Plastic.City
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Hi,
i gonna start with my IB after summer holidays. But I'm not sure about taking Chemistry HL or SL. Is the syllabus nearly the same or is there actually a huge gap between HL or SL and what would you recommend, Chemistry HL or Maths HL?
Thx :tsr2:
andy_cole2
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i did maths HL it was a good course it was hard though as is chem, for HL in science they essnetially go into more detail in each section and then you get more to choose from with the options. I would have said there is a greater difference between maths HL and maths SL than chem HL and chem SL if u take maths studies and your good at maths is ludicrously easy whereas you still have to be competent in chem to do well at SL, whats ur planned uni course, that could affect it a lot...
~Lc~
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
the difference between the HL and SL is that SL are not required to go into detail in the "acids and basis" topic (it's option A for the SL) and in the organic topic they're not required to know the reaction mechanisms (free radicals and all that crap) and neither the optical isomerism. There are small bits and pieces in each topic you will not be required to take. If you see the chem syllabus there are two parts, the core and Advanced. If you are SL you will only require to take the core part which is pretty simple imo, but then again I did HL...
we can't recommend you a subject unless we know what you're applying for at Uni, because that is really what should determine what subjects you take for the IB... if you're going for some kind of engineering or to actually study maths at uni then take math HL, if not and you want to go into any other scientific field, then take chem HL
either way good luck next year
funnyeggplant
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
IMO taking a SL Science is harder than taking a HL Science in terms of balancing out your 6 subjects. the rigor will still be roughly the same, it's only the number of hours you will be spending on it; the "thinking power" expended during HL and SL is equal. Chemistry and Physics are two difficult sciences; be careful when choosing a HL or SL for the two, as it becomes a matter of how to balance them (with reference to your 5 other subjects) rather than difficulty.
IB-Seed
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ~Lc~)
the difference between the HL and SL is that SL are not required to go into detail in the "acids and basis" topic (it's option A for the SL) and in the organic topic they're not required to know the reaction mechanisms (free radicals and all that crap)
Eh? SL is not required to go into detail in any topics, not just acids and bases. Theres corresponding AHL material for each and every core topic, not just acids and bases and the "organic topic".

P.S: Chemistry SL is a JOKE.
Plastic.City
Thanks for your replies!
I want to study economics or business at university. Maybe i want to study in germany so i have to take at least one science or math at an higher lvl.
I would say that i'm quiet good in science and maths (average grade B), but i have no imagination about these subjects at IB.
My subjects might be:
German A1 HL
Economics HL
Maths or Chemistry HL
History SL
English B SL
Maths or Chemistry SL
~Lc~
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by IB-Seed)
Eh? SL is not required to go into detail in any topics, not just acids and bases. Theres corresponding AHL material for each and every core topic, not just acids and bases and the "organic topic".

yea I think I mentioned that.. I just know what in details is not required for acids and organic since they were the last two topics we took before exams, hence why my memory has failed me for the other topics:rolleyes:
(Original post by Mrs Sparrow)
If you are SL you will only require to take the core part
think that sums it up;yes;
*has a feeling she's gonna be justyfing all her posts from now on:rolleyes:*

(Original post by Plastic.City)
Thanks for your replies!
I want to study economics or business at university. Maybe i want to study in germany so i have to take at least one science or math at an higher lvl.
I would say that i'm quiet good in science and maths (average grade B), but i have no imagination about these subjects at IB.
My subjects might be:
German A1 HL
Economics HL
Maths or Chemistry HL
History SL
English B SL
Maths or Chemistry SL
then I say go for maths it certainly would help you out more in the business field (if you tok modules such as accounting at Uni ;yes; ) good luck
*irem*
Report 13 years ago
i had the exact same dilemma last year, then i decided on taking chemistry higher level... the book we use is clearly devided into HL and SL sections so at the end of each chapter we have 2-3 extra pages of information.. we go into more detail and it is required that we answer our questions in more detail.. some of the option topics for HL and SL differ as well
i find it quite fun to study but it depends of course..
hope u can make up your mind soon
Kyoran
Report 13 years ago
I'd say if you are really strong at maths, take Maths HL. When I mean really strong, I mean that you've gotten near full marks before your IB courses. Otherwise, i'd recommend Chemistry SL. Maths HL is a really tough subject.
Bandev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Kyoran)
I'd say if you are really strong at maths, take Maths HL. When I mean really strong, I mean that you've gotten near full marks before your IB courses. Otherwise, i'd recommend Chemistry SL. Maths HL is a really tough subject.
That really depends on how hard your school is before IB, but I agree Maths HL is very hard, (It goes 2/3 of the way through first year Melbourne Uni Maths course by the end of the 2 years). I really like Chem, and the higher level stuff I have done so far isn't too hard.
tinypony
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Ditto. Whoever states that chem SL is hard is clearly not a competent chemist. Look at the kinetics section, purely descriptive. Look at organic chemistry, only touches on the surface of the topic. Acid base equilibria, purely descriptive.

Chemistry standard level is like biology in disguise.
Plastic.City
Thanks!
But do i need a lot of prior-knowledge to face the higher chemistry course or is it possible to catch up some stuff that I haven't done before?
That's ridiculous that germans have to do a science at higher level if they wish to study in germany -.- ! I understand science but i would not say that i'm really keen on that.
tinypony
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
That's ridiculous that germans have to do a science at higher level if they wish to study in germany -.- ! I understand science but i would not say that i'm really keen on that.
That is not ridiculous if you have some insight into the german culture. Science has been a driving force in countries such as germany, and has proven to be a vital source of economic and intellectual stimulation. Not only in terms of the whole quantum revolution but as well in terms of there being some of the largest companies in the world (I guess Merck is a good example) which supports the economy.
Likewise science was one of the only things eastern european countries believed in for a long period of time. Science is a driving force in atheist countries and thus it has been imperative to get people to study it.
Bandev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I had only very basic prior knowledge before I started Chem HL, stuff like the periodic table and basic chemical equations, balancing equations etc. and I am doing fine.
CATIII
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Plastic.City)
That's ridiculous that germans have to do a science at higher level if they wish to study in germany -.- !
Not quite... According to my IB coordinator you have to either take one science or Math at HL.
Plastic.City
(Original post by Bandev)
I had only very basic prior knowledge before I started Chem HL, stuff like the periodic table and basic chemical equations, balancing equations etc. and I am doing fine.
Oh cool !
The same here! In that case i should be fine, hopefully^^.
Good luck guys and thanks!
HeineThomas
Report 13 years ago
i suggest u to pick math HL and chem SL
N467RX
Report 13 years ago
If you're good at chemistry go for HL, I'm taking it and it's not that hard, but yes, there's material that SL does not cover at all and HL does./
IB-Seed
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Chemistry HL is easier than Maths HL anyday.
Bandev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I would second that. The concept of Maths HL to me, is quite abstract.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (91)
22.03%
No (322)
77.97%

Watched Threads