Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need help with this casual, not so casual, long distance muck Watch

I met this girl about 4 months ago and we went on our first date. Before we'd even gone on our first date we were texting for a month everyday until the early hours of the morning. We got on really well on our date saw each other again etc but she lives far away so we don't see each other too often.

Now before our first date we talked about what we were looking for. I was looking for a relationship but she was looking for a casual relationship (i.e. non-monogamous). We both really liked each other so we overlooked this and still decided to 'date' and see where it went.

The confusing part is this. We get on so well and there have been some hints from her end that we want to make this official and some hints that we don't want to make it official. But the thing stopping us (her especially I think) is the fact that she will be starting a 1 year course in another country in Europe in september. I am confused as to what she really wants. If she wants to keep this casual why does she text me so often. We know things about each other that nobody else knows.

Why would you open yourself up to a person so much if you only plan on keeping it very short term/casual? I recently told her i miss her and she told me not to become too attached because she'll be leaving the country soon. So my second question is should I just break this off now before I become even more attached or should I carry on in a detached manner? Uggh so confused

ReputationRep:
    I think she wants to make it official and wants more but shes avoiding it like you said, because of her moving away. Maybe shes not sure of your stance on it, and needs encouragement from your side - it depends how you feel. In most situations like this you really need to talk it out. Tell her how you feel, just be honest and hopefully discuss where to go from here. It depends if you can deal with long distance - and if its even worth it for a girl you recently met. Only you can answer the question, but if you decide this is a short term thing I'd say you call it off before you get more attached... good luck

(Original post by Aykem)
    I think she wants to make it official and wants more but shes avoiding it like you said, because of her moving away. Maybe shes not sure of your stance on it, and needs encouragement from your side - it depends how you feel. In most situations like this you really need to talk it out. Tell her how you feel, just be honest and hopefully discuss where to go from here. It depends if you can deal with long distance - and if its even worth it for a girl you recently met. Only you can answer the question, but if you decide this is a short term thing I'd say you call it off before you get more attached... good luck
    Thanks for the advice

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.