The Student Room Group

Self-employed freelance student job - should I be paying tax?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by jamesthehustler
i didn't register my business until i was 18 even though it had been interoperating 4 years and makeing a couple of grand a year on avarage and when i say i
i mean an accountant i paid to do it

What?
Original post by jenigma
What?

i wouldn't worry about registering or just get legal advise
It's unclear whether James is recommending you break the law or not, but just to clarify - you do NOT need to register as a 'business' when becoming self employed. For many (and the vast majority of tutors operate in this way) you can be classed as a 'sole trader'. This means you do not need to go through the complex procedures involved in setting up a company/ filing company accounts etc.
Reply 23
Original post by The Tutor Pages
It's unclear whether James is recommending you break the law or not, but just to clarify - you do NOT need to register as a 'business' when becoming self employed. For many (and the vast majority of tutors operate in this way) you can be classed as a 'sole trader'. This means you do not need to go through the complex procedures involved in setting up a company/ filing company accounts etc.

I think that's what I've gone for. Hopefully my UTR will be with me soon and I can get started on the next stage of the process.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending