Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Losing weight whilst simultaneously gaining muscle? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I would like to lose weight, whilst adding muscle at the same time.

I'm 16 years old and about 6ft 2. I'd like to get back into Rugby, but in order to do so, I need to lose weight. I'm currently about 95kg, Ideally I would like to be at 80kg by September.

I would like to know whether you all think this is possible, if so how should I go about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobDon)
    Hello,

I'm 16 years old and about 6ft 2. I'd like to get back into Rugby, but in order to do so, I need to lose weight. I'm currently about 95kg, Ideally I would like to be at 80kg by September.

I would like to know whether you all think this is possible, if so how should I go about it?
    Although possible, it is very difficult to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time (with the exception of a complete novice to training)

Generally speaking when someone that is holding a decent amount of mass tries to lose fat they find themselves struggling to even hold onto their muscle while dieting.

In your situation I would recommend picking one goal and running with it rather than trying to do two things at once.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    quick q- I'm not fat and am trying to build muscle. how do i lose belly fat though which I've always had? is cardio a waste?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davew3000)
    Although possible, it is very difficult to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time (with the exception of a complete novice to training)

Generally speaking when someone that is holding a decent amount of mass tries to lose fat they find themselves struggling to even hold onto their muscle while dieting.

In your situation I would recommend picking one goal and running with it rather than trying to do two things at once.

Best of luck!
    Yeah, I think I'll focus on losing weight at the moment.

But, how do I go about this? I've never had to be concerned about my weight because although I often ate very unhealthy I did a lot sports and never put on weight. However, due to cutting down on sports for A levels, I'm starting to get a smiley face in my belly...

Should I become a vegetarian or something? Should I only eat 2 meals a day??

I'm also considering morning jogs, but a friend of mine told me that jogging on hard gravel is bad for the joints. Is there any truth to this? A while ago, I was jogging but I started experiencing lower back pains, I don't know if this was because of the weight I've put on or something else...

ReputationRep:
    By all means focus on losing weight, but don't fall into the trap that weight lifting is soley for mass gaining.

If you want to change your shape, do weights and cardio.
    If you just lose weight, you're going to look like a smaller version of yourself instead of reshaping your body.

2 full body work outs + 2 cardio days for example.

Diet is the biggest factor in losing weight. Eat clean with good portions and you'll lose weight.

ReputationRep:

But, how do I go about this? I've never had to be concerned about my weight because although I often ate very unhealthy I did a lot sports and never put on weight. However, due to cutting down on sports for A levels, I'm starting to get a smiley face in my belly...

I'm also considering morning jogs, but a friend of mine told me that jogging on hard gravel is bad for the joints. Is there any truth to this? A while ago, I was jogging but I started experiencing lower back pains, I don't know if this was because of the weight I've put on or something else...
    I've just replied but its got to be ok'd by a mod, I think its because i've linked some vids
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Hello,

]

Read the Fitness FAQ http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3014757

That's how to do about it

Your 6'2 I'm guessing a forward? I returned to playing rugby this year, I'm 4 or 5 inches shorter than you, but heavier than that. You'd be a bean pole :lol: Losing say 5kg to 90kg and reassesing yourself there would be better.

Learn to lift and do a bit of cardio would be great

(Original post by aksuzberp)
    quick q- I'm not fat and am trying to build muscle. how do i lose belly fat though which I've always had? is cardio a waste?
    Lifting will put muscle on you and help with that look. you can't spot reduce fat

Don't become vegetarian unless you want to. It's not going to massively aid you. Don't starve yourself either.

Like everything, start running slowly, increase it in increments

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.