Bocicowo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
In recent years, the term 'media studies' has become somewhat of a dirty word, with people comparing such a study to a 'Mickey Mouse' degree and other such derogatory terms. Yet, I feel that such degrees are certainly on par with most Humanities degrees, such as English, History, etc., so I am struggling to understand why Media Studies in particular gets such a bad reputation. It couldn't be the supposed lack of jobs/career choices at the end of it, as I am sure most other Humanities degrees suffer the same difficulties.

I would be interested to know of people's opinions on this as I quite nearly enrolled on such a degree, only to rethink at the last minute due to the poor reputation that they have.
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's a vocational degree without a vocation. Thing is, media jobs are in extremely high demand, realistically the only way to break into the industry is to know or be related to someone who already works there, or else be very, very persistent. For the latter approach work experience is the only thing that really counts, not your studies. Hence a media degree is very unlikely to be of use to you in the world of work.

If you want to go into media, then great, start getting work experience. If not, you're better off picking a more solid degree with better career opportunities. If you just want to study it for the sake of interest rather than your career, join a student radio/TV/newspaper instead.
Bocicowo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Dez)
It's a vocational degree without a vocation. Thing is, media jobs are in extremely high demand, realistically the only way to break into the industry is to know or be related to someone who already works there, or else be very, very persistent. For the latter approach work experience is the only thing that really counts, not your studies. Hence a media degree is very unlikely to be of use to you in the world of work.

If you want to go into media, then great, start getting work experience. If not, you're better off picking a more solid degree with better career opportunities. If you just want to study it for the sake of interest rather than your career, join a student radio/TV/newspaper instead.
In that case, would you say the same about most Humanities degrees, such as Politics/English/History, etc.?
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Bocicowo)
In that case, would you say the same about most Humanities degrees, such as Politics/English/History, etc.?
No, those aren't vocational degrees (with the possible exception of politics I suppose). Media studies is a much narrower field in comparsion. Graduate jobs for those degrees are still high in demand, but nowhere near as bad as trying to get a job in the media.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (113)
13.85%
I'm not sure (36)
4.41%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (249)
30.51%
I have already dropped out (20)
2.45%
I'm not a current university student (398)
48.77%

Watched Threads