The Student Room Group

Struggling to write my essays

I'm in my first year of university studying English Literature and I've been really struggling to write my essays. I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety which makes it extremely difficult for me to get my work done on time. I managed to get my essays extended over easter, but I wasn't able to write them during that time. I have brain fog and can't concentrate on analysing quotes at all. Now that I'm back at uni, my anxiety has become almost unmanageable again. I can't focus on anything and I don't know what to do because the essays are due on Thursday and I'm not able to write them. I don't know who to ask for help and I feel ashamed to tell my tutor that I didn't complete my work over easter. I'm really considering dropping out, but that would leave me with loads of debt that I can't afford to pay back. I don't know what I'm asking for by writing this exactly, I just don't know who to talk to about it.
Original post by rebeccapally
I'm in my first year of university studying English Literature and I've been really struggling to write my essays. I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety which makes it extremely difficult for me to get my work done on time. I managed to get my essays extended over easter, but I wasn't able to write them during that time. I have brain fog and can't concentrate on analysing quotes at all. Now that I'm back at uni, my anxiety has become almost unmanageable again. I can't focus on anything and I don't know what to do because the essays are due on Thursday and I'm not able to write them. I don't know who to ask for help and I feel ashamed to tell my tutor that I didn't complete my work over easter. I'm really considering dropping out, but that would leave me with loads of debt that I can't afford to pay back. I don't know what I'm asking for by writing this exactly, I just don't know who to talk to about it.

First of all, speak to your module tutor and i recon you could get an extension :smile:
Have you spoken to your student support team? Do you get any support from DSA?
As the deadline in Thursday, then there is a chance you might not make it. If thats the case you need to speak to your tutor, but also some sort of counselor or your GP. Ideally you should see them before, so they cna confirm your anxiety and depression have still not improved. If you have their support, then that would make it easier for your tutor as it would show it was still serious and a third party professional had confirmed what you were telling them.

Would an extension realistically work for you?

Rather than think of quitting, then maybe deferring and returning when you have it under control would be a better option.

Dont worry about the money, they wont ask you to start making repayments till you are earning £21k plus.
Do try and book some appointments to see people though, it will relieve some stress that you are doing soemthing. If you are unable to then phone a friend or your parents and ask them to help. Your mental health and overall well being is more important.
Original post by rebeccapally

It's sometimes possible to take a leave of absence for health reasons- you could speak to your tutor about this, as it doesn't sound like you're currently able to cope. Alternatively, you could talk to your doctor and see what they suggest, or talk to student support. You might also be able to switch to being a part time student, if you think this would help you?

WRT to dropping out, if you do this in first year, you can still get full funding for another course. You would only have to pay back you debt under the same conditions as if you had graduated, i.e. once you start earning over £21000 or whatever the threshold is now.
Can I just emphasise OP please go and talk to people the sooner the better. Your health is much more important than your studies. You will feel more in control when you ralise other people know and things will work out,

Quick Reply

Latest