Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my first year of a part time, 2 year MA and I'm hoping to apply to do my PhD in September 2017. I have a tutor at my current university who is very highly regarded in my chosen field and has said she would be happy to supervise me and also help me get ESRC funding.

What I am wondering though is whether it is possible or common to get funding if you haven't completed your MA? I have read that it's better to wait until you have your dissertation grade but is that strictly true? I don't really want to have a year out - I have been working full time for 2 years and studying my MA around work is pretty exhausting, I am really looking forward to the prospect of reading and researching as my 'day job' if that makes sense.

My tutor seemed pretty confident that my project would get funding and she herself has attracted millions in funding so far so I do trust what she says but I'm also not sure if she was aware that I'm part time. She only teaches me one module at the moment, which is one I've taken for extra credit from another school within my university.

[e] Also what bearing does it have on my funding application if I currently am only averaging a merit? Current average is 68% but my MA is in two parts, one being my undergrad subject (next year's modules) this year was all pretty new to me and I'm not doing as well in it as I had hoped. Again partially because I'm also working and it's very draining. I'm hoping next year with my familiar modules and dissertation I can push this up to a distinction
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by infairverona)
    I'm in my first year of a part time, 2 year MA and I'm hoping to apply to do my PhD in September 2017. I have a tutor at my current university who is very highly regarded in my chosen field and has said she would be happy to supervise me and also help me get ESRC funding.

What I am wondering though is whether it is possible or common to get funding if you haven't completed your MA? I have read that it's better to wait until you have your dissertation grade but is that strictly true? I don't really want to have a year out - I have been working full time for 2 years and studying my MA around work is pretty exhausting, I am really looking forward to the prospect of reading and researching as my 'day job' if that makes sense.

My tutor seemed pretty confident that my project would get funding and she herself has attracted millions in funding so far so I do trust what she says but I'm also not sure if she was aware that I'm part time. She only teaches me one module at the moment, which is one I've taken for extra credit from another school within my university.

[e] Also what bearing does it have on my funding application if I currently am only averaging a merit? Current average is 68% but my MA is in two parts, one being my undergrad subject (next year's modules) this year was all pretty new to me and I'm not doing as well in it as I had hoped. Again partially because I'm also working and it's very draining. I'm hoping next year with my familiar modules and dissertation I can push this up to a distinction
    ESRC funding for PhDs is devolved to Doctoral Training Centres. The decisions about who gets funding at each DTC is down to the DTC - the ESRC isn't involved directly.

See http://www.esrc.ac.uk/skills-and-car...c-studentship/

If your university/dept houses a DTC then it's likely that the supervisor concerned knows or is involved in the decisions about who gets funding and that's why they're confident you will be awarded. In some subject areas it's incredibly easy to get funding because there isn't the interest from students.

Alternatively the supervisor may already have funding for a certain number of PhD students linked to an ESRC grant: http://www.esrc.ac.uk/funding/guidan...-studentships/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    ESRC funding for PhDs is devolved to Doctoral Training Centres. The decisions about who gets funding at each DTC is down to the DTC - the ESRC isn't involved directly.

See http://www.esrc.ac.uk/skills-and-car...c-studentship/

If your university/dept houses a DTC then it's likely that the supervisor concerned knows or is involved in the decisions about who gets funding and that's why they're confident you will be awarded. In some subject areas it's incredibly easy to get funding because there isn't the interest from students.

Alternatively the supervisor may already have funding for a certain number of PhD students linked to an ESRC grant: http://www.esrc.ac.uk/funding/guidan...-studentships/
    My uni is on the list so I guess that's why. I didn't know that, thank you. I don't think there is a huge amount of interest in my area either

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.