Rights Watch etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ddavdd)
    I have the exact same problem. I'm an Irish student and I've just graduated from university in Dublin with offers to study an MSc. in Global Politics at Durham University or an MSc. in International Relations at the University of Bristol.

I was holding out for a Dutch university but I've been rejected by two so far because they're so strict about your previous education matching the subject matter. I'm also contemplating applying to Warwick but the more I think about it, the more I'm starting to like the idea of Durham/Bristol I just can't decide between the two.

For me, I see Durham as the more prestigious university with a degree that can be applied to a variety of employment opportunities but its slightly more expensive, and I'm afraid it will feel a bit remote to live there. Also it performs well nationally but I'm worried about its international recognition.

Bristol, on the other hand, seems to offer a cheaper course in a better environment (I like living in cities) but I'm apprehensive because I associate IR with specific employment opportunities in diplomacy and foreign office work. It also performs well internationally but has dropped in national league tables.

Basically

Bristol: Better location / Less prestige?

Thoughts? My ultimate goal is to pursue employment with an IGO or NGO like the United Nations / EU Commission / Human Rights Watch etc.
    You're only there for 1 year so location doesnt really matter. I'm at Durham and it only really gets dull after 2 years.

ReputationRep:
    I would say Bristol, whilst I do live in Gloucestershire and there's always s surplus of jobs here

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lesliemarieoc)
    Hey

Thanks!
    Be advised that Global Politics and IR are two different courses.

It may look as though they are similar but the difference is substantial. IR focuses on international relations in a systemic and mechanical way, it's full of complex theories wherein you work with hypotheses and assumptions. It is very academic.

Global Politics is less rigid, works with an open paradigm and more journalistic.

It depends on what you want to do, but I would go with Durham. It is a nice masters for journalism etc.

ReputationRep:

For me I see Durham as the more prestigious university with a degree that can be applied to a variety of employment opportunities but its slightly more expensive, and I'm afraid it will seem a bit remote. Also it performs well nationally but I'm worried about its international recognition.

Bristol, on the other hand, seems to offer a cheaper course in a better environment (I like living in cities) but I'm apprehensive because I associate IR with specific employment opportunities in diplomacy and foreign office work. However, it performs well nationally and internationally.

Basically

Bristol: Better location /

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Hello ddavdd! I ended up choosing Bristol, I was stuck as you are on league tables, rankings and I really couldn't make a decision! Then I wrote to both universities asking what are the opportunities they were offering, in terms of relations with employers and I felt like Bristol was much better linked. This is just what I felt, but I also found out Bristol is one of the most targeted universities by employers (give a look at this https://www.timeshighereducation.com...ajor-employers). A couple of weeks ago I attended the open day in Bristol and I really liked the university and the staff, then I decided to accept my offer. I think in the end the difference in prestige is minimal, Durham does better nationally, while Bristol internationally, but as you are, I am most interested in working for a NGO, the UN etc and I decided that Bristol international reputation was very good after all. Write me a pm if you want

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.