Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I just wondered if any of you have experienced something similar - I'm fortunate to be starting a Schools Direct course this September. I'm currently volunteering at a local primary school & today we went on a short trip. In a nut-shell: I realise that transporting 70+ children is nerve-wracking however I felt as much of a particular member of staff's angsty frustration was directed at me & my less frantic approach as at the children.

I admit I often have those moments of self doubt & therefore I'm probably over-thinking it but have any of you had that feeling of pressure to conform to a certain behaviour & feel like you're failing if you don't?

Thanks for reading my ramblings!

L x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ew2488)
    Hi everyone,

I just wondered if any of you have experienced something similar - I'm fortunate to be starting a Schools Direct course this September. I'm currently volunteering at a local primary school & today we went on a short trip. In a nut-shell: I realise that transporting 70+ children is nerve-wracking however I felt as much of a particular member of staff's angsty frustration was directed at me & my less frantic approach as at the children.

I admit I often have those moments of self doubt & therefore I'm probably over-thinking it but have any of you had that feeling of pressure to conform to a certain behaviour & feel like you're failing if you don't?

Thanks for reading my ramblings!

L x
    Hi,

I'm currently in the last placement of my primary SD course, so I've definitely had this feeling that maybe I should conform to type - and this isn't limited to my teaching style either. However, these feelings are short-lived for me now. I used to feel terrible about it, but I quickly realised that I am who I am. I teach how I teach, because that is what works for me. Children react to me in a (mostly) positive way, with the occasional pushing of boundaries and trying to chat and play around in class. As this happens to every teacher I've observed, not just me, I don't worry too much about it.

There are so many different teaching styles out there, and it really is a case of each to their own. As long as the teaching style you adopt is effective and you are comfortable enough with it to continue it all day, then it doesn't make any difference.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beanbrain)
    Hi,

I'm currently in the last placement of my primary SD course, so I've definitely had this feeling that maybe I should conform to type - and this isn't limited to my teaching style either. However, these feelings are short-lived for me now. I used to feel terrible about it, but I quickly realised that I am who I am. I teach how I teach, because that is what works for me. Children react to me in a (mostly) positive way, with the occasional pushing of boundaries and trying to chat and play around in class. As this happens to every teacher I've observed, not just me, I don't worry too much about it.

There are so many different teaching styles out there, and it really is a case of each to their own. As long as the teaching style you adopt is effective and you are comfortable enough with it to continue it all day, then it doesn't make any difference.

Good luck!
    Thankyou! Although I'd never wish that feeling on anyone I'm so relieved that its not just me! Your approach is exactly the one I admire & even writing my concerns down has helped me to take a more detached view point. I guess my own approach will evolve & as you say as long as its effective & works for me that's all that matters. I hope the remainder of your placement goes well. Thanks again for your time & thoughts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ew2488)
    Thankyou! Although I'd never wish that feeling on anyone I'm so relieved that its not just me! Your approach is exactly the one I admire & even writing my concerns down has helped me to take a more detached view point. I guess my own approach will evolve & as you say as long as its effective & works for me that's all that matters. I hope the remainder of your placement goes well. Thanks again for your time & thoughts.
    Haha, I learned a few years ago that being myself is nothing to be ashamed of... although that doesn't stop the old doubts creeping up on me at times! I still worry now, but I know that I have to stay dedicated to who I am, not who someone else thinks I should be.

Not to mention, when you teach you become a different person anyway! As much as I was slightly sceptical of that when someone first told me, I now know it to be true. I'm not a drastically different person, I'm still me. But I'm less cynical and sarcastic with children, and much sweeter - I rarely use the words "sweetheart" or "poppet" and the like in casual settings, but they stream out of my mouth like honey when I'm teaching! You develop something of your own and it works for you.

I'm glad I have reassured you enjoy the months running up to the PGCE - it'll go in a flash!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beanbrain)
    Haha, I learned a few years ago that being myself is nothing to be ashamed of... although that doesn't stop the old doubts creeping up on me at times! I still worry now, but I know that I have to stay dedicated to who I am, not who someone else thinks I should be.

Not to mention, when you teach you become a different person anyway! As much as I was slightly sceptical of that when someone first told me, I now know it to be true. I'm not a drastically different person, I'm still me. But I'm less cynical and sarcastic with children, and much sweeter - I rarely use the words "sweetheart" or "poppet" and the like in casual settings, but they stream out of my mouth like honey when I'm teaching! You develop something of your own and it works for you.

I'm glad I have reassured you enjoy the months running up to the PGCE - it'll go in a flash!
    That's so interesting - that you can become a different person when teaching... I've never heard that. I'll be sure to look out for it come September I imagine that spending more time in the classroom allows you to develop your own approach & style. There is pressure everywhere to be a certain way & I know from my own school years that all teachers are different (for better or worse!). However its having the conviction to be yourself & I applaud you for that. I need to take note!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 19, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.