Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

So I am studying Nutrition, but I have come to realise in this past year that I would like to study Neuroscience; being at uni has opened my eyes to so many more fields of science and Neuroscience is something that really captivates me. I have spoken to my course tutor and other staff at the university but none of them are offering me any help or guidance in how I should approach this matter - do I stay on my course, finish then do neuroscience at postgraduate or try moving universities?

I have been redirected to several different members of staff an each are as inept at helping me as the past. I asked my course tutor first and he had not dealt with a situation like this before so referred me to speak to somebody else. This new member of staff never replies to my emails and when/if he eventually does, its with redundant information. - The university can't supply me with a transcript (so I can represent to another university) and this moment in time, due to some stupid convoluted reasoning, they can't supply me with one.

Does anybody have any advice? Further information: I am first year, I am achieving an average of 75%, but I didn't do well before uni; I did a access course and achieved mostly merits.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by OliverHartless)
    Hi,

So I am studying Nutrition, but I have come to realise in this past year that I would like to study Neuroscience; being at uni has opened my eyes to so many more fields of science and Neuroscience is something that really captivates me. I have spoken to my course tutor and other staff at the university but none of them are offering me any help or guidance in how I should approach this matter - do I stay on my course, finish then do neuroscience at postgraduate or try moving universities?

I have been redirected to several different members of staff an each are as inept at helping me as the past. I asked my course tutor first and he had not dealt with a situation like this before so referred me to speak to somebody else. This new member of staff never replies to my emails and when/if he eventually does, its with redundant information. - The university can't supply me with a transcript (so I can represent to another university) and this moment in time, due to some stupid convoluted reasoning, they can't supply me with one.

Does anybody have any advice? Further information: I am first year, I am achieving an average of 75%, but I didn't do well before uni; I did a access course and achieved mostly merits.
    I would finish your first year and look into switching. Have you asked your current university when they will be able to supply a transcript?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    I would finish your first year and look into switching. Have you asked your current university when they will be able to supply a transcript?
    Hey, I really appreciate the reply. I have, they were supposed to supply me with one at the end of march, but somehow they messed up the processing and never sent it. Now I can't get one until June... due to some bizarre system of theirs.
    This is a worry for me, as if I can get accepted as another university for Neuroscience, I may miss out on the deadline for choosing modules for Yr2 study and just be allocated to which is available.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Hey, I really appreciate the reply. I have, they were supposed to supply me with one at the end of march, but somehow they messed up the processing and never sent it. Now I can't get one until June... due to some bizarre system of theirs.
    This is a worry for me, as if I can get accepted as another university for Neuroscience, I may miss out on the deadline for choosing modules for Yr2 study and just be allocated to which is available.
    Definitely put some pressure on them as that seems like a very strange system with issuing transcripts. In the mean time contact universities about the possibility of studying neuroscience to get the ball rolling, send them a list of your grades from this year and your other qualifications and hopefully they can give you and idea if you might get a place.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

If I were you (not saying you should take this advice, just saying what I would do) I would achieve my nutrition whatever it is that you are doing, because then I think that would give you the platform to get you into neuroscience. It may be more helpful as you said you didn't do well before Uni. I say this because I plan to get an undergraduate in one subject then use my degree to go onto another course of study in a different subject. But that is a completely valid path to go should you wish, but also if you really feel like just going for neuroscience go ahead because thats okay too.

And I completely understand how frustrating it must be for your teachers not being able to help you, it must feel like banging your head against a wall! But, yes either of those options you've written about are completely okay. But are you happy in your nutrition course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DidiDana)
    If I were you (not saying you should take this advice, just saying what I would do) I would achieve my nutrition whatever it is that you are doing, because then I think that would give you the platform to get you into neuroscience. It may be more helpful as you said you didn't do well before Uni. I say this because I plan to get an undergraduate in one subject then use my degree to go onto another course of study in a different subject. But that is a completely valid path to go should you wish, but also if you really feel like just going for neuroscience go ahead because thats okay too.

And I completely understand how frustrating it must be for your teachers not being able to help you, it must feel like banging your head against a wall! But, yes either of those options you've written about are completely okay. But are you happy in your nutrition course?
    Hey DidiDana, thank your for the comment. I have considered that option, but it would be the worse case scenario for me. I feel I have done really well this year with 75% (according to our uni results for exams done so far, I'm averaged 8th out of 139 students on our course) and I feel this is all because of the diversity of lessons and content that we are being taught; physiology, disease, pharmacology etc. But in year 2 for my course it is strictly Nutrition with 1 pathophysiology module.. I feel as though I will become indifferent and nonchalant towards the degree and hate it. I will spend most of my spare time looking into the subjects I enjoy, I just wish I could study them as a degree instead. When I was at college I was never aware of all the fields and complexity in science so I never focused greatly on grades, but at uni so far I have really delved deep into it.

It's infuriating! Having to follow the most contrived rituals to get a little bit of support has been so hard. I have called a million people at my university to get information on certain things and have had nothing but trouble.

ReputationRep:
    Hey DidiDana, thank your for the comment. I have considered that option, but it would be the worse case scenario for me. I feel I have done really well this year with 75% (according to our uni results for exams done so far, I'm averaged 8th out of 139 students on our course) and I feel this is all because of the diversity of lessons and content that we are being taught; physiology, disease, pharmacology etc. But in year 2 for my course it is strictly Nutrition with 1 pathophysiology module.. I feel as though I will become indifferent and nonchalant towards the degree and hate it. I will spend most of my spare time looking into the subjects I enjoy, I just wish I could study them as a degree instead. When I was at college I was never aware of all the fields and complexity in science so I never focused greatly on grades, but at uni so far I have really delved deep into it.

It's infuriating! Having to follow the most contrived rituals to get a little bit of support has been so hard. I have called a million people at my university to get information on certain things and have had nothing but trouble.
    Well its a good thing that you know that would be a worst case scenario for you. And yes, you've done really well! I've very impressed by it, and 8th out of 139 students is an amazing achievement.

And I understand your point about becoming indifferent to your course, I couldn't imagine anything worse as I know that your motivation would probably just take a nose dive. But hey, at least you've done the following things already;

Achieved really great results in your first year (again, well done )
    Worked out what path of study REALLY interests you
    And you've worked out your worst case scenario (most people need more time to work out their best one)
    And started to try to plan out an avenue to get to the course you want to do (a lot of courage on your part already!)

So you've solved half your problems already, we just need to get you to where we want you to be. One thing I may be able to advise would be to see a careers advisor if you have one at uni? Perhaps they could give you a helping hand into how to get yourself onto a neuroscience course or at least just being a sound board to bounce ideas off of even? Even if you find that not helpful at least you can say you've shot that one down. But a Careers advisor should have some more indepth knowledge about these kind of situations. I know youre not the only person to have come to this kind of crossroad before, so that should be a comforting idea at least.

Sorry I couldn't give you more advice, but hopefully by pointing out all the stuff you've done so far has made it seem just a little more manageable. Perhaps even asking on here again and see if any students have successfully switched courses during their studies? Worth a shot.

Good luck with everything though. I'm sure it'll work out in the end (probably without the help of your teachers though)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.