Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I only realised it today, but its pretty clear now that its been going on for a while.

My mum keeps lying about me when talking to her friends and my relatives, pretending that i didn't screw something up when I did, etc.

e.g. she said I got into a uni which actually rejected me, but she was saying that I rejected the uni and picked a worse one close to home.

How do I go about telling her to stop doing it?

Wouldn't be shocked if you was Asian

(I am Asian myself.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I only realised it today, but its pretty clear now that its been going on for a while.

My mum keeps lying about me when talking to her friends and my relatives, pretending that i didn't screw something up when I did, etc.

e.g. she said I got into a uni which actually rejected me, but she was saying that I rejected the uni and picked a worse one close to home.

why does it hurt?

tell her you know the balls she's pulling and get it straight with her that you know what's happening

(Original post by thefatone)
    why does it hurt?

tell her you know the balls she's pulling and get it straight with her that you know what's happening
    It hurts because I know that shes trying to cover up my screw ups, because i'm not good enough to meet expectations.

In reality, it just pisses me off a lot. I got really angry when I overheard it.

Well im going to go confront her now, wish me luck!

My mum is the same. During a phone conversation with a relative, I was asked asked how uni was and I replied 'Oh, I left...' Before I could say anything, my mum took the phone from me and asked me what I was doing. I dropped out and will be starting a different course at a different uni in September and she wanted me to lie and tell them how much fun I was having at university.

Luckily, I'm happy with my choices and confident in myself so it doesn't affect me. If anything, I feel sorry for her. I don't see how anyone can be happy while caring so much about other people's opinions.

ReputationRep:

You need to find a convenient moment and talk to her

ReputationRep:
    It hurts because I know that shes trying to cover up my screw ups, because i'm not good enough to meet expectations.

In reality, it just pisses me off a lot. I got really angry when I overheard it.

Well im going to go confront her now, wish me luck!
    i guess that's what she's implying with her actions

good luck! ^-^
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    either deal with it with good humour or have a word with her.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.