Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm planning on going to Manchester university full time, and my biggest concern is expenses. I'm from EU so I won't be able to apply for maintenance loans, and the university limits the work to 20 hours a week which is 576£ a month on the national living wage.I've done a bit of arithmetic and here's the layout of my estimated expenses in Manchester.

200-250£/m for a room
    175£/m for food.
    Which leaves me with 151£ a month left for things like transport (planning on walking wherever possible)

I'm wondering if this is a viable route?if this isn't viable I'm thinking of Student Loan Company as a possible temporary solution.
    Also distance learning isn't really an option as I want to study physics which will require lab work.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Your food bill seems rather high?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Your food bill seems rather high?
    Is it? I don't live in Manchester yet so my price estimates are based on educated guesses

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can easily eat well (meat/fish everyday) for £100 a month

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FurudoErika)
    So I'm planning on going to Manchester university full time, and my biggest concern is expenses. I'm from EU so I won't be able to apply for maintenance loans, and the university limits the work to 20 hours a week which is 576£ a month on the national living wage.I've done a bit of arithmetic and here's the layout of my estimated expenses in Manchester.

200-250£/m for a room
    175£/m for food.
    Which leaves me with 151£ a month left for things like transport (planning on walking wherever possible)

I'm wondering if this is a viable route?if this isn't viable I'm thinking of Student Loan Company as a possible temporary solution.
    Also distance learning isn't really an option as I want to study physics which will require lab work.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    SLC will only fund your living costs if you've lived in the UK for the last 5 years so they wouldn't be a temporary option.

ReputationRep:
    Your rent seems very low, you will struggle to find somewhere that cheap a month.

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend living full time, part time living likely comes with some serious logistical (and biological) difficulties.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    your food bill is too high, if you're really short on money you can manage on £20 a week (obviously then you need to budget for toiletries, cleaning stuff etc) but £25-30 should be the maximum really

your rent estimate is also really low, I haven't seen student accommodation much under £300 and I don't live in a city, I doubt you will find anything for £250 or less

I think once you get a realistic rent figure you are not going to have enough to live on

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.