The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
mikeski
Yeah a few, but not many.

yeh same i took out enough for the marks, but not that many cuz i didnt want to waste time writing out the article.
lol
what was question 1 about btw!!
key points? like what!
Reply 81
Tehgiggles.
For the BBC article, did people pick out quotes and use them?

i used quotes all the time and explained what effect they had and how its makes the reader feel and though etc
yeh i thought the first 3 questions was easy that on 2b i realsed i need to move onto the next question so i fink i got like 4 -5 marks on 2b
but overall i feel confident hopefully to get my B
Reply 82
At my school the teacher made everyone check they had the two inserts in the exam paper and took item 2 out of item 1 so it was pretty obvious at my school.
dipesh1
i used quotes all the time and explained what effect they had and how its makes the reader feel and though etc
yeh i thought the first 3 questions was easy that on 2b i realsed i need to move onto the next question so i fink i got like 4 -5 marks on 2b
but overall i feel confident hopefully to get my B

Can you remember any?
Reply 84
jazzzy
yeh same i took out enough for the marks, but not that many cuz i didnt want to waste time writing out the article.
lol
what was question 1 about btw!!
key points? like what!

Key points - I wrote about the Stats it gave and the argues about the increase of mobiles with the decrease of fags (few quotes there) and other things which made the argument more believable.
Reply 85
mikeski
Key points - I wrote about the Stats it gave and the argues about the increase of mobiles with the decrease of fags (few quotes there) and other things which made the argument more believable.

yeh but doesnt the stats come under facts and opinions?
this first question really confused me as i had no idea what it was asking.
i just said what it was about really.
What was the 1st q again?
Reply 87
jazzzy
yeh but doesnt the stats come under facts and opinions?
this first question really confused me as i had no idea what it was asking.
i just said what it was about really.

Yeah it was under that too, but the stats was a key point because point that the reader thinks about and it's an important piece of info.
Reply 88
Tehgiggles.
What was the 1st q again?

I think it was about the key points, the second part was about facts and opinions.

Question 2 was about comparing the two Items, 1st question about language, and second on pictures and layout.
lol, it was quite easy i think, and i lucked out sooo good lol

our school banned mobiles a few months ago so our eng teacher made us do some essays on it when we ran outa practise papers :wink: i had essentially answered qu3 3 times already ahahahahaha lucky me

and yeh there was loads to write about in every question in sect A.

did anyone else mention the anthropomorphism :P hehe
qu1 was a doddle

it comes up every paper

it simply asking if you understand the points it makes

you say, "it told us that blah blah, it also mentioned, bla blah, and you throw in reference but not too many and you be goood in the hood"
SouthernFreerider
lol, it was quite easy i think, and i lucked out sooo good lol

our school banned mobiles a few months ago so our eng teacher made us do some essays on it when we ran outa practise papers :wink: i had essentially answered qu3 3 times already ahahahahaha lucky me

and yeh there was loads to write about in every question in sect A.

did anyone else mention the anthropomorphism :P hehe

What did you write about for them to be banned?
Reply 92
SouthernFreerider
qu1 was a doddle

it comes up every paper

it simply asking if you understand the points it makes

you say, "it told us that blah blah, it also mentioned, bla blah, and you throw in reference but not too many and you be goood in the hood"

yeh i did that but i didn't know whether it was actually asking for that as the question was so vague.
never seen that question before so i didnt know how to handle it.
i couldnt tell by how the q. was written
Mark_E
I think it went quite well!!! Found section A fairly hard but in the end i think i did alright. With the mobile phone saying for a "better" mobile life and the other article using "greatest" i mentioned superlatives and how the mobile one could have used "best" to say they was nothing greater etc. Section A I found really good. I did the smoking question, and mentioned health risks, money, passive smoking, the smoking ban and then how to get help to stop smoking.

I put how the use of modal very "may" presented opinions as facts etc. It seemed to use "may" quite alot through the article so i focused on that quite abit.

Yeah, I mentioned the superlatives and used the same example too actually. Also, did anyone else notice how the people in the photo from the bbc article weren't, like, current? I moticed the fashion and hair was definately different so I put how they were smoking, but because they're wearing out of date clothes, the photo is implying smoking is out of date.

Also...the mobile had a heart on it and the advert was published during February so there's like a love theme going on...did anyone else put that?
Reply 94
I found the paper okay, part B was easier (the writing.) I did the persuade people not to smoke.
I found part A average I guess. I ran out of time though!
Reply 95
Yeah looking back it was clearly my fault with not seeing the second page and i should have been more aware. But unlike your teacher mine didn't remind us :frown:

Question 1a about the key points was relatively straight forward (even without the second page). I can see what you mean when you say about the figures being in 1b but what's the harm in writing bout it in question a? I thought the key points were to do with teenage smoking, why they felt teenagers smoked (smart, chic, image :s-smilie: ) and how mobile phones have possibly contributed to the decrease in the number of teenage smokers.
hmm.
i didnt like section A.
oh well its only english.:-)
Reply 97
I messed up on my timing.
I spent 1hr 20mins on section one, and only 25mins on section two!
Reply 98
clasigirlcs
Yeah, I mentioned the superlatives and used the same example too actually. Also, did anyone else notice how the people in the photo from the bbc article weren't, like, current? I moticed the fashion and hair was definitely different so I put how they were smoking, but because they're wearing out of date clothes, the photo is implying smoking is out of date.

Also...the mobile had a heart on it and the advert was published during February so there's like a love theme going on...did anyone else put that?

it was 2000, hence the out of date-ness
i looked because it didn't mention cameras on phones.
i don't know why...but for my article i did bullet points at the end of the last section.......

Latest